OT - Bank of America

Page 2 of 5

The price per unit, pound, ounce, gal...etc is usually cheaper and the quality is usually higher.
The warehouse store profit margin is built around volume.
When you buy something like tp you get a 6 month supply.
The Costco house brand, Kirkland, is very high quality.
Even if I did have to pay the membership fee I'd still pay the $50. Lower prices, good return policy and higher quality is worth it. There are literally so many benefits you have to try it to understand.
LouB wrote:

hour of here, and some states seem to be skipped entirely. They seem to be cherry-picking their store placements. Nothing wrong with that, of course- you go where the money is. But that means a large percentage of the population will never hear of you, much less walk through your door.
-- aem sends...
aemeijers wrote:

There are no Walmarts in: * New York City * Boston * San Francisco * Detroit * Chicago * Washington, D.C. * There's one Walmart in Los Angeles and two in Philadelphia
Meanwhile, * There are 17 Walmarts in Houston
There may be more to store locations than cherry-picking by the management. Can anyone guess another reason?
"HeyBub" wrote

Proximity of shippage. With 17 in one city, you can bring in an 18 wheeler full of just hair scrunchies then local truck them about. A single walmart in some other place isnt on the shippage lines and has to be variety stocked.
HeyBub wrote:

World sites stores based on where they think a customer base with cash is, where they can cheaply get enough land for one of their asphalt lakes, and where the local government and unions won't mordida them to death with BS extra expenses. (Yes, I know the stores aren't unionized, but you can't build, maintain, and stock a store in an older urban area without dealing with unions. Not all the stock comes on a Walmart truck.) Built-up older cities often fail on one or more of those points. I'm no fan of Walmart, but there is no need to paint them as EVIL, when they are simply following basic money-grubbing 101 rules.
-- aem sends...
HeyBub wrote:

Los Angeles definitely has more than one Wal-Mart store. The city limits extend beyond what the post office refers to as "Los Angeles."
Bob wrote:

Here's their list: http://www.walmart.com/storeLocator/ca_storefinder_results.do?sfsearch_city=los+angeles&sfsearch_state &sfsearch_zip=&continue=&x'&y
Some of the stores are probably within the city limits and some are definitely within the "Greater Los Angeles Metro Area."
Still, I'm sure the folks living in San Diego would take umbrage at being called "Angelenos."
on 9/27/2009 8:20 AM (ET) HeyBub wrote the following:

http://www.walmart.com/storeLocator/ca_storefinder_results.do?sfsearch_city=los+angeles&sfsearch_state &sfsearch_zip=&continue=&x'&y
At least they are in the same State. How about the "New York Metropolitan Area" which includes cities and areas areas in New Jersey, Connecticut, and Pennsylvania?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
HeyBub wrote:

http://www.walmart.com/storeLocator/ca_storefinder_results.do?sfsearch_city=los+angeles&sfsearch_state &sfsearch_zip=&continue=&x'&y
Of the 20 locations listed, only Los Angeles (90008) and Panorama City are in the Los Angeles city limits. In addition, Porter Ranch and West Hills are in the city of LA. Other stores may be in other political jurisdictions friendly to (or adjacent to jurisdictions hostile to) such "big box" stores. They definitely have a presence in Los Angeles.

Sometimes called 'Price Club'?

Sometimes called 'Price Club'?
+++
It was called Price Club. If you try to pull up priceclub on Google it goes to Costco.
I've never been to BJ's. I went to Sam's club on a free trial and I didn't like it as much as Costco. That was a very long time ago. Maybe better now.
Costco services are pretty impressive: Funerals, caskets, houses, cars, vacations, financial securities, accounting services.... I don't know what BJ's and Sam's Club have but I've recieved several thousands off of selling/buying houses through Costco rebates.
Master Betty wrote:

Price Club). BJ's is also a warehouse club but has more items. Sam's is very similar to Costco but Costco has better stuff. I read that Sam's prices may be better on many items. Both have great rotisserie chicken at about $5.00
Lou
LouB wrote:

sign up for welfare/"free" medical and other stuff like walmart (sams) employees do. They actually pay their employees enough to get them out of official poverty status and have actual real health insurance.
Someone wrote .................................

Don't blame you; one has to be very careful with any loan arrangement including, or particularly, credit cards! And if CC are a nuisance cut them up and do everything possible on cash basis.
But there can be a role for 'careful/thioughtful' consumer use of a CC.
The best way to use a credit card IMHO is to set up automatic payment of the 'total' amount due monthly. The CC company takes the balance owing from bank account on the same billing date each month.
The result: a) No interest charges (Haven't paid any for CC interest since we got the cards, about 7 years). b) Provides a 21 to 25 day interval before payment is due, thus one is effectively using somebody else's money for that period of time. It ain't much but anything that defers payment without additional cost and is part of the system can be done on principle!
For example I bought gasoline tonight, using CC. Payment for that will not be due until the mid October statement.
But be careful; the moment the moment the CC balance is not not paid off, annual interest charges of anywhere from 9%, 19% or even 29% can occur. So even for one month on an amount as low as $500 interest for one month can be a significant (around $8 on say $500 owing at 19% etc.) for example. So frequent checks to make sure arrangements are working are in order. Although one usually has an overall mental recollection of where, financially, things are.
And watch the fine print like a hawk. And NEVER take cash off a credit card it incurs interest IMMEDIATELY!
Municipal taxes for can be paid off over the year, without extra cost and also allow use of CC it is possible at end of March (the deadline) to set up an authorization for one ninth of the amount due to be taken automatically, each month, from bank account. There is no extra charge for this and there are no CC interest charges.
Another 'use' we have found for a CC is to buy safely via the internet. We have one presently unused line of credit (it presently owes us $2.21!) linked to credit card at a relatively low rate of interest, which is held in reserve for a potential emergency expenditure.
Also find that a CC in good standing ensures smooth purchasing.
Do not like that CC company has 'upped' credit limit on our card even though not requested (or needed) and also even though our expenditures had never ever approached the limit. This usually under the guise of "You are such a creditworthy customer and we value your business etc.!!!!) Appeared to be a very crude attempt to get one to borrow more? And 'draw' one into debt and the payment of 'yuk' interest charges!
Long ago, financially naive and innocent I bought my first car. All I knew was that it would cost $61 per month. I had no idea how much interest I was paying etc. etc. It wasn't long before I had figured out that anything bought 'on credit' cost MORE!. And the higher the interest ate and other charges the more it cost, over the ticket price.
But how to compare different course of action?
Then I went on an engineering economy course, with Bell Telephone, and the concept of time-money dawned on me and has been used here ever since on all decisions.
Sorry to rant on; but put forward this cheap and dirty interest calculator.
Suppose you borrow $10,000 and agree to pay it off monthly over 5 years at say 10% (ten percent just make it easy to figure). At the start you owe 10,000 and at the end of 5 years you owe zero. OK? So on average you owe half of it or 5,000 (I said this was cheap and dirty!).
So 'on average' you owe 5,000 at an interest rate of 10%, that's $500 per year for each of the five years. Five years at $500 = $2500. Adding the 2,500 to the 10,000; wow that's a quarter more than I borrowed! Is $12,500.
Divide the $12,500 by the number of months 12,500/60 = $208 per month. So roughly your payment will be around $210 - $215 per month for five years.
Have just put the above amounts into a 'proper' amortization calculator programme' and the actual monthly amount comes out at $212 per month! So cheap and dirty works quite well for smaller amounts and shorter periods; but don't try using it for a 30 year $100,000 mortgage!
BTW watch out for financial tricks such as no payments for three months, meanwhile the seller is totting up interest on the whole amount owing for another quarter of a year! In the above example that could be another $125 or so. Another 1.25%!

You are correct in what you are saying. Like other posters have said, the trick is to pay off the CC every month so that you don't pay interest. In reality, a CC can be an asset if used correctly and claim the rewards by paying it off.
Many years ago I looked closely at the amorization schedule for my home loan. If I kept the house and only made the monthly payment, I was paying almost $300,000.00 for a $100,000.00 home. I thought to myself "what a waste of money". Altho I couldn't pay it off, I could pay a little more onthe principle and pay it off earlier. I did that and after about 5 years, I almost had it paid off. I sold the house and took the equity and built a smaller house with more land and it was totally paid for.
Young people HAVE to pay interest on a loan to get a home. As bad as it sucks, it is the only way for some to acquire any savings (equity). It beats renting for sure. But, any interest you don't pay is like having that money go into YOUR pocket.
If people would take a close look at the amorization schedule and realize they are wasting many dollars on interest that is coming out of their pockets, I'd think most would come to their senses. At least the smart ones.
Hank <~~~thinks interest is wasted money.
On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 02:24:53 -0700 (PDT), "Hustlin' Hank"

Consider also that some CCs allow you to create limited one-time-use CC numbers with a limited $-amount to use when shopping on-line: http://www.bankofamerica.com/creditcards/index.cfm?template q#ccs18
A feature I use often.
--
I filter all messages from google groups.

Ideally, credit cards are paid in full every month. And the loan is paid off early. That takes a lot of discipline, and self control. Something the American public is slow to learn.
Interest is what keeps the credit card companies paid. That, and also fees and penalties.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I keep waiting for one my lesser used back up cards to tell me they are going to charge fees. So far, they haven't.
--
"Politics should be limited in its scope to war,
protection of property, and the occasional

Hank I totally agree. A kindred spirit I think.
And it's exactly what my son is doing; paying of his home mortgage as quick as possible, even though the interest rate is low, hoping the equity in will increase (depends on the economy and the location).
Now a widower, and for the record I have three children ranging from 47+ to 30.
One seems to have fallen near the parent tree and is well aware of 'cost of money' is thrifty and doesn't mind using and fixing and secondhand as long as it does the job.
Another can't seem to control finances at all; despite help!
A third works hard, earns well has no children, is smart about 'bargains' etc and 'manages' to live within budget.
Same parents, same procreation process, no hanky panky in the family so they all came from the same tree!
Must be different genes?
Here in Canada we have what seem to be be better regulation of financial institutions, and have not had to bail out any of the banks. So it's not instutional problems but individuals who need to be smarter.
Improvements are needed in in regulating what are loosely called 'Financial or investment advisers', they are required, if above board , to be registered but there are thirteen different provinces and territories each with it's regulations. But there still are the Bernie Madeoffs here.
My adviser for example has to register in at least three areas (at a cost in each) in order to operate legally and if one of his clients moves to another province etc. he has either to register himself in that territory or hand off the client to another adviser.

hundreds of dollars of free money each year.
I have an AmEx Blue Cash card, which gives me a 5% rebate on groceries, gas, and prescription drugs, and 1.25% on everything else. I pay in full each month, get a free grace period, don't write any checks, don't have to carry around cash, and once per year I get a credit on my account of many many hundreds of dollars. I have a VISA that gives a 1% rebate when a merchant doesn't accept AmEx, and I get that rebate credit the next month.
I always pay in full each month.
The credit card company is paying me to use their card.
Of course others use cards in this manner that give other types of rewards (ie airline miles). My father's card is through the same bank as his mortgage, so his card rebate goes right toward extra principal payment on his mortgage.
I can't imagine why anyone who is creditworthy would not take advantage of this opportunity rather than do what you are doing.