(OT) Computer monitor V/S HDTV with Computer input

Page 1 of 2
My old LCD 17" computer monitor died and I'm not stuck using a 13" CRT monitor, till I get another monitor. Although Ebay has some USED 17" monitors fairly cheap, I'm thinking that I might just invest in a NEW monitor. I'm sticking with 17" or maybe a 19". anything larger is too big for my space.
I noticed that a monitor about that size is darn near the same price as a HDTV of comparable size, and it seems most of the latest HDTV's have a 15 pin SVGA input. (which is what I use).
I already have a HDTV, but it's in another room, and I dont want to move either the TV or the Computer. So, it would actually be nice to have another TV as well as a monitor, and have it all in one, so the HDTV would actually be preferred.
However, I recall being told that the HDTVs dont have adaquate resolution to provide a decent image for computers. Yet, the person who told me that was no expert and that was told to me quite a few years ago too, which may not be applicable to the newer TVs.
Anyone know about this?
BTW: My computer is just an average computer and has standard built in video card. It's not a high-end or gaming machine. The monitor that died was a 17" HP 1740, which had a decent picture.
Thanks
On Sat, 31 Jan 2015 14:34:58 -0600, Jerry.Tan wrote:

I use an old Dell computer DHP with a 2.8 GHz pentium purchased as a cheap refurbished unit 6 years ago which had XP and only the built in graphics card on the motherboard. I use it with both XP and linux successfully on my new Vizio 62 inch TV (which has the RGB port). I can run this above 1280 x 1024 resolution and it gives a good picture. Keep your RGB cable short as this helps the quality. The computer is able to play most video streams well, but full HD will be limited by your graphics card or processor speed. If you already use it successfully on a moniter then I think you'll be OK.
Thane
If the hdtv has the proper type of input, (vga in your case) then you should be good to go. But do check before you buy,, not all tvs have vga input. Mark
On Sun, 01 Feb 2015 05:00:30 -0800, makolber wrote:

Yes, that's right. The RGB connection is the VGA 15 pin connector similar to that on monitors. I'd advise the OP to check before he buys a new TV as not all units have it.
Thane
On 2/1/2015 11:36 AM, Thane wrote:

Many computers now have an HDMI output too
On Sun, 01 Feb 2015 12:14:16 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yes, but the OP said he had an old computer.
I was in a similar situation to the OP having an old, cheap machine with XP which I wanted to retain, but use it with a large screen TV. Finding a TV with RGB (VGA) input was the fix for me. I also tried changing the OS on this too, to linux and this worked well too, so my old PC now can run either with the TV as monitor and wireless keyboard and mouse. The range is limited to about 6 feet, but it works well.
Thane

Range is easy to fix too. Just buy a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse..About 35 feet with no problem.

Many now have DVI and HDMI either instead of or in addition to VGA, and as long as you have or can add DVI or HDMI out on your computer you can get even higher resolution. Hardly ANY HDTVs come without HDMI today
On Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 2:38:54 PM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

Check-out Goodwill and resale shops...I've bought a couple 17" for $10, and 19" for $20 and a Samsung for $30. Also see CL...I've listed and sold some on there...
snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

depending on distance, I suppose it would be possible to use a wireless keyboard and something like an AppleTV to use both in the TV room

On Saturday, January 31, 2015 at 8:34:54 PM UTC-5, Malcom Mal Reynolds wrote:

He appears to want TV capability in both locations. If he he adds your stuff, he winds up with just his original HDTV in the living room, the PC chassis in the other room. And AppleTV just adds a streaming video source to his HDTV. WTF does that solve? Instead of trying to remote the PC, you might as well just move the PC, but it still doesn't give you TV in two locations. Or he could just buy the small HDTV that he suggested.
On Sun, 1 Feb 2015 04:46:48 -0800 (PST), trader_4

Yep, tv is in the living room, computer in bedroom. I actually do have an old CRT tv on the bedroom, with DTV box, but I've been wanting to replace that tv anyhow.
On 2/1/2015 11:08 AM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

When you do, get a big one. Our first bedroom TV was 13" CRT, replaced by a 19" CRT. When I went to a flatscreen, I was thinking a 27", but ended up with a 32". It was good, but since moved to another location and replaced with a 40". Thought it would be huge, but it is a nice size from the bed.
Common scenario is no matter what size you think you need, get one size larger. Worked for me.
On Sat, 31 Jan 2015 14:34:58 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

I'm currently using a 22 inch RCA HDTV at 1366X768 and it is working perfectly

On Sat, 31 Jan 2015 14:34:58 -0600, someone wrote:

Not picking on you in particular, I'm curious why all these computer questions are not addressed to computer newsgroups, several of which are alive and well.
On Sunday, February 1, 2015 at 4:28:39 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:

Becaause folks like us better, obviously.
On 2/1/2015 4:28 AM, micky wrote:

Because the folks here give more practical solutions compared to the geeks on some of the computer groups.
The most typical failure I've seen on LCD computer displays are failing electrolytic capacitors in the power supply section. Typically they are visually swollen. The parts are inexpensive from online sources. It can be a challenge to solder boards that meet ROHS specs and not burn up adjacent micro sized parts unless you have the proper tools.

You just hit the nail right on the head. Seems everytime I go to a computer related newsgroup, I end up so confused by all the geek talk, that I leave more puzzled that I was in the first place.
I know the last time I asked on one of those newsgroups a simple question about disabling antomatic upgrades in a web browser, I ended up with reams of technical stuff I dod not understand, was told my operating system was too old (XP) and needed to be upgraded, my browser was also old and a security risk, and was told that browser is no good anyhow, and so on.... Heck, some even told me to use linux and not windows. I'm no geek nor do I want to be. I'm happy with the software I use, even if it is old.
After spending a few hours on my own, I found the setting I wanted, but it's sort of hidden, which is why I could not easily find it.
On 1/31/2015 3:34 PM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

Check out Woot.com (Amazon's refurbished stuff)