old dresser knobs - no screws

I'm trying to refinish an old dresser, but ran into a stumbling block when trying to take the hardware off the drawers. The knobs and handles are not screwed on, but from the inside have some form of connection I have not seen before. Can anyone tell me what this type of mechanism is called and how I can remove it without destroying the drawer front? Image is here:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/231/drawerknobinside.jpg/
The picture doesn't show it great, but the inside of the piece is hollow and threaded. What for, I can't say...
Thanks.
Matt wrote:

From the picture, it looks like part of a metal knob...one with a ribbed outside which is pressed into a hole in the drawer front and then held in place with a bolt from the back into the threaded center.
--

dadiOH

Try to twist it counter clockwise. It may unscrew. WW

Is that photo showing the inside face of the drawer front?
Does the drawer front appear to be made of two layers?
--
Tegger

On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 11:18:17 -0700, Smitty Two

Sure look like thread-serts - if the handles or knobs are round I'd bet they thread in - just twist them counterclockwize and they should loosen and come off. (lefty loosey, righty tighty)