OT - HELP !!! I'm falling and can't get up!!!!

Page 2 of 2
On 2/4/2011 4:11 PM, Robert Green wrote:

OK, now I understand. I have the same problem with my cordless phones when I leave one clipped to my belt. Lucky for me I normally hit "off" or "talk". "talk" by itself just gives it a dial tone, doesn't call anyone.

him.
Fry's was selling Verizon camera phones made by Samsung for $7. I bought a whole bunch. There's one in each glove compartment and I gave one to an elderly friend who had a spontaneous fall on the way to the kitchen and was lying there until his daughter found him. Got a little belt pouch for it so he can have it with him all the time.
Since they're prepaid, there's no worry that someone will break into the car and take them and run up a huge cellphone bill. I haven't activated any of them simply because despite the bold letters that say "Pay only on the days you use it" they've rigged it so that money evaporates from the account the second it's activated. VW is the worst cell phone carrier in the world but they also have the best coverage.
-- Bobby G.
On 2/3/2011 9:15 AM, Robert Green wrote:

I think I saw somewhere an emergency call button that works on the cellphone system. The emergency call pendants I sold years ago are connected to the home's POTS line and don't work when the land line is out. I believe there's added safety with a unit that works on the cellphone system.
TDD
On 2/2/2011 10:43 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I've fallen too many times, I suppose I take stupid risks and I have to learn to take it easy. Got a concussion once that made me loose my sense of taste and smell the next day, then it came back slowly in a couple days. Scary! Nowadays they don't tell you to stay awake anymore like they used to. Mostly get lots of rest and no sudden moves.
On 2/2/2011 9:43 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Don't fool around with a head injury my friend, if you get dizzy or feel any lasting ill effects, please get checked out. You could at least give your doctor a call and let him/her know what happened to you and ask for their advice. I hope you're OK.
TDD

Ed, I second that advice ...
--
Best regards
Han

Blood pressure OK? While the concussion can have caused that, low blood pressure can also.
As far as "Happened so fast I don't know" is concerned, I know about that. One moment I was walking along an edge ~ 1.5 foot over a playground area, the next I was flat on my back in the playsand, and my foot was on an impossible angle to my leg. It's been almost 7 months since they put a couple of plates and umpteen screws into my leg bones, and I'm basically back to normal, but slower and with more aches. THis snow isn't helping.
--
Best regards
Han
wrote in message

ice
Ouch! Same thing happened to me. One moment I was walking upright and the next thing I knew I was flat on my back. Didn't hit my head very hard though, but oh what a sore butt. Any time you hit your head so hard you end up stunned or unconcious, you need to be checked out. A friend ended up with with they call a contre-coup concussion:
http://www.braininjury.com/injured.html
That's when the brain sloshes around so hard from the impact that injury occurs on the side opposite to the original blow. Sometimes symptoms don't show right away. Katherine Graham, former publisher of the Washington Post, slipped on the ice and cracked her skull a few years back and died as a result. Ice is far more dangerous than people realize. Unless you *have* to be out in it, stay inside and wait for a thaw.
-- Bobby G.

Thick woolen sock over the shoes should give traction, but the skipoles are also helpful, or bellyflopping if you like that (see the videos of pinguins moving over ice/snow).
--
Best regards
Han

Scattering some sand or kitty litter over the ice would help.
Or maybe take some ice skating lessons so you learn how to balance better while slipping around.
Learn how to fall properly so you don't hurt yourself too bad.
-C-
Storman Morman asked:

"Crampons" that are rubber based and pull on over shoes are sold by L.L.Bean for about $20. I never go out without them in the winter. Another type that has coiled springs for gripping (YakTraks) are ok on packed snow but don't grip well on ice.
---MIKE---

>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')
On Feb 2, 8:29am, "Stormin Mormon"

It was suppose to be an effect of global warming that icing instances will start occurring much more often. When its bad, you loose your power, you run out of food, and can't go anywhere, and can't get gas, or anything.
greg
On 2/2/2011 3:02 PM, zek wrote:

Darn that Global Warming,...er, Cooling,...er, Change,...er, Hope and Change,...er, I'll blame somebody or something. :-)
TDD
A couple of years ago, my sister and her husband (who live in Michigan) got some YakTrax and say they are great. I see there are several models, but I think they got the basic one:
http://www.yaktrax.com/walker
Should be $15 or less. Currently $13 at Sierra Trading Post, and if you know where to find the current free shipping question, you never need to pay for shipping.
Apparently these are much easier to carry around than real crampons. I'm sure they would not be sufficiently reliable or durable for serious ice climbing etc, but that's not what they are intended for.
Edward