OT: American rules of the road

The problem is they start adding penalties as soon as it is due and you can be in a lot of (financial) trouble before they finally get around to coming after you. The toll by plate already adds a $4-5 "administrative fee" just because you did not buy a transponder and there are no toll booths to pay as you go. That quarter it cost to go over the bridge suddenly becomes five bucks. If you don't pay right away that number continues to climb. You get billed for every time that process server knocks on your door. If it gets to the (failure to appear) "warrant" phase, it can easily be more than $200 plus whatever the court fees are and you might end up in cuffs with your car impounded adding another $100+ bill.

Note I said "in my state" (above). It always depends on the law in *your* jurisdiction.

And I'm not talking about beating tolls. I've never had that problem since there are no toll lanes/roads in my state.

Civil law is fairly uniform in that regard. The speed cameras and red light cameras are just like the toll by plate. It is a private contractor but they are working with the force of the state behind them. In any case, ignoring the bill can get expensive in a hurry. It is all about the money and more money is the penalty until you get to the failure to appear warrant stage. Then you have insulted a judge and that never works out well.
On 9/19/2016 2:35 PM, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: > AL wrote:

Apparently not from what you say your state does.
Here's how the game is played in my state:
http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/12-tips-for-beating-an-arizona-photo-enforcement-ticket-8315276
So far all the people I know who have done this have succeeded including a cop who got the ticket off duty in his personal car.

We went another way and these photo ticket machines are banned in most of the state. I suppose if you want to live your life dodging a process server it might be fine, assuming you are not in Scottdale (which pretty much says it is not state law)

You don't have to dodge the process server for life, only 120 days.
From the link: "if you manage to dodge the server, the ticket will disappear from the system 120 days after it went in."

Scottsdale still has to get you in 120 days. And according to the link 2/3 of the ticket dodgers still weren't served (and thus beat it).

Speed laws can be either state, county, or city. But it makes no difference which speed law was cited on your radar ticket since the 120 day service rule is a state law and thus must be followed by all AZ jurisdictions.

But the article said Scottsdale is getting a judge allowing simply tacking it on the door if they demonstrate that 3 services were not successful. I really don't care because I think camera tickets are questionable at best and they have been largely abandoned here. The toll by plate is a growing industry tho. The thought was toll roads were a way to get tourists to pay their way and they seem to be everywhere in the "blue" areas. I don't have that many toll facilities here and not nearly enough to justify a transponder but when I am up in the Tampa Bay area visiting I get slammed.

I think that was to scare the public into paying. Because 5 trips (3 attempts, once to court, once more to tack on the door) isn't really a very efficient way to collect on one ticket. But publicize that and many who thought about cheating may decide not to.

Cameras were gone here for years. They went away because of a legal problem. The legislature finally fixed it so they are now making a comeback. IMO they can be effective if used where actually needed and not just for revenue generator. People definitely get halos when they know there's a camera about.

We fleece our tourists with high hotel and rental car taxes. But then CA does the same thing to me when I vacation there. (There are so many of us over there that they have a name for us...Zonies.)

We have pretty good sized hotel taxes too but it makes up for no state income tax.

No state income tax? Now that would be nice. Where do I sign up for the toll roads?
On Mon, 19 Sep 2016 23:29:37 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Perhaps it is time to look into it again. I pay a service fee of $1 a month for the transponder. It saves a lot of time and some money even though I don't use toll roads often. Cheaper than paying the service fee for the "mail a bill" method some states use.

It would still be a loser for me. I only go to Tampa 2 or 3 times a year. I don't pay that many tolls. With all the construction on Veterans the locals tell me taking the surface road is faster anyway.
On 9/19/2016 6:39 PM, AL wrote:

Best defense I saw was a guy ticketed for 139 mph. His defense was the car is rated with a top speed of 134 mph. Guilty anyway.
Ed - are you paying the fee for MA passes? I used to have them (my kids went to college in Boston) but I traded them in for NY EZ-Pass which are free for all time and work in all states including MA. The charge/payment mechanism is the same. Just FYI
On 9/20/2016 10:40 PM, snipped-for-privacy@worthless.info wrote:

Back in 2001 I was traveling to NJ every week going through 14 tollbooths every week on the GS parkway. About the second or third trip I got the EZ Pass in NJ. It was free for a fre years and then they tacked on the $1 a a month service. At the time MA had Fast Lane but later it was incorporated into EZPass.
On 09/17/2016 03:14 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Hi Pete,
Both Nevada and the PRC (People's Republic of California) have "traffic school" where you can work off traffic tickets. You have to sit through about a week of condescending.
-T

The traffic schools and such are good for several things. It gives money to the state, employees people, and maybe makes you think about the traffic laws. It is just another way of punishment for those that break the laws. For every law there has to be some form of punishment, or the law is not effective.

Is that why the feds told me I would NOT be receiving any of the $.36/hr back pay I was cheated out of by my temp employer (about $800, total) cuz the Federal Labor Relations Board (their office in San Francisco) told me, and I quote:
"Yes, we've found your company to be in violation of two separate federal labor laws, but we consider such violations as mere "administrative infractions" and their is NO penalty."
Two yrs later, the San Francisco office of the Federal Labor Relations Board, the agency to which I originally complained, no longer even existed, and I didn't get a cent of the $$ owed me. I tried to inform others of this scam --who's gonna pay if there's no penalty?-- and I was told, over and over, "I don't wanna hear it", "Want me to lose my job?", etc.
This over 35 yrs ago. You'd be stunned if you really knew the number of regulatory laws that are jes window dressing.
nb
On Sun, 18 Sep 2016 10:17:39 -0400, Ralph Mowery

When I was in Maryland, traffic school was an administrative process, not a legal punishment. I refused to go and all that happened was a notation was made on my "permanent record". I suppose that once this became apparent, the states used the carrot of lifting your points to make up for the lack of the stick. I know in the "conference" I was at (30-40 people in a big room) they were not happy when I questioned them about the wording of the "recommendation" that I go to the school and what will happen if I don't. I was sent home quickly after that and I assume the cajoling started up again. Back in the "double nickel" days I was playing the computer game (juggling tickets, points and court dates) pretty hard because I was well known to the police. Once that unconstitutional abuse of federal power was repealed, I went back to "safe driver" status.

If this is an administratively prescribed traffic school, you do not get the discount.