OT - Gas Prices. Now I have to carry cash.

Page 3 of 5
On 9/18/2012 5:56 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Businesses know there is a normal distribution of customers and will sell to all of them. Some folks just want gas and some will buy that $3 bottle of water. They already have the sunk cost of the pumps/tanks/equipment plus other expenses. So your money is just as good even if you only buy fuel.
Add pictures here
βœ–

When it was the norm to pay after filling the tank, sure, get 'em in the store. However, drive-offs killed that. I don't think many would be happy waiting in line twice to pay (fillups still piss me off when the network is down).
Also note that the business that owns the pumps and the gas is usually different than the one that owns the slurpees. The EPA saw to that.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sep 18, 11:24 am, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

But that's what started the thread. To fill-up using cash - to get the discount - you often have to wait in line twice.
Wait in line...give 'em $75...pump $65...wait in line...get your $10 change.
In addition, some of the cheaper stations don't have pay at the pump even if they don't offer cash discounts.
Wait in line...hand them a card, "Fillling up on pump 3"...pump $65...wait in line..."Please enter your pin number"..."Thanks have a nice day"
For me, it oftens depends on a combination of 2 things:
1 - How much of a hurry I am In. 2- How much gas I need.
Last weekend I drove 700 miles round trip to my dad's. Since gas stops were for full tanks, I was willing to put up with the inconvenience of going inside to save as much as possible. If I'm in a hurry or I need to top off for some reason, I'll pay the higher cost for the speed and convenience of paying at the pump.
Note: My logic doesn't need to make sense to the rest of the world...it works for me.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Right, but my bet is that few actually pay cash (and stand in line twice).

I haven't seen a station without pay-at-the-pump here in many years. Sometimes the pump is broken, though.

As I said in another post in the thread, I've found that the places with cash discounts aren't the cheapest anyway. I avoid them at all costs.

Sure. I don't like guessing at how much cash I need to leave (with the possibly a third time in line) with the minimum wage moron at the counter. I'd rather owe it to them than have to beat it out of them. ;-)
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sep 18, 11:56 am, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

They still exist. The cheapest gas available near my dad's house doesn't take cards at the pump, but they don't offer a cash discount either. Their price is alway .02 - .03 cheaper than anyone else around, even without a cash discount.

That's what the Gas Buddy app on my smart phone is for. I sort by price then see how far it is from where I am or am going and balance the 2 pieces of information. The thing is, many times the cheapest price listed by the app is the cash price but you don't know that until you get to the station. That's why I now need to carry cash if I want to get the discount.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 09/18/2012 10:46 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[nip]

[snip]
I wound pick an amount that's less than a whole fill-up and pay that. That would be enough gas.
I really don't like being penalized for OTHER PEOPLE'S crimes (that "pay in advance" *******).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

I like to keep an eye on gas mileage. I know about how many miles I can go on a tank but that requires a full tank.

We're penalized for other's crimes every day. You have locks on your door, and a .357 in the nightstand, right?
Add pictures here
βœ–

So hundreds (thousands?) of gas stations across the country all "have their backs up" and are willing to lose money by giving cash discounts?
Are they all really that bad at running a business or are they all forced to lose money because one or two have chosen to and the rest have to in order to get the business?
Add pictures here
βœ–
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Lots of owner-operated businesses (gas stations, corner stores, etc) will show two prices for the stuff they sell - one for cash and one for credit.
When it costs you 3 to 5 cents to process every $1 worth of credit-card sales, you do come out ahead when you offer 2 or 3 cents per dollar cheaper price for a cash sale.
That, and without a paper trail for a cash sale, you can cook the books for income tax purposes.
Something you're not hearing much about in the MSM is that the underground economy is huge and getting bigger. When the "official" unemployment number goes from 8.3% to 8.1% because a few hundred thousand people drop out of the job markets and the participation-rate goes down - where do you think those people are going? They're going to the underground economy.
The primary reason why the US gov't is taking internet monitoring and data mining to a whole new expensive level is to look for tax cheats.
Let no dollar of income go untaxed.
You'll pay for your stupid "wars" - one way or another.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 9/17/2012 7:14 PM, Johnny Cash wrote:

There's too much of a paper trail with gasoline for that to work, but for other businesses it's the big incentive to encourage cash over credit.
Add pictures here
βœ–

But that cup of coffee you grab can be veeeeerrrry profitable.
Add pictures here
βœ–

There's no paper trail, really? IRS and state revenuers have ways of estimating sales based on information they receive from third parties during an investigation, such as electricity usage. In the case of a gas station, they'll check if the station owner's record of supplied gasoline matches his supplier's records. It's easy to assess under-deposited excise taxes, like state and federal motor fuel taxes and state sales tax.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 9/18/2012 4:12 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:

Some folks are pretty naive. In my state the state revenue folks are the most aggressive but all they need to do is say subpoena the supplier records and estimate sales and if they can't get records for some reason they will do stuff like watch the business operation and estimate sales. Then they demand the money. If you were playing games you have no leg to stand on.
Especially in the case of gas or other taxable liquid fuels you would have to be a total moron to play games because all wholesale transactions are completely documented.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Correct. MANY businesses find the cost of cash transactions is significantly higher than credit card charges when everything is taken into account.
Add pictures here
βœ–

They CAN raise an unholy stink about it, but they can't enforce it, like they can for a "premium" on credit card sales.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 09:38:17 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It was never "illegal". There was wording in the contract stating that the merchant couldn't surcharge for plastic but they could give a discount for paper. AIUI, the whole issue was tossed in the Visa/MC price-fixing suit recently.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sep 17, 1:49 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

In 10 states it is prohibited by law for retailers to charge consumers a fee for using a credit card (California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma and Texas). http://usa.visa.com/personal/using_visa/checkout_fees/index.html#10states -----
- gpsman
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Not any more.
"The agreement, which provides for a temporary reduction in rates for merchants and allows them to impose surcharges on customer purchases, follows a seven-year legal battle with U.S. retailers that accused the two largest payment networks of conspiring with banks to fix swipe fees, or interchange."
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-07-13/visa-mastercard-settle-merchants-antitrust-swipe-fee-suit.html
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Monday, September 17, 2012 12:38:17 PM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:

card and get the cash discount. Around here it's 10 cents a gallon, cash or debit.

It used to be but they recently passed new regulations which allow that.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 06:43:58 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

I use a card that gives my 5% back. $3.50 gas is about 17 cents off a gallon. Problem solved.
I've never found a value in using a debit card when most credit cards give 'cash rewards' these days.
Jim
Add pictures here
βœ–