OT - Bank of America

"HeyBub" wrote

Proximity of shippage. With 17 in one city, you can bring in an 18 wheeler full of just hair scrunchies then local truck them about. A single walmart in some other place isnt on the shippage lines and has to be variety stocked.

Reply to
cshenk

Only a small percentage of their workforce is and those are the former price club employees. The main difference between them and sams (walmart) is unlike sams (walmart) their pay actually raises them out of official poverty status and they have real health insurance.

Reply to
George

Plus the big difference is Costco employees don't need to immediately sign up for welfare/"free" medical and other stuff like walmart (sams) employees do. They actually pay their employees enough to get them out of official poverty status and have actual real health insurance.

Reply to
George

From everything I read you are correct. Both "sides" participated in the "crash".

Reply to
George

So you actually believe the drop all the regulations because we can trust everyone to do the right thing Reagan thinking wasn't responsible for dropping numerous banking regulations which allowed super mega mergers of banking and investment institutions with minimal regulation had nothing to do with last year's implosion? You might want to hit the red kool-aid a little less if you don't.

Reply to
George

I called my bank a few days ago to check on a transaction. In their typically very friendly way, they added a little promotion to the conversation - offering savings accounts. Starting at one-half of one per-cent interest. Methinks we and our banking system are insane.

Reply to
norminn

It was phased out in '97, but since I sold a couple homes prior to '97, I still have to keep all of the information. You are right, I forgot about that change because it did not apply to me. Thanks for the clarification.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

It was replaced for those selling a house AFTER 1997, since I did same BEFORE and have a house that I bought prior to the change, I still have to keep the paperwork. That is where I got confused. You should keep records to prove your home's adjusted basis. Ordinarily, you must keep records for 3 years after the due date for filing your return for the tax year in which you sold your home. But if you sold a home before May 7, 1997, and postponed tax on any gain, the basis of that home affects the basis of the new home you bought. Keep records proving the basis of both homes as long as they are needed for tax purposes.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

You think the Democratically controlled Congress did not agree to go along with these. The NYT "Nobel Laureate" Friedken a few weeks ago was tearing his hair out and Raining Fire And Brimstone down on RR because of a bill that was passed changing the regs. Never did hear from him when I looked in Thomas and noted that that particular bill had passed both Houses of Congress nearly unanimously. (Although credit where due, Barney Franks has actually voted against it at least three times (once in committee, once when the House passed it the first and a third time when the final conference committee bill was passed). Real CONVENIENT memories some people have. You might want to consider cutting back on your Kool-Aid consumption, too.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Pay attention- we were talking about Costco, not Wally World. Wally World sites stores based on where they think a customer base with cash is, where they can cheaply get enough land for one of their asphalt lakes, and where the local government and unions won't mordida them to death with BS extra expenses. (Yes, I know the stores aren't unionized, but you can't build, maintain, and stock a store in an older urban area without dealing with unions. Not all the stock comes on a Walmart truck.) Built-up older cities often fail on one or more of those points. I'm no fan of Walmart, but there is no need to paint them as EVIL, when they are simply following basic money-grubbing 101 rules.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Los Angeles definitely has more than one Wal-Mart store. The city limits extend beyond what the post office refers to as "Los Angeles."

Reply to
Bob

Ah, thanks for the update.

So, then, they pay their workers more and cannot buy merchandise as cheaply as the scale of Walmart provides.

Are prices higher at Costco?

Reply to
HeyBub

Here's their list:

Some of the stores are probably within the city limits and some are definitely within the "Greater Los Angeles Metro Area."

Still, I'm sure the folks living in San Diego would take umbrage at being called "Angelenos."

Reply to
HeyBub

Yep. It wasn't the LACK of regulation, it was too much of the WRONG KIND of regulation. Specifically the requirements that lending institutions serve "underserved" areas.

Cruise through the worst parts of your town. You'll find a Bank of America branch sandwiched between a pawn shop and a Stop-&-Rob in neighborhoods where the only other retail businesses on the street are hookers and crack dealers. Do you think BoA or Wachovia or Washington Mutual opened those branches because of rational business decisions?

Reply to
HeyBub

Thats quite a leap. They aren't greedy like walmart so they don't load as much money into the truck to take back to headquarters and instead pay their employees wages above poverty level. Not sure why you are so overjoyed about the wages walmart pays its employees.

No.

Reply to
George

That what Limbagh told you. None of this would have worked if there also weren't massive opaque institutions who could manufacture the CDOs and other paper to keep the scam running as long as it did.

Banks have always made money from the poor.

Reply to
George

At least they are in the same State. How about the "New York Metropolitan Area" which includes cities and areas areas in New Jersey, Connecticut, and Pennsylvania?

Reply to
willshak

The biggest problem from the regulation standpoint was that the law making the changes in bank regulation never got around to appointing ONE lead agency. Thus, some regs that probably should have been put in place, no one thought they had the authority or that some other agency had it. In other areas, two or three different agencies thought they had authority and either squabbled over who should do it or else all the agencies came up with their own (often contradictory if not flat out mutually exclusive) regs. COngress is preparing, from everything I have seen, to compound the inefficiencies and pretty much fracture the regulation to an even greater degree. And don't EVEN get me started on current rumblings about trying to get the executive more in tune with the shareholders since the tax law changes that largely put us in this pay mess were instituted specifically to do that.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Sure, you think they're making money off you're checking account balance? Well, they are, maybe a few fractions of a cent. But they're really making money off of overdraft fees, credit card interest (especially "penalty" rates) etc.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Which are, for the most part, voluntary on the part of the user.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman