OT break in oil for a new car

That's why Jiffy Lube doesn't do the transmission flush. :-)

JoeSpareBedroom

2006 BMW M3

Gordon Shumway

Our Constitution needs to be used less as a shield for the guilty and more as a sword for the victim.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

My wife and I just bought a 2010 Toyota Matrix. I asked the salesman about doing an oil change after a few thousand miles. He said that Toyota uses a break in oil and not to change it. Whatever need be done will be done during the regular warranty servicing.

LdB

Reply to
LdB

What does the manual say? When the salesman quits or is fired, he won't be much good in terms of the warranty.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Generally speaking, whenever you feel like asking a salesman anything you are better off to hit yourself in the head with a brick until the feeling goes away.

"Break-In Periods" have not been relevant for a few decades now. If it makes you feel better it's only a matter of 20 to 30 bucks, so go ahead and change it.

Reply to
Rick Brandt

Bull shit! Know what you're talking about before you stick you foot in your mouth. It depends on the vehicle.

Gordon Shumway

Our Constitution needs to be used less as a shield for the guilty and more as a sword for the victim.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

The particles that you see in the oil that cause it to look "dirty" are too small to hurt anything. They remain in suspension and never come between metal pieces, and therefore don't cause wear. The oil filter will remove anything big enough to cause any damage.

I used to work at a gas station, and I remember once this old famer coming in. We checked his oil, he took a look at the dip stick, rubbed it between his fingers, and goes "yep, feels gritty, must be time for an oil change". By then I had learned to just keep my mouth shut, smile and change the oil. There was no way we could ever convince him that "gritty" oil would destroy the engine in about five minutes flat. He was happy, and his oil got changed when it needed to ...

Some industrial equipment have pressure guages across the oil filter, and they don't change the oil filter until it's plugged enough that a certain amount of pressure develops across it. The reasoning is that a filter partilly plugged filters finer particles then a brand new one. They won't change the filter until right before it starts to bypass. I don't think they do that today - easier to just replace it regularly rather then watch the pressure guage and catch it shortly before it bypasses.

Reply to
Zootal

What does BMW charge for an oil change these days?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Exactly $ 0.00 when the car is still under warrantee. After that I do it myself.

Gordon Shumway

Our Constitution needs to be used less as a shield for the guilty and more as a sword for the victim.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway wrote:>

Yeah, whatever. Someone that doesn't know how to set up a newsnet sig probably knows all about cars. (hint: it wouldn't have been included in the quoted text if it was correct).

Reply to
Rick Brandt

Plonk!

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

He did not say there is a limit, but if there is no activity to speak of, the chances of his question being answered are slim.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

So why not drop that $350 difference in my bucket? I've not changed oil at 3000 miles in the past 25 years and I've never had an oil related problem in cars that I've put up to 200,000 miles on. Why waste money on oil changes when you can buy a case of beer instead?

Your money, do as you please, but mine will be put to better use.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Bullshit. 247 posts in the last 12 days.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Even so, the presence of his question in THIS newsgroup has no effect on you. None whatsoever.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Irrelevent whining.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Me whining? You're the one being a little bitch about what you consider OT subjects. If you don't like reading certain subjects, don't read them. That's easy for most normal adults. How about you?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Most auto engines oil filters bypass oil even when the filter is brand new. They do it when the engine is cold and also when the motor is revved past a certain point.

Reply to
Tony

I suppose there is stuff in solution also, but most of it is particulates in suspension. And they don't come between metal pieces because there are no gaps in the engine small enough. Metal on metal contact does not normally happen in an engine (except for a short period of time following cold startup, and obviously during a loss of oil pressure, etc.). 99.9% of the wear that occurs to an engine happens within a short period of time following cold startup. Anyhow, the rings don't physically touch the cylinder walls, the rod and main bearings don't touch the journals, the rocker arms don't physically touch the cam shafts. All of these are separated by a thin film of oil, and this thin film is thick enough that most of the stuff in dirty oil fits very nicely inbetween without touching the metal. That is why you can run an engine with the nastiest looking oil and not hurt it any.

I've taken apart a lot of engines, and anyone that hwhich is why you can get a couple hundred thousand miles out of an engine.The oil itself takes up a certain amount of space, and the stuff that discolors oil is smaller then that.

Reply to
Zootal

Smitty Two wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@newsfarm.iad.highwinds-media.com:

remember that the particles are ones that have passed thru your oil filter*.Doubtful they would be harmful to your motor.

  • Unless your filter is so clogged that the bypass has opened.
Reply to
Jim Yanik