OT? basketball hoops

I found a basketball hoop, and instead of the sqiggly things one can hook the net to, this one has what look like small carpet tacks pointed up. Little nails with heads.
I want to advertise and give the thing away, but I don't know what these things are called or what kind of net is to be used???
What say ye?
micky posted for all of us...
And I know how to SNIP

Sure it's not a paint scraper. Sounds like a torture device for errant hands .... and balls.
--
Tekkie