OT Blocking telemarketers

I signed up for this free service and for the last 30 hours the phone in my house (AT&T landline) has been quieter than usual.

I just plain had enough of that crap.

Reply to
philo

But what happens when numbers are spoofed? A few days ago I had a robocall from "Card Services," but the number that showed up in the Caller ID was a local number just two digits different from my own. I called them, but of course they were not the ones who had called me.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

A spoof call? That really sucks.

I checked my caller ID and all the ones from Card Services were from the same area code and prefix and no spoofs thus far.

I am sure this "nomorobo" could not deal with spoofs.

I also decided to report every call to the FTC but seriously doubt if that will do anything.

Should they manage to get through here again, I'll press "9" to talk to someone and as soon as they come on...ask them to hold, then set the phone down and walk away.

It won't stop them but it may slow them down for a few seconds and get them as pissed off as I am.

Reply to
philo

Found this

If I get a spoofed call I will report it at for sure.

Again I doubt if it will do any good...but if enough people report...it just may help.

Reply to
philo

many of those calls are from overseas, the caller can generate ANY caller ID number they want.

Reply to
bob haller

Great, but it says it does not have coverage for ATT traditional land line. Do you have U-Verse?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yes, I have U-Verse

Phone and Internet (no TV)

Too bad it does not handle traditional.

I just made the switch less than a year ago.

It's not quite as reliable .

Reply to
philo

yep, but thus far I have not gotten any such calls.

Before too long I will probably get rid of my land line entirely

Reply to
philo

I would also sign up for it but my carrier does not have simultaneous ringing as part of their service which is required by nomorbobo.com.

Reply to
IGot2P

The only thing you can do to punish telemarketers is to keep them on the line as long as possible.

There are a few lawyers who will try to sue them for you but I am not sure how well that works.

Reply to
gfretwell

On 08 Mar 2014, philo wrote in alt.home.repair:

How do you know? Nearly all the numbers that you see from robocallers are spoofed.

Reply to
Nil

robo callers follow no rules and cell providers offer NO blockage .

Get a google phone number for all correspondences ... have it send a IM or email for missed calls.

Reply to
Daring Dufas: Hypocrite TeaBil

One of them called me, saying they were from Microsoft and I should turn on my computer. I presume you know the rest. They called my brother about a year ago.

I said to the guy, "Does your mother know how you get money".

He said What? so I said it slower.

Then he said "I foak you" and hung up.

Reply to
micky

Why do they want you to email to find out if they can cover you. There are only about 30 possible answers. Why not tell the person now?

Are they harvesting email addresses? And later phone numbers?

Reply to
micky

I was selected for a free all expense paid trip for two to the Bahamas about 4 or 5 times last week. I just put the receiver down and walk away. I'm hoping that screws up their automatic dialer.

Reply to
nestork

yes, something like that might actually be fun.

If I get any more calls, I think I'll just do my best to waste as much of their time as possible.

Reply to
philo

I am not going to look into suing them.

But wasting their time may be a good option

Reply to
philo

My wife gets NO robo calls on her cell phone

Reply to
philo

the numbers do not fit the spoof profile mentioned elsewhere

moot point though as it looks like it's working.

Reply to
philo

I've been getting letters from ATT to get me to switch. ATT in CT is selling off the regular landline business and keeping the U-verse

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski