OLD WIRING

I HAVE AN OLD HOUSE 1952,THERE WAS AN ADDITION AND A NEW BOX INSIDE THE HOUSE,AND THERE ARE SOME OLD WIRING THAT ARE BOTH WHITE AND THAT WORRIES ME,ESPECIALLY THAT I HAVE HIGH LIGHT BILLS,I CAN READ 120 V BETWEEN HOT AND GROUND BUT INT HE OLD AREAS THERE IS NO GROUND WIRE.HELP GUYS.
THANK YOU
If you are worried about safety, call an electrician and have him inspect the wiring.
If you want all the wiring brought up to code, call several electricians and get estimates to have your house re-wired.
If you want to save on your electric bill, new wiring will not do this. However learning about energy savings will help. You can get new "Energy Star" appliances, install compact flourescent bulbs, get a solar water heater, add more insulation to your home, install new "Energy Star" windows, etc. Here are some energy and money saving links...
Energy saving tips... http://www1.eere.energy.gov/consumer/tips/ http://www.energystar.gov
Frugal living... http://www.google.com/search?num &hl=en&safe=off&q=frugal+living

question about having your house re-wired. If the existing wires are all snugly clamped to the framing, then how are the old wires removed? Does all the drywall have to come off, or would all the old wiring be disconnected from the main circuit box and just left alone while new wires are fished thru?
On Jun 8, 11:52?am, saag <>

Yeah that hows its done run all new wiring and likely new breaker box / service entrance.
Its a excellent thing to do adds safety, and convenience.
What you probably have is knob and tube wiring, which often causes trouble getting homeowners insurance.
Although sadly it wouldnt save money on your electric bill:(

I appreciate your response,There is no knob & tube,but some areas has 2 white wires,and others have b&w ,my question is fire safety,Since someone can read 120v between hot and ground,Now which white wire suppose to be hot?

Black wire is hot.
#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007

The place where you can have a white wire connected to the hot side is in a switch loop using a cable like Romex. You are supposed to reidentify the white to some other color but that is a fairly new rule. When you use a cable fior a switch loop you feed the hot into the white and the black is the switched return so the installer at the light fixture end is presented with a hot black (switched leg) and the regular white neutral. At the source end seeing a white under a wirenut with a black should tip you off that this is a switch leg.
On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 12:43:06 -0400, gfretwell wrote:

oooh that made my brain hurt. we wuz chatting about just plain old wirez.

Switch legs using Romex is about as "plain" an "old wire" as you can get. There is at least one in most ceiling boxes unless you live in Chicago. (Romex is illegal there)
On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 15:04:31 -0400, gfretwell wrote:

I thought they used red for that or am I thinking of something else?

Why would Romex be illegal in Chicago?
Eigenvector wrote:

Union controlled writing the local codes...

Chicago has probably the most restrictive electrical codes anywhere in the United States. Something to do with being worried about big fires...
--
Regards,
On Jun 9, 9:37?am, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net wrote:

have you ever seen knob and tube wiring, it looks as you describe

Get an electrician to inspect. New wiring won't lower your electric bill. Don't post in all capital letters.
#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 14:28:11 +0000, samhou2001 wrote:

What do you want help with?

I can help you! You've come to the right place!
New keyboard only $12.00 plus shipping.