OT: Homeowners Ins.

Page 3 of 3

"RBM" wrote

Was hoping someone would say it for me! Yes, although I have seen increases over time (to be expected) but the few times I have needed them, the service was above and beyond any reasonable expectations. They literally *helped me* maximize claim values after a renter did a lot of damage here. Most wasn't claimable (just not legal, no track on when it happened) but they even found dates of wind storms that could account for damages in a recent enough time to account for things (I was out of the country). Really exceptional service.
If I get in trouble, I can count on them to have the money to help me fix it unlike a small company that may go chapter 8 as some experienced after Katrina.
snipped-for-privacy@screwmail.com wrote:

Nope. You might want to check out Amica.
I've been using them for years -- originally looked at them because they have very high customer satisfaction on actual claims. I go price shopping every couple years but never find anyone who can beat their rates for the same coverage.
Highly recommended. I never thought an insurance company could be this good.
On 7/20/2010 10:28 PM, Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:

Ours went up 33% (yes, THIRTY-THREE) across the board this year. The agent invited us to shop around and blamed it on greensburg and osawatomie (KS) claims. We are shopping. ELEVEN thousand just for home insurance is a might bit ridiculous.
--
Steve Barker

Eleven THOUSAND? $11,000.00 ???? One house?
On 7/21/2010 10:13 AM, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

LOL! No, nine. But 8 are rentals with no content ins.
--
Steve Barker
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 10:22:03 -0500, Steve Barker

That sounds like a bargain. In Florida a $3000-$4000 insurance bill for one house is not uncommon. (with wind and flood) State Farm, Allstate and the other big guys simply canceled everyone.

Much better than a 100% increase or dropped completely which is what happened to almost every HO in FL after the '04 hurricanes whether you had a claim or not. Not to mention that almost all deductibles are now $1000 and not $500.

Read your policy again. Your windstorm policy deductible is between 4% and 10% of the insured amount, depending on what you are willing to pay. That is more like an $8,000-10,000 deductible.
I dropped my windstorm.
On Jul 21, 4:52pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Nope. 2% for *hurricane* damage.
How did you drop something that is required by law in the state of FL if you have a mortgage?

I don't have a mortgage. Where are you that you got the 2%. Must be inland. They wanted almost $3000 for flood and wind with the 4% deductible (Royal Palm)
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 22:28:28 -0500, Wilfred Xavier Pickles

wildfires etc - the price is going up EVERYWHERE - and 8.5% is on the low side.
Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:

Yes YES. We've had our policy with Allstate since 1982, and our new premium bill represents a 56% increase! I'm not even going to call them. I got a quote from Hartford Fire for $300 less than last year.
Never a claim in all those years, so I don't know what's going on - a penalty for sticking with one company?
Keith
--- ---