OT. Giant TV screens,,

Page 2 of 2

The unintended consequences of repealing drug laws can hardly be any worse than the *intended* consequences of the laws as they exist now.
Case in point, part I: Try to justify the 18-to-1 disparity (formerly 100-to-1) in sentencing for possession of crack cocaine vs. possession of the identical mass of powder cocaine. Users of the first tend, generally, to have darker skin than users of the second; explain why this is unrelated to the disparity in sentencing.
Case in point, part II: Try to justify making a criminal act out of John Q. Citizen smoking marijuana in the privacy of his own living room -- bearing in mind that the only defensible reason for depriving any citizen of life, liberty, or property is that his conduct in some way harms or imperils someone *else*. Explain how this is qualitatively different from drinking whiskey in the privacy of his own living room, to the extent that the former should be a crime and the latter should not.
Case in point, part III: In many jurisdictions, possession of more than some threshold amount of a substance upgrades the crime from possession (typically a misdemeanor) to possession with intent to distribute (typically a felony). I make my own beer and wine at home; at present, I have approximately 25 gallons of beer, and 50 of wine, in my basement. Explain why this should be legal, but I could go to prison for four years, and be fined ten thousand dollars, for having ten pounds of marijuana along with the beer and wine.
<stuff snipped>

Prohibition showed how futile it was to try to keep people from alcohol, a substance that can be produced quite easily at home. Just like marijuana. The "bonus" from Prohibition was the creation of a powerful criminal underclass (just like what's happening in Mexico) that haunts us still today. My lawyer friend assures me that the alcohol industry spends millions to fund alleged "grass roots" anti-drug groups (astroturfers, after the fake "green") and lobbyists because they know what legalization will do to their profits. They'll plummet.

It won't be that way too much longer. Lots of lives have been ruined for idiotically small amounts of pot. When enough lawmaker's kids get screwed, the laws will change. Another couple of years of bad tax revenue in California, and they'll legalize what already is an enormous industry.
It's people who have been brainwashed that pot leads to heroin that keep these laws afloat, but they'll die out. Or when the get glaucoma or cancer, they'll find that there is indeed a legitmate medical use for it that no other man-made pharmaceutical provides. The war on drugs is just like our two other wars. Not much to show for a shi+ load of money spent.
Speaking of brainwashing I saw a piece on TV about the alleged four areas of the tongue (salty, sweet, sour and bitter). That map we all saw as kids is total BS, just like the pot to heroin myth:
http://www.livescience.com/7113-tongue-map-tasteless-myth-debunked.html
"Only in recent years have taste receptors been identified. One of the first breakthroughs in taste research came in 1974 with the realization that the tongue map was essentially a century-old misunderstanding that no one challenged."
-- Bobby G.
On 8/22/2011 12:50 PM, Tegger wrote:

Forget it- we've tried to explain it to harry before- if you don't hang out in areas (mainly gang-infested old urban areas) where people carry guns to prove how manly they are, and don't screw around with married women, your chances of getting shot in this country are right up there with getting hit by lightning. I've been to other countries, and read about most. I like my odds of survival, physical and financial, much better here.
--
aem sends...

<stuff snipped>

I found that once I understood what enormous protection the Constitution provides the citizens of the US that I became very reluctant to go anywhere outside of its umbrella. My wife had to take a special course before the Army sent her to Saudi Arabia about all the ways she could get herself into serious trouble and how serious that trouble could be.
She could not drive or sit in the front seat of a vehicle when off base and she was advised strongly to wear burkhas or hijabs. IIRC, AF women at Prince Sultan AFB HAD to wear them until somebody sued. Still, she said you just didn't go into town in uniform for ANY reasons. Wearing a hijab, she said, was just like wearing camoflauge BDO's. You do it to survive. And *these* are our allies!
They've got all our petrodollars, they've got our best weapons. Why aren't *they* leading the charge to create muslim democracies instead of us?
-- Bobby G.