OT: Computer memory low

Page 5 of 6
On Jan 20, 8:13pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I should have mentioned that a rep. at Norton sent me the Ghost FREE because I had been unable to get GoBack to work. She explained that Ghost had replaced GoBack. (Now I can't get GoBack to shut the hell up; every time I boot up, it's there, asking if I want to reinstall it. I can't get rid of it through Control Panel Add/Remove Programs. It comes up with "error 1327, invalid Drive F". (My Ext. HD varies between E and F depending what else is running.) That's when I contacted Norton in despair, and they sent me the Ghost. Wish there was a computer silver stake I could drive through the heart of GoBack -- like they used to do with vampires -- bury them at a crossroads and drive a silver stake through their hearts. <g> )

The technical term is PEBKAC: 'problem exists between keyboard and chair'. It's a common variant of the ID10T error.
Higgs Boson wrote:

There is. Download RevoUninstaller. Universally acclaimed as an industrial-strength removal tools. Free.

The RevoUninstaller is great. I use it a lot.

== You have received some very good advice from three or four people. Deep sixing Norton AV using an uninstall utility from their website should be number one on your priority list. I will never allow McAfee AV or Norton AV on any computer of mine ever again. I use Avast FREE and it has performed well for years but there are others just as good. If you choose to ignore most of the suggestions, that is your prerogative but would be a mistake IMHO. ==
On 1/20/2011 10:50 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Buy more memory. Buy more memory. Buy more memory. This is wayyyy too little. Everything wants more memory these days, FF in particular.
Then upgrade your main HD or move virtual memory and and as much else to another drive. 40GB is too small these days.
Oh, and buy more memory. Or turn off the flaming alert and learn to live with a slowed down computer because it is using the swap file.
Buy more memory. In this case Norton is right, computer memory is too low.
Did I forget to mention buying more memory?
Jeff PS. You need more memory.
Higgs Boson wrote:

So move personal stuff to the 160 GB drive. _____________

That's because 1. Norton is invasive 2. Norton is not all that good at its job 3. Norton costs $$ ________________

You aren't getting it. You CANNOT add memory to a HD.
Memory = RAM = solid state chip(s)
IOW, memory (RAM) and hard drives are two different things. _________________

Yes. It has nothing to do with the Norton AV. __________________

XP has a backup function but if you are using XP Home you will have to install it from your XP disc. This article explains how to do it... http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/bott_03july14.mspx and this one explains how to use it... http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/146197-1/create_idiotproof_backups_with_windows_builtin_tools.html
Is it any good? Don't know, never used it.
There are many backup/imaging programs some free, many not. My preference is for Paragon... http://www.paragon-software.com/home/db-express /
--

dadiOH
____________________________

OK, I think I knew that; I did add more RAM in the past. I was near a meltdown when I asked that dumb question..
Ideally, then, I should buy more RAM, as well as a larger HD?
HB

Higgs Boson wrote:

Answers in no particular order:
* GHOST is a separate application program and has no connection to, nor requirement of, any other Symantec product. You may use GHOST independently of anything else.
* The size of your hard disk is completely independent of the size of your on-board memory (RAM). The two do not depend on one another in any way. The larger your RAM (memory), the less the computer will have to use the hard drive to roll things in and out, but other than that you can have enormous memory and a small hard drive or vice-versa without either being the wiser.
* The hard drive is not memory; it is a filing cabinet. As another poster said, memory (or RAM) is the surface of your desk - where you do your work. You can have a large desk and no filing cabinet (i.e., smart phones), or a huge filing cabinet and a small workspace, viz: "Cloud Computing."
* When you buy a new, larger, hard drive it will come with cloning software. That is, you install the new drive (you'll need a screwdriver, nothing else) and run the included cloning software. In a bit, the new hard drive is ready to become your system drive. You can take out the old one. You now have a Terabyte drive with 97% free space (i.e., 968Mbytes). Not only that, it will be more than ten times faster than your external drive.
* The mayor of Washington once said: "If you ignore the homicides, Washington is a safe place to live." Likewise with Norton. If you ignore its large footprint and drain on the system's resources, it's a perfectly adequate system. If it didn't cost nothin'.
Avast, AVG, and Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) are far, far better replacements inasmuch as they're FREE!
Oren wrote:

Yep. We use it on all our XP machines (and a Vista and one Win7).
HeyBub wrote:

MSE has a habit of deleting things it does not like on it's own. It tells you what it did dter scan is done. Things nothing to do with security.
Tony Hwang wrote:

Perhaps you can provide some examples of such behavior. I've been using MSE since it became available and have not noticed any such actions.
What am I missing?
On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 19:50:54 -0800 (PST), Higgs Boson

First off, these are general thoughts and might not fit you situation. I don't have a clear idea on what you want in terms of backups. Do you have a 2nd internal hard drive? 40GB is plenty for your system drive if you use it for that and don't load it up with non-system/non-app data. By "system" I mean your OS and the applications you use. Not movies, pics and other stuff that load up a drive. Those should go on a second drive, and why I ask if you have one. Your external drive is probably USB, which is much slower. Good for backing up data though.
XP with many apps attached probably won't go much past 5-10 GB. There are "special" apps that take more, but unless you have them they're not a concern. If you go to Win7 you're talking about 30GB. But then you might be talking about going to a new box, and you don't have to if XP is working for you. Bottom line is for what I'm going to recommend if we get into backing up your *system* is you want a second internal HD. 160GB will do fine. I haven't priced drives in a while so that's your call. You probably have PATA controllers on your box, so you need a PATA drive.

I agee with them. Free AVG and free ZoneAlarm is what I use. Others will argue for others. If getting rid of the Norton Suite clears up your memory problem, don't bother with more memory. Anybody else is welcome to tell you otherwise and how to do it.

Memory is the mem chips and virtual memory files on your HD. The hard drive memory is more correctly called "virtual" memory. If you haven't messed with the XP virtual memory settings you're probably okay. Getting rid of the Norton Suite should fix your memory issues. If it doesn't we can talk then.

Win7 does better, but has holes, so I use Ghost. Last time I used Ghost that came with a Symantec suite I had the option to just install Ghost, which is what I did. Only reason I bought that was for Ghost - System Works I think it was called. You use "advanced" install and pay attention to what boxes get ticked. But I'm not telling to use Ghost because I don't know your goals. You already got good advice about clearing up your memory problem. For that get rid of the entire Norton suite and install the free stuff. Watch the install check boxes there too or you'll get their browser toolbars and maybe other crap installed.
--Vic
Higgs Boson wrote:

Drive manufacturers have programs to let you do that. If you buy a "retail" drive it is usually included. If not, you can download it from the manufacturer's site. It will involve a bit more than pushing a button though, you need to be able to install the new drive as per instructions, copy old drive to it using the program and following its instructions, then move new drive to old drive's channel.
If your mobo will do SATA, the Western Digital Caviar Black is a nice drive (fast & 5 year warranty). A 500GB one can be had for $59.95 at Newegg.
Partitioning a drive doesn't require skill, merely an understanding of what you are doing - derived from browsing - and a program do do it. The advantage is that the OS and installed programs can be kept on a relatively small partition which can be imaged quickly; things that seldom need backing up - music, videos, etc - can be kept on other drives.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

THANK you much for this heads-up. I have to study it to digest; my few remaining neurons probably can us the exercise!
HB
On 1/19/2011 11:28 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

750MB is completely inadequate. I don't even know how you get that figure these days!
Buy memory. Everything else is sort of OK.
Jeff

You have it backwards, RAM is faster than ROM. ROM is optimized for density.

ROM typically isn't cached, so moving the relevant parts of BIOS to RAM is a double win.

Make that 2^32 (addresses 0 to 2^32-1), It 2^32 is defined as 4 GB (4,294,967,296 bytes). ;-)

All I/O and memory in the I/O channel is mirrored. Not just the video memory.

Model specific, though it doesn't matter. You'll never fit that much in the machine. Besides, everyone knows that 640K is more than enough.

??? I posted a long reply yesterday w/all the required info, plus a list of questions. It didn't show up, so I posted THIS reply, and THAT didn't go through either. Later today I will try again w/the original post. Just didn't want people thinking I was neglecting the matter.
HB

I didn't see the HDD size...only the external HDD size?