One more post about the new kitchen

Page 2 of 2
philo posted for all of us...

I think I didn't phrase my question correctly. Are the corner blocks to hid e something or just a transitional treatment?
--
Tekkie

There's "remodeling" and there's "rebuilding." Paint and a few new appliances/cabinets can be considered to be remodeling. Add new walls with new tiles and the underlying new electrical and plumbing, new cabinetry, and expensive SS appliances, and it's in "rebuilding" territory. Skilled craftsmen just add to the cost. About 30 years ago I remodeled 2 kitchens in my 2-flat. They were 1920's era kitchens, with no cabinets. Large pantry. I just patched some plaster, painted, and added about 18' of floor to ceiling cabinets and countertop to each kitchen. That included sinks and dishwashers. Formica clad cabinets and countertops. Cost me about $5k, but my brother got the cabinets with his GC license. Would have been $10k retail. Without labor. You pay a lot for skilled labor. Contractor cost markup takes a big bite.
On 09/10/2015 03:51 AM, Vic Smith wrote:

The main rebuilding was done 25 years ago when I gutted the kitchen and as mentioned put in 5/8" drywall. This was mostly a remodeling project...but I did have to remove a bit of drywall to add more electrical circuits.
Yep, for a contractor to have done that would have been costly.
One thing I've also noticed about contractors is that sometimes they just don't show up.
I've made verbal deals (with no down payment) to a number of contractors and they just plain never showed up.
Worse would be that they'd decide to quit in the middle of a job.

job, tell me how badly they need the work and then drive away, never to be seen again.

It happens, Remember when you pay them, they are done. No reason to come back. Be sure to hold back enough money to get them back and never pay for something that isn't finished. Buy your own materials and have them delivered to your job. Don't front up "material" money.

The guy who did my roof, replaced the roof on the house and the roof on the front porch...but did not do the back porch.
He did not charge me for it...but it took me at least six months to get him to come back and do it.
He was a good guy though as I told him I did not have quite enough money to pay for the entire job all at once...so he held the bill for *six months* and did not tack on any add'l fee...So I could not complain too much about the back porch.
On 9/10/2015 7:17 AM, philo wrote:

And, often contractors *think* they know more than they actually *do*! And, hire grunts who know even LESS!
We had A/C installed many years ago. The house had been built with this in mind. A 4" (6"??) pipe is buried under the slab that extends from a location outside teh south side of the house and terminates in the "furnace room". I.e., it's intended for the refrigeration lines to pass through that tube after the house had been built atop it.
Pipe/tube is not a straight run. Rather, like a "limp" dog leg:
furnace / outside ----------/
Of course, as this is *below* the slab, the pipe also has a twist *upward* (i.e., out of your display as viewing this) at the furnace end.
Passing a 1.25" dia copper pipe through this tube is a chore as the pipe really doesn't *want* to bend; it has to be coerced to do so.
The bozos that came to install this stuff spent *hours* trying to get the pipe through the tube. The self-appointed "einstein" of the group eventually, CONFIDENTLY announced that our "house was built wrong" -- depite the fact that you can *walk* to similar homes *with* installed A/C in the neighborhood!
Turns out, they were trying to PUSH the pipe through the tube FROM THE FURNACE END -- despite my telling them to do it from the *outside* end ("Oh, but it's so much cooler working INSIDE the house than sitting out in that hot Sun!").
Think about it: you *push* the pipe into the furnace-end opening. After a foot, or so, it has to bend 45 "up" degrees to transition to a horizontal orientation to travel along the underside of the slab. Then, after 3 feet, it has to bend "right" to pass through that portion of the dog-leg. Then, 30 feet straight out.
But, it's not a FLEXIBLE pipe! So, once bent, it wants to *stay* bent! At the same time, new portions of pipe *need* to bend to follow along after the earlier portions of pipe. So, the more pipe you have in the tube, the harder it is to push!
Solution: feed the line through from the *outside*. While it is still outside the tube, you can carefully straighten it so it will travel that ~30 feet unimpeded. Then, when it encounters the dog leg AT THE END of it's travels, you only have to get a few *feet* to bend through that transition region. Additionally, don't just *push* the pipe but also *pull* it from the furnace end!

Or, show up and get started -- just enough to "get you pregnant". Then, chase after OTHER jobs figuring they can come back to finish yours, later. You, of course, have no recourse (unless you've set performance goals in your WRITTEN contract).

So, I've been fabricating supports out of 1/2 x 3/4 cold rolled steel bars in which I've drilled holes every inch along the length. A bracket on the underside of each shelf will spring-load pegs into these brackets (two on each side) so the shelf won't be able to move up, down or in/out until they are retracted.
Where did you get the spring-loaded pins, that's a fantastic idea and those pins could be used in many places?
On 9/10/2015 6:35 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

Originally, I considered using bullet catch's as they could be installed as "blind" hardware. But, they won't support the load (weight) -- a natural consequence of their design!
You also need a way of "retracting" the pins in order to remove/relocate the shelf. I.e., AS IF there was a little "lever" on the pin that you could grasp to pull the pin back out of the hole in the support.
Rather than looking for something special/custom, I just opted to use latch bolts:
<
http://img.directindustry.com/images_di/photo-g/sliding-bolt-latch-69346-2871779.jpg
Place shelf in position (this is actually difficult because the shelves are pretty heavy and you have ANOTHER shelf -- with stuff on it -- below the shelf you are installing); slip one bolt out into its mating hole in the upright support; move to the diagonally opposing bolt and engage it with its support; then find the other bolts and finish up.
You can also use "security bolts" for doors (the sort that slide into the door frame to hold the top and bottom of a door in place). These are available in concealable forms (i.e., you'd embed them *in* the sides of the shelves). But, that adds a lot of cost and makes the shelves thicker to conceal the bolts.
You also have to consider how you will be fabricating the supports. E.g., if the bolt you choose has a square profile, how are you going to "perforate" the support with all these SQUARE holes?? :-(
Had the whole gang over last night including the $60,000 kitchen guy and people who had seen his kitchen...I think they were all impressed with our low-budget wonder.
One of the people there whispered to me that his wife got an inheritance and the kitchen is where the money went.
If I got a $60k inheritance, I still would have done our budget kitchen....thrown one hell of a party and taken a nice vacation...then invested the remaining $50k
BTW: One guy got drunk and spilled red wine on one the the newly upholstered kitchen chairs. Though my wife got the stain out she was not happy.
Sheesh...you get a new kitchen with a lot of people drinking and something is going to happen. This was pretty minor.
One of the women who was over actually has a video of herself setting firecrackers off on her dining room table. I somehow suspect heavy drinking was involved.
On 9/12/2015 2:04 PM, philo wrote:

Congratulations! Though I suspect some of the husbands will start harboring ill thoughts towards you as their wives pester them with "Why can't WE (which is code for YOU) do something like that? I'm tired of this old wallpaper and we could use some new appliances..." :>

<shrug> Folks have different priorities. One year, I received 48 pounds of Turkish pistachio nuts for XMAS. By far, the BEST gift!! (despite the fact that I had nothing to show for it, later)

*Or*, buy 3,000 pounds of pistachios!!!!!

Next time, make a very visible point of serving him WATER! Let others wonder why (and dare to ask!)

One wonders hat she'll be naming the newborn, come May...
On 09/12/2015 04:53 PM, Don Y wrote:

I love pistachios...Will have to get some the next time I go to the store.
Once in California a bought a whole shopping bag full of them ...cheap!

He is not a wine drinker...he knocked over the red wine reaching for his bottle of Jack Daniels.
BTW: He called this morning to apologize and offer to pay for the damage... I told him...no problem...stain came out.

She is a bit crazy...even for one of my friends she is "way out there"
She would not get away with that here of course
On 9/12/2015 5:44 PM, philo wrote:

They're crap. Buy some turkish ones. The difference is definitely worth the cost. Google "Zenobia".

Crazy can be fun.