One hose portable AC?

Page 3 of 3
On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 12:11:04 -0700 (PDT), BenDarrenBach

Thanks. a lot.
Did you see what one guy's con was
"Humidity evaporator is not a reason to purchase this product. I have to empty the humidity tank every 2-3 hours. The pipe for emptying the humidity tank is very close to the ground. With a carpet the pipe is actually on the carpet, so I have to lift..."
You're lucky yours works so well, or you live in the desert. <grin>
On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 8:11:03 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:

I've setup 4 of these units (in the Mid-West) and none had a issue were they even stopped because they needed to be drained...so do as you wish!

I wonder what model he's got. Ours both had some sort of evaporator built into the condensate pan, and water never built up to the point where it needed to be manually emptied. Thus, like BenDarrenBach, I never actually had to empty the pan. But it would slosh over slightly if the unit was moved too suddenly.
We bought both our units at Costco, which tends to carry high-quality merchandise.
By the way, we have neither of them any more, since we now have central air.
--
Tegger

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 16:59:14 -0800, "Guv Bob"

I have to reread the manual for the one we saw in person, a Sylvania P-12PE (I"ve also seen pictures of it under RCA, another brand, and the one she saw in person was labeled Magnavox.) Anyhow, it seems to have to outputs, one over a foot high and one just above the floor. When it beeps 8 times, the AC turns off, the fan runs, and you have to empty the lower one. How that happens if you have a hose connected to the one a foot high, I don't know.
Before that, about the higher drain, it says "install the drain connector(5/8 universal female mender) with 3 4 hose"
I've never seen mender used like this before, and the machine we saw had a male connector anyhow. The English in the manual is good, but not perfect. Maybe this is just an error in English.

Well that's not good, especially since the room is carpeted.
On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 10:22:52 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:

"Funai Electric Company, Limited is a Japanese consumer electronics company headquartered in Daitō, Osaka, Japan. Its United States-based subsidi ary Funai Corporation, Inc., based in Torrance, California, markets Funai-l icensed brands including Sylvania, Emerson Radio, Magnavox, Philips, and Sy mphonic.
Funai is the main supplier of electronics to Wal-Mart and Sam's Club stores , with production quantities easily topping 2 million flat-panel television s during the summertime per year for Black Friday sale, which all 2 million units easily sold-out within few minutes. Funai is the OEM providing assem bled televisions and video players/recorders to major corporations such as Sharp, Toshiba, Denon, and others. Funai also manufactures printers for Del l and Lexmark."
On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 18:23:48 -0700 (PDT), BenDarrenBach

I tried not to sound snotty.
OTOH, maybe that guy I quoted lives in the Amazon jungle.
On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 10:22:52 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:

"Funai Electric Company, Limited is a Japanese consumer electronics company headquartered in Daitō, Osaka, Japan. Its United States-based subsidiary Funai Corporation, Inc., based in Torrance, California, markets Funai-licensed brands including Sylvania, Emerson Radio, Magnavox, Philips, and Symphonic.
Funai is the main supplier of electronics to Wal-Mart and Sam's Club stores, with production quantities easily topping 2 million flat-panel televisions during the summertime per year for Black Friday sale, which all 2 million units easily sold-out within few minutes. Funai is the OEM providing assembled televisions and video players/recorders to major corporations such as Sharp, Toshiba, Denon, and others. Funai also manufactures printers for Dell and Lexmark."
------ My experience with Funai about a Magnavox TV/DVR/VCR, was all good. Good manual and telephone support. They even sold remote controls that I needed on ebay for $15.

get another like it.

along the floor to outside. It's a royal pain to use. Don't even get started with one of those.

My floor model is on wheels and is a good 60+ pounds. I ended up putting mine up on bricks to get a decent size drain pan underneath. Humidity here at that time was around 50% at 90 deg F. I set it at 80 deg and condensation was 1/4 to 1/2 gallon in 45 minutes.
BTW, I had wrapped the bricks in cardboard to keep from scratching the wood floor. One day I walked into the room and someone had moved the AC over a couple of feet. First thing I did was look at the bricks and sure enough, the frame was just barely on the edge of one of them. Would have been really bad if that thing had fallen on a foot, etc. It weighs at least 50 pounds.
If I end up keeping it this summer, I'll make a stand out of 2x4's, put it on rollers and fasten the stand to the unit. Also, will drill a hole in the floor and run the drain tube down and slope it out one of the crawl space vents.
In retrospect, I wish I had cut a window between studs in the wall and put in a wall unit. No benefit in my case for it to be on wheels.
On 6/25/2014 1:39 PM, Guv Bob wrote:

size drain pan underneath. Humidity here at that time was around 50% at 90 deg F. I set it at 80 deg and condensation was 1/4 to 1/2 gallon in 45 minutes.
CY: That's a lot of humidity.

and someone had moved the AC over a couple of feet.
CY: Scratched the floor badly?

Would have been really bad if that thing had fallen on a foot, etc. It weighs at least 50 pounds.
CY: Wow, bad judgement on someone part.

CY: Now that sounds like good planning.
Also, will drill a hole in the floor and run the drain tube down and slope it out one of the crawl space vents.
CY: When someone rolls it a couple feet, the drain hose will be on the indoor floor?

it to be on wheels.
CY: We can learn from others wisdom.

--
.
Christopher A. Young

I'm about halfway through this thread and have not seen the issue of condensation mentioned.
I'm guessing there has to be a hose running downhill to a sink or something.
??
--
Pete Cresswell

Per (PeteCresswell):

Oops... Right after I hit "Send", I came upon BenDarrenBach's post.
Mea Culpa.
--
Pete Cresswell

On Wed, 25 Jun 2014 09:39:32 -0800, "Guv Bob"

Wow. I've spent so much time on this with my friend that I'm starting to get interested too. She and I have similar housing problems. That's half the basis of our relationship.
And one of my first thoughts was how to drain the condensation. I figured I'd run a hose to the shower stall.
But someone suggested something and then I thought I'd just drill a hole to the outside. 30 years ago I accidentally drilled a 1/2" hole to the outside, T1-11, painted dark brown, and I patched it with brown latex caulk, and here it is 30 years later and I haven't noticed the hole in all these years. It really doesn't shrink or fade.
But then I remembered how the cable guy ran the cable to my upstairs bedroom. There is an overhang of about a foot, and he drilled down from the closet into the overhang. Since I don't have cable anymore, I can either use his hole or drill a new one.

One should never let anyone else do anything. Maybe keep them in a crate like a dog.

I'll bear that in mind.
On Wed, 25 Jun 2014 09:39:32 -0800, "Guv Bob"

Ah, you were the one who gave me the idea of drilling. But I'm on the second floor. Hard to drill down two floors.
On Wednesday, June 25, 2014 3:52:34 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:

Buy the person below you a pole lamp and run a hose through it! (you do a lot of worrying for a problem that may not exist)

Then just drill it straight down and put a bucket on the first floor.
BTW, last summer she used fans, and she kept count of how many bad days there were. There were 8. Unfortuately, she can't remember how she defined bad. Did that mean she needed both fans running to tolerate the heat at night, or did it mean EVEN with both fans running, she was miserable and couldn't sleep well. I told her that makes a big difference. She says she was so busy trying to keep track of the number, she forgot to remember what it meant.