OT Blocking telemarketers

Page 3 of 4

The question seemed to be about how Uverse is delivered, not where or when.
Anyway, I'm a FIOS customer which is always Fiber To The Premises (FTTP). I looked up Uverse and found that you may keep the copper, you may not:
U-verse service is delivered over a fiber-to-the-node (FTTN) or fiber-to-the-premises (FTTP) communications network. In the more common FTTN deployment, all data (internet, IPTV, and voice over IP) between the service provider and a distribution node is carried by fiber-optic connections. The remaining run from the node to the network interface device in the customer's home using a copper-wire loop that was traditionally part of the PSTN (public switched telephone network). In subdivisions constructed more recently, an FTTP deployment is used, where the fiber-optic cable is run from the service-provider's DSLAM all the way to an optical network terminal in the customer's home.
--
Dan Espen

On 03/09/2014 10:17 AM, Dan Espen wrote:

<snip>

What they do around here is just send the signal into the house using the existing phone wires. I'm sure it saves AT&T some time and money...and since it's a very short run does not hurt the bandwidth.
I run periodic speed tests and usually get what I'm paying for...but from time to time they don't throttle the speed and I get speeds about three times what I've signed up for.
BTW: As far as this "nomorobo" goes...it's now been 48 hours and only one robo call got through. I'd normally have had at least six by now.
On 3/9/2014 11:33 AM, philo wrote:

That makes sense to use copper to the house, but there is no fiber in our town. We cannot get the TV service either, just phone and internet.
On 03/09/2014 12:47 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That would be fine with me, I tossed my TV 25 years ago.
On 03/08/2014 10:11 PM, noname wrote:

I thunk they use cable , they simply send the digital signal from the pole to the house using the same two wires the analog phone originally used.
as answered elsewhere...fiber
On 3/8/14 10:14 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Just wondering -- if ATT is selling the landline business, who are they selling it -TO- ??
On 3/9/2014 4:32 PM, John Albert wrote:

You, if you can come up with $2Billion.
Otherwise Frontier http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/17/us-att-assetsale-idUSBRE9BG0KC20131217
On 3/8/2014 5:24 PM, philo wrote:

I would also sign up for it but my carrier does not have simultaneous ringing as part of their service which is required by nomorbobo.com.

There are only about 30 possible answers. Why not tell the person now?
Are they harvesting email addresses? And later phone numbers?
On 03/08/2014 08:19 PM, micky wrote:

It's a free service...I would not be surprised if one day I'll get an email informing me they want a fee for their service.
If it works and if I do not get a cell phone, believe me I'd pay for it
On Saturday, March 8, 2014 5:24:58 PM UTC-6, philo  wrote:

robo callers follow no rules and cell providers offer NO blockage .
Get a google phone number for all correspondences ... have it send a IM or email for missed calls.
I was selected for a free all expense paid trip for two to the Bahamas about 4 or 5 times last week. I just put the receiver down and walk away. I'm hoping that screws up their automatic dialer.
--
nestork

On 3/8/2014 8:03 PM, Daring Dufas: Hypocrite TeaBillie on welfare wrote:

My wife gets NO robo calls on her cell phone
On 3/8/2014 10:05 PM, philo wrote:

Over the last couple days I've gotten several political survey calls on my cell phone. Six or so.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 03/09/2014 06:31 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I had a company cell phone when I was still working... I think I'd get maybe one or two robo calls a year.
On 3/8/2014 9:05 PM, philo wrote:

No reason the scams and jerks won't move to cell phones, and I assume they are.
Do-not-call has eliminated most of the calls from legitimate businesses - I get very few of those calls. I think there is a loophole they can use - not trying to sell you anything on that call.
Some of the card services type operations have been taken down by the feds. More spring up.

When I screw with these people they try to say that we have a prior business relationship (one of the loopholes) but, usually I have never done anything but hang up on them

Since I put my number on the national "do not call" list in 2003 I don't get calls from "for profits." Doesn't stop "charities." I never hear the actual call. There's always a hesitation before they connect. I just hang up. If they manage to connect, I say "Sorry, not interested." And hang up,
On 03/08/2014 10:08 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

I double checked and I'm still on the "no call" list but places like "Card Services" ignore it.
I reported them to the FTC as it's got to be illegal.
If I do take a robo call, since there is always a delay I just hang up at once.