OT - Chili Recipe?

Page 1 of 2

I'm looking for a good Chili Recipe for Super Bowl Sunday.
It doesn't have to be killer hot, just really flavorful.
I plan to make it Saturday and let it age until Sunday. Slow cook or stove top, either way.
Any ideas?

Look up food network 'Aztec Chili'
Don't let the 'secret' ingredient fool you, this stuff is really good.
Oh...and you owe the NFL $1.00.

Thanks.
The smallest bill I have is a five spot.
Super Bowl Sunday Super Bowl Sunday Super Bowl Sunday Super Bowl Sunday

BTW
re: Look up food network 'Aztec Chili'
...nothing there...
From: http://www.foodnetwork.com/search/delegate.do?fnSearchString=Aztec+Chili&fnSearchType=recipe
" Sorry, no recipes were found for Aztec Chili "
However, Google found a few recipes "Aztec Chili" , including this one, which looks interesting, if not pretty complex.
I'm fresh out of Masa flour and Cancho corn kernels. ;-)
http://chilipaper.com/FRecipes/Fmains/Fchili/aztec_chili.htm

Imo, there are 6 secrets to making really great chili. 1. Cook it the day before and let the flavors meld overnight in the fridge. Second most important step. 2. Use Mexene brand chili seasoning. This has a robust blend of spices. Other than salt and pepper it all you need. 3. Completely brown the meat and onions till the onions are caramelizing before you add anything else. If isn't sticking to pan for the last couple of minutes you aren't doing it right. Single most important step. Drain any grease before proceeding. 4. Use dark red kidney beans and black beans. Mostly smash the kidneys. Equal parts by pre-cooked weight of kidney beans and meat. 5. Buy a quality grade of ground chuck. No more than 15% fat. 6. Rinse the beans very well under running warm water to remove the can taste.
The beans extend the size of the batch and make a healthier chili than all meat.
A hearty batch that would serve 6-8 hungry guys would have 3 pounds of beef, 3 pounds of dark red kidney beans, one pound can of black beans, one can of tomato juice, a baseball sized sweet onion, 1/4 cup of light brown sugar, salt pepper and about 1/4 of the small Mexene bottle (to taste). Depending on how long you simmer it you might need to add 1 8 ounce can of tomato sauce and one can of water.
The tomato juice onions and meat are simmered for a while before the smashed beans are added.
For extra flavor you can dump in a can of diced green chilis (not jalapenos serve those on the side if you must).
Served over thin spaghetti (optional) with sour cream, a couple of diced cheeses, soup crackers, and white corn tortilla chips people can have a 1-6 way chili of their choosing from the same pot.
Total stove top cooking time is about 2-3 hours on very low heat once the meat is browned. Over night the bean starch will absorb the flavor of the meat and thicken the chili. You may have to add a little water when reheating.
If you try this post you feedback here.
If you smash those kidneys well but not totally your guests will never know that the recipe is 50% beans.

Thanks Colbyt, not just for the recipe, but for all the details.
What are your thoughts on 2 - 3 hours in a slow cooker on low?

Thanks Colbyt, not just for the recipe, but for all the details.
What are your thoughts on 2 - 3 hours in a slow cooker on low?
After step 3 any way you want to simmer it is fine. I would start on high until it came up to simmer.
Might save you from running in to stir it every 15 minutes.

re: "Might save you from running in to stir it every 15 minutes"
That's exactly what I was thinking.
As of now, you are at the top of the list.
For my secret ingredient I add a teaspon of instant coffee. keep it in mind.
I need 9 - 3 saints for 20g.

Sorry, I need 9 - 6 Indy. Can't have it both ways.
Once again, my condolences.

I use coco power and coffee
Jimmie

re: "one can of tomato juice"
That's the one ingredient you don't specify by an actual amount.
What size can?

re: "one can of tomato juice"
That's the one ingredient you don't specify by an actual amount.
What size can?
The big one. Don't have one here but I think 48 ounces. About 12-14" tall and 4" around.
--
Colbyt

Got it! Going shopping tonight.
Thanks!

-snip-
With little exception- this sounds like how I do it too.

Amen!!
I get away with Chili powder & cumin-- about 3times as much chili powder as cumin.

I like mine greasy-- and will substitute sausage [hot or sweet] for 1/2 the meat.
I throw in a couple sweet peppers after the meat & onions [and garlic] are nearly done. I just sweat the peppers- they cook later.

Never mashed my beans-- and I don't drain them.

In that batch, I'd double the onions- chop a 1/2 dozen cloves of garlic and dice a couple sweet peppers. Instead of the tomato juice I'd use 3pounds of diced tomatoes-- canned OK- leave the juice. For the spice I'd start with 1/2 cup chili powder & 2-3 tbls Cumin. I might also toss in a dash of Balsamic vinegar.

I've got a couple folks in the house who don't like the heat- so I keep bottles of hot sauce for individual spicing'. Frank's Red hot is my favorite because it has lots of flavor and isn't too hot. I have an old bottle of Bin Laden's that still makes the best of em cry.

How far beyond Cincinnati does Chili & Spaghetti go? We serve ours on rice.

Overall I like the recipe. No need to hide kidney beans in this house. And I like the texture of them whole.
Jim

Syline Chili has restaurants in Cleveland, Dayton, Columbus and Toledo, and apparently, a few in Florida.
--
Dennis

Skyline is the only I've ever seen on spaghetti-- is that just their thing, or do other parts of the world put chili on pasta?
Jim [sounds weird-- but we do it once in a while for a change]

We've always put it on rice.
We also usually have cornbread on the side. I'll be making a big tray full Sunday morning.
Since it'll be Sunday morning, it's a perfect time to make popovers, which I always start in a cold oven. By the time they're done, the cornbread will be ready to go in.

ROTFLMO and beer squirting out my nose.

Last year I made chili for Super Bowl Sunday. I dont make it that hot but I also serve a bowl of Peter Pepper relish with it for those who want some extra heat. Many apologies to the guy who thought it was salsa and dippped up a BIG scoop of it on his Doritos.
Jimmie