OT: Hand pain

Page 2 of 3
On 12/6/2015 1:41 PM, Muggles wrote:

But I'm not sure the same thing is happening in the center of my palm. I.e., I can *see* (with my EYES!) how the handle is digging into the edges of my palm. I don't see any similar "focused assault" in the center of the palm.

so my schedule has to "move up". And, two others who are "on their way out" -- one just entering hospice, the other has already written his obit, etc. Biscotti are the healthiest "treat" that I make -- no fat (essentially, the body just sees it as "sweet bread")
On 12/6/2015 2:59 PM, Don Y wrote:

The center of the palm has less meat there, and an assortment of tendons, and you can bruise and strain both, I'm pretty sure.
[...]

awe ... sorry to hear about your friends.
--
Maggie

On 12/6/2015 3:28 PM, Muggles wrote:

A natural consequence of growing old. I am learning that the trick is in how you *handle* it: "woe is me" vs "que sera, sera"
On 12/6/2015 4:53 PM, Don Y wrote:

All too true. Still, I'm sure you'll miss your friends, and for that I feel for you.
--
Maggie

On 12/6/2015 3:56 PM, Muggles wrote:

than "miss".
On 2015-12-06 3:26 PM, Don Y wrote:

I'm not sure if an electric stand mixer with a dough hook may be an option for you, it would be worth it as a cheap experiment, especially if you already have a mixer and just need to pick up a dough hook.
--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati
On 12/6/2015 3:36 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:

Won't work. I've made these often enough (probably 50 batches/year) and have always eyed the possibility of using the large Hobart mixer to make the dough. But, it is simply too sticky and viscous. E.g., I can easily make 20 doz pecan sandies in the mixer (easiest Rx I have -- primarily BECAUSE the mixer can do all the work!). But, this small batch of dough would probably strain even *it's* ~3/4HP motor!
And, you'd lose too much dough clinging to the hook (with spoon, I can use a knife to scrape any remaining dough off the spoon and off the sides of the mixing bowl)
On Sun, 06 Dec 2015 15:59:05 -0700, Don Y

A Kitchen Aide will pretty much rip your arm off the way it is geared.
On Sun, 06 Dec 2015 18:54:13 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

A hobart makes a kitchen aid look like a lightweight.At least the institurional Hobart. I helped my friend move his daughter's newly aquired Hobart and it took a set of ramps and the 2 of us to get it off the pickup. It went on. on a pallet, with a forklift.. Takes a 30 inch bowl. (60 quart?)
There is also a "little" 20 quart Hobart. and the "Legacy"11.3 and 18.9 quart jobs.
They also make them up to about 140 US quart capacity. with a "built-in forklift" to handle the bowl!!!

Hobart == Kitchen Aid
If the pain is in the muscle under the thumb, that could be strained and cramping. I get that sometimes with fat-handled paint brushes doing house painting. The muscle cramps from the long-term gripping.
I don't think I've ever had a pain in the rest of the palm, but I'd suspect a similar thing there. My first idea would be to try a spoon with a different shape or diameter handle. If it's thick then try thin, and vice versa.
On 12/5/2015 3:22 PM, Mayayana wrote:

This isn't really a cramp. It's more like "being beaten on" (see my post elsewhere this thread)

Yes, I'm sure thicker would make a difference. Which is why I mentioned the "old age" tie in: it seems that older folks *want* large/fat handles. So, what is it that causes "aging" to show a preference for this larger diameter that isn't true of "younger" hands?
E.g., I could understand arthritic hands not wanting to put undue strain on the joints (knuckles). But, not sure that explains the "fat handles syndrome".
On 12/8/2015 5:55 PM, Don Y wrote:

Maybe we just get wiser when we're older because we've figured out that thicker handles work better than thin handles?
--
Maggie

On 12/8/2015 4:58 PM, Muggles wrote:

have a hard time with smaller diameter items -- bottle caps, etc. Like the hand doesn't want to close down that small. Or, maybe it has less strength in this configuration?
<shrug> Dunno. I will start asking friends as these situations come up so they can relate what they are feeling "first hand"...
On 12/8/2015 7:03 PM, Don Y wrote:

Hadn't thought about the bottle caps point of view. That's certainly interesting.
--
Maggie

On 12/8/2015 6:31 PM, Muggles wrote:

I don't know if it is lack of strength, inability to "close a fist", or something else... but, it seems like manual dexterity suffers with age. I have no problems with small caps (1") *or* large (4") but many of my friends have problems with both these extremes.
On 12/8/2015 8:51 PM, Don Y wrote:

hmmm I have small hands and short fingers, so I don't have much of a grip when it comes to larger bottle caps or even jars, for that matter. Do you think size of hands has anything to do with it?
--
Maggie

On 12/8/2015 11:19 PM, Muggles wrote:

For large diameter, sure. But, that "problem" would exist from adolescence, etc.
For *small* diameter, though, small hands shouldn't pose a problem. Indeed, larger hands can get in the way for smaller diameters (forcing the user to use fingertips instead of the length of the finger)
On 12/9/2015 1:26 AM, Don Y wrote:

I had a similar problem with my small hands and short fingers when I played guitar.
--
Maggie

On 12/09/2015 11:13 AM, Muggles wrote:

Big hands and fingers are no picnic either. I never could play a barre A without muting something.