Opinions on new kitchen sinks

Hi,
We are thinking about replacing a worn laminate kitchen counter with Corian.
Next item up for review is the sink. Currently have a porcelain enamel coated sink which we're not fond of. It's hard to keep clean & scratches link nobody's business.
We do not want a Corain sink and are considering a high quality stainless or new composite.
Any opinions based on experience?
I prefer stainless for sinks. We have one that is 25 years old and looks like new. TB
Thanks for all the input.

I just had Silestone counters installed and a new Pegasus Graphite sink. I like it a lot. We had a stainless steel sink previously and I like this one much better. We bought the whole package at Home Depot.

Stainless, but make sure you look at various brands and price levels. There's a reason the cheap ones are cheap. And, get a bigger one than you initially think you need. There's ALWAYS some large pot or pan or serving platter that won't fit the sink. Pay attention to the rigidity of the sink's deck - where the faucet mounts. As minerals build up in the neck of the faucet (where it pivots), it will become harder to move back & forth. If the deck is too thin, moving the faucet back & forth can cause the base to lift up slightly from the rubber seal. That will allow water to drip underneath and you'll end up with a mess in the cabinet below.
Look also at sound deadening coatings on the various models. Some have none at all.
Good points. Look at the finish too. We added a shiney stainless sink that shows water sposts and minor scratches. TB

Yeah. Shiny is no indication of the quality of the material.
I just put a new one in for a friend. She bought come sort of composite material. It is black and I had to knock out the holes for the taps etc. The holes are pre scored on the bottom. From the look of what I knocked out it looked like some sort of concrete reinforced with fiberglass mesh. It is also deeper than a normal sink. Next time I need a sink I am going to get this one. It is great. Doesn't scratch any water spots are hidden by the color and it always looks new.

Sounds like the one I put in - Pegasys (sp?), it's a granite composite. It is nice and deep! However, due to the (very fine, but still there) texture, and the (black) color, it does seem to hang on to stuff like paint, and water marks show - so it's a bit hard to keep perfectly spotless. It's done very well in terms of heat resistance, and seems less brittle (glass-breaking) than porcelain sinks I've used.
Just my $0.02, JSH
I found it at moen http://www.moen.com/Consumer/products/kitchen/kitchen_stone.cfm
wrote

I went with an solid surface counter top and attached sink. Looked great! Preformed like merde! I cleaned out my ionic breeze and the carbon fines stained the sink. Full strength Simple green got it out. Could not keep the counter top and sink clean for more than an few hours. Showed very spot and ALL of the dust. I had hard water so that was another issue.
Good luck and may your results be better. I will stick to stainless for ever now.
Stainless is the most practical, we went with a double sink with a side piece as well. Go the Elkay web site and look at selections. We keep a stainless dish drainer in the deeper sink. Makes it easy to pile up pots and pans after washing. Be sure to get a faucet shaped like and upside down U, much better for big pots etc. Finally make sure the sink is 18 gauge not 20 gauge as many of the cheaper ones are.

And, make sure the faucet does not reach to far toward you, in terms of the distance from the mounting spot to some point on the opposite site. I just moved into this house, and the faucet reaches almost 80% of the way across the sink. Ridiculous. It's forever getting in the way.

I have a composite undermount sink and have been very happy with it for 3 years is cleans up well and the disposal is very quiet stainless seems to make the disposal noisier. I went with a large DEEP single sink I don't see any value in a double sink myself. Pictures here http://groups.msn.com/AlaskaCruiseCrystalHarmony/kitchen.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID92
Wayne
"Davma" < snipped-for-privacy@123.com

one side for dishes, the other for car parts...
randy