OLD WIRING

I HAVE AN OLD HOUSE 1952,THERE WAS AN ADDITION AND A NEW BOX INSIDE THE HOUSE,AND THERE ARE SOME OLD WIRING THAT ARE BOTH WHITE AND THAT WORRIES ME,ESPECIALLY THAT I HAVE HIGH LIGHT BILLS,I CAN READ 120 V BETWEEN HOT AND GROUND BUT INT HE OLD AREAS THERE IS NO GROUND WIRE.HELP GUYS.

THANK YOU

Reply to
samhou2001

If you are worried about safety, call an electrician and have him inspect the wiring.

If you want all the wiring brought up to code, call several electricians and get estimates to have your house re-wired.

If you want to save on your electric bill, new wiring will not do this. However learning about energy savings will help. You can get new "Energy Star" appliances, install compact flourescent bulbs, get a solar water heater, add more insulation to your home, install new "Energy Star" windows, etc. Here are some energy and money saving links...

Energy saving tips...

Frugal living...

Bill

Get an electrician to inspect. New wiring won't lower your electric bill. Don't post in all capital letters.

Reply to
Fjiluk The Hogfish-Beater

tips...

living...

question about having your house re-wired. If the existing wires are all snugly clamped to the framing, then how are the old wires removed? Does all the drywall have to come off, or would all the old wiring be disconnected from the main circuit box and just left alone while new wires are fished thru?

Reply to
saag

On Jun 8, 11:52?am, saag

Yeah that hows its done run all new wiring and likely new breaker box / service entrance.

Its a excellent thing to do adds safety, and convenience.

What you probably have is knob and tube wiring, which often causes trouble getting homeowners insurance.

Although sadly it wouldnt save money on your electric bill:(

Reply to
hallerb

What do you want help with?

Reply to
Dan C

I can help you! You've come to the right place!

New keyboard only $12.00 plus shipping.

Reply to
HeyBub

I appreciate your response,There is no knob & tube,but some areas has

2 white wires,and others have b&w ,my question is fire safety,Since someone can read 120v between hot and ground,Now which white wire suppose to be hot?
Reply to
samhou2001

Black wire is hot.

Reply to
Meat Plow

have you ever seen knob and tube wiring, it looks as you describe

Reply to
hallerb

The place where you can have a white wire connected to the hot side is in a switch loop using a cable like Romex. You are supposed to reidentify the white to some other color but that is a fairly new rule. When you use a cable fior a switch loop you feed the hot into the white and the black is the switched return so the installer at the light fixture end is presented with a hot black (switched leg) and the regular white neutral. At the source end seeing a white under a wirenut with a black should tip you off that this is a switch leg.

Reply to
gfretwell

oooh that made my brain hurt. we wuz chatting about just plain old wirez.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Switch legs using Romex is about as "plain" an "old wire" as you can get. There is at least one in most ceiling boxes unless you live in Chicago. (Romex is illegal there)

Reply to
gfretwell

I thought they used red for that or am I thinking of something else?

Reply to
Meat Plow

Why would Romex be illegal in Chicago?

Reply to
Eigenvector

Union controlled writing the local codes...

--

Reply to
dpb

Chicago has probably the most restrictive electrical codes anywhere in the United States. Something to do with being worried about big fires...

Reply to
Doug Miller