One more painting question

That's what you get for being so helpful. This is a great group.
The window I had installed in the front has those grills that you can remove. I've decided that, for the time being, I would like to leave them natural. Natural, yet with a clear protective finish like polyurethane.
I want something that won't yellow. As far as I'm concerned, that leaves out Varathane (sp).
I want something that I can then paint over down the road if I change my mind (it's my perogative).
Before I head out to the paint store, any advice? Thanks.
nancy

Keep in mind once you put on a finish you won't be able to stain them if that is in your future possibilities. You can paint over it though.
Any oil based coating will yellow them. Water based polyurethane will not. Deft brushing lacquer stays rather true also.
if it's exposed to water, polyurethane will be disastrous to maintain. needing a complete refinish (sanding et al) every couple of years
wrote in message

I used marine grade poly on some accessories (rod holders, etc.) I built for my boat. Not sure about whether I notice yellowing, unless it's been too gradual to see, but physically, the finish is still intact, and it's exposed to sun, rain, fish guts, beer, suncreen residue, etc. Of course, since it comes from a boat store, it costs $2 million per quart, but that's another issue.
wrote in message

The fake muntins referred to are on the _inside_ of the envelope- at least I assume that any sane person would put them there. Which is typically pretty dry.
Big challenge to polyurethane is uv, anyhow.

Thing is, I'm painting the frame white (on the inside). If I painted them grills, I'd only paint the side that shows inside. Weird, I know, but white doesn't go with the outside of my house. For now I would like to leave them the color they are, but protected so I can clean them.

Gotcha, water based, that is what I will look for.

Yes, these are fixed windows, to boot.

The window is pretty well sheltered and doesn't get much sun.
Thanks, everyone, for the advice.
nancy

My first advice is that you tell us what the grills are made of. I'm guessing wood, or you probably wouldn't be asking, but it would be good to know for sure. What coating do you have on the windowsill and casing? I would duplicate that.
Well, actually, I'd get rid of them entirely. They're not fooling anyone, and all they do is collect dust.