OT break in oil for a new car

Page 4 of 5

I seriously doubt that revving the engine on a cold startup with 30w oil would blow the fitler. The oil pump pressure valve would limit the pressure to 60-80psi or so, no matter how cold or thick the oil is. The filter can take a lot more pressure than that. I can think of several things that will blow a filter - faulty installation or the wrong filter can blow out the gasket. A defective filter could blow, but that is pretty unlikely. My next vote would be that the oil pump pressure valve stuck shut. I've seen that happen - it is extremely rare, but on a cold tight engine with heavy oil and a sticky valve (it's just a ball and a spring, after all), the oil pump can put out a couple hundred psi or (much) more if the check valve sticks shut. *That* will blow out the oil filter! Real fast, and quite spectactularly! And it will make a mess as oil under high pressure sprays all over the place. And if you don't catch it in time and just keep running the engine, in a few moments the engine itself will quite nicely sieze.
Zootal wrote:

I don't see what you are trying to say. If you have seen a filter blow, don't you think it would be more likely to happen if the vehicle also had the wrong oil, temps were extremely cold, and revving the engine? I think those three things would surely raise the chance of blowing the filter.

Those three things would only raise the chance of blowing the filter if something else was wrong in the first place. If nothing else is wrong, those three things would not mean anything. You can't blow a filter unless the pressure is too high, and the oil pump keeps the pressure from being too high, even if the oil is cold and thick and the engine is revved.
On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 13:09:47 -0800, "Zootal"

In your dreams.

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 12:39:56 -0800, "Zootal"

You might think so, but a 20Wx oil at -40 in a slant six dodge can pruduce oil pressures up around the 200psi range on initial startup. This is because at that temperature the pressure releif (or regulator) valve can be extremely reluctant to move. Don't need to rev the engine either
I've blown a filter off a slant 6 myself (20W50 in Winnipeg, of all the stupid things) and have also seen it happen numerous times with straight 20W20 oil at -20F - on other brands. On mine it blew off at IDLE. Also had the oil pump drive on a Ford 351 twist off in a similar situation.

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Exactly! Having the wrong oil means there IS something wrong with the engine. It has the wrong oil! And it makes the bypass move a little, or a lot slower and presto, blown oil filter.
Ever try to pull start a little briggs engine with straight 30 weight oil in the middle of winter. You better believe things move slow.

If the pressure regulator is reluctant to move, then that is what is wrong with the engine...
On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 18:08:16 -0800, "Zootal"

No, it is working as designed - but the wrong oil is installed. The film of 30 weight oil surrounding the valve plunger is so thick/stiff/solid at -40 that it is physically impossible to move it. SAE20W is bad enough, and straighr SAE20 is even worse.
dpb wrote:

I completely agree. I should have worded it better to say that the bypass wasn't good enough *for the wrong type of oil he used*.

Again, nothing to do with the filter bypass. Although in extreme cold with thick oil, the bypass COULD come into play, it would have NO EFFECT on the problem you noted - blowing the filter off.

I suppose there is stuff in solution also, but most of it is particulates in suspension. And they don't come between metal pieces because there are no gaps in the engine small enough. Metal on metal contact does not normally happen in an engine (except for a short period of time following cold startup, and obviously during a loss of oil pressure, etc.). 99.9% of the wear that occurs to an engine happens within a short period of time following cold startup. Anyhow, the rings don't physically touch the cylinder walls, the rod and main bearings don't touch the journals, the rocker arms don't physically touch the cam shafts. All of these are separated by a thin film of oil, and this thin film is thick enough that most of the stuff in dirty oil fits very nicely inbetween without touching the metal. That is why you can run an engine with the nastiest looking oil and not hurt it any.
I've taken apart a lot of engines, and anyone that hwhich is why you can get a couple hundred thousand miles out of an engine.The oil itself takes up a certain amount of space, and the stuff that discolors oil is smaller then that.

remember that the particles are ones that have passed thru your oil filter*.Doubtful they would be harmful to your motor.
* Unless your filter is so clogged that the bypass has opened.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Metspitzer wrote:

My wife and I just bought a 2010 Toyota Matrix. I asked the salesman about doing an oil change after a few thousand miles. He said that Toyota uses a break in oil and not to change it. Whatever need be done will be done during the regular warranty servicing.
LdB

What does the manual say? When the salesman quits or is fired, he won't be much good in terms of the warranty.
LdB wrote:

Generally speaking, whenever you feel like asking a salesman anything you are better off to hit yourself in the head with a brick until the feeling goes away.
"Break-In Periods" have not been relevant for a few decades now. If it makes you feel better it's only a matter of 20 to 30 bucks, so go ahead and change it.
On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 13:37:24 -0600, Rick Brandt

Bull shit! Know what you're talking about before you stick you foot in your mouth. It depends on the vehicle.
Gordon Shumway
Our Constitution needs to be used less as a shield for the guilty and more as a sword for the victim.

What does BMW charge for an oil change these days?
On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 16:16:44 -0500, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Exactly $ 0.00 when the car is still under warrantee. After that I do it myself.
Gordon Shumway
Our Constitution needs to be used less as a shield for the guilty and more as a sword for the victim.
Gordon Shumway wrote:>

Yeah, whatever. Someone that doesn't know how to set up a newsnet sig probably knows all about cars. (hint: it wouldn't have been included in the quoted text if it was correct).
On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 16:21:21 -0600, Rick Brandt

Plonk!