Oklahoma furnace request for help

Page 1 of 2
A friend of mine writes this:
I live in a two story raised ranch. I have a Carrier furnae in the cellar, it's natural gas. I have the thermostat all the way to the hottest, and I even tried another thermostat. The furnace does nothing. Doesn't hum, and the gas valve doesn't click. The inducer doesn't come on. The house is getting cold.
What could be my problem? Signed, "getting cold in Oklahoma"
--

Christopher A. Young;
.

That's easy. Your furnace is not working. Let me know if you need any more help.
Steve

Is it plugged in?

Easy , burn the furniture, and stop trolling.
On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 16:07:45 -0800 (PST), ransley

Bingo. Oklahoma - ice storm - no power -
I told my wife that 400K something people in the heartland were without power. She laughed and said to me "no thats 400K something people without a generator " .
<snip>

The latest count is 564,000 households without commercial power. There are quite a few with generators including me. :) We have been without power since early Monday morning. They are saying it will be 7 to 10 days before everyone is back up.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired

Christopher A. Young;
.
.

"Jim Rusling" < snipped-for-privacy@rusling.org> wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Well, I'm in Oklahoma and fortunately I didn't lose power. But as to how long it will take. The last 2 ice storms (Christmas 2000 and January 2007) at McAlester here in Oklahoma my brother-in-laws house was without power for 11 days. But it depends on a lot of factors. Out in the country there were people without power for up to a month. Some places they couldn't get trucks in and had to carry everything in.
Bill Gill
BillGill wrote:

After the Dec/Jan blizzard/ice in '05 across W KS/E CO, there were areas which were well over 30 days owing to such severe conditions and so much. Sunflower, the distribution arm of the W KS electric co-ops, lost over 20,000 poles alone. There were a dozen or so of the large HV cross-country transmission towers down in one area; a section of line just NW of us was taken down for a complete run of 27 miles with not a single pole left standing...
While bad, it can be even worse...this time, we were on the SW corner and stayed just above freezing for the most part. Did get the first 1" moisture since July 4 weekend so we're pretty happy, actually... :)

30 days sounds miserable. What did you to, to adapt?
--

Christopher A. Young;
.

"dpb" < snipped-for-privacy@non.net> wrote in message news:fjp0bv$vk8$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org...
Where should she send your fee?
--

Christopher A. Young;
.

"SteveB" < snipped-for-privacy@mochajava.com> wrote in message

I suggest :
http://www.landoverbaptist.org /

He is lucky to even have electricity. We have been without power since Monday morning.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired

Everyone knows you need to replace the thermost at least 4 times before you get one that works right. Bubba

All joking aside - You need electricity and gas-- Then you need a flame ignition - pilot light or electronic spark. Then if the thermostat call for heat, the main burner kicks on with flame ignition With the main burner on, the heat exchanger heats up to a pre-set amount, and finally a relay kicks in and eclectic power is applied to the fan motor.
Several things can go wrong, mostly around the safety feature(s) that the main gas valve has to prevent it from opening with no main burner ignition. Trust me; safety features you don't want to bypass.
Your post focused on thermostat, which is (are) mostly reliable these days. No information on your fault isolation on electric power, or pilot light (electronic spark?) ignition.
The worst fault to find in your case might be a broken thermostat wire between the furnace and the thermostat. Any remodeling last summer? This is a very remote chance. I think it is pilot light, or electricity.
Electricity? Electricity? Why would a gas furnace need electricity?
--

Christopher A. Young;
.

"Phil-In-Mich." < snipped-for-privacy@not-want-spam.net> wrote in message
On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 21:23:21 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
Because mine does?
Stormy -
You know, on alt.hvac, I sometimes feel sorry for you because the guys pick on you so much, but you claim to be at least a furnace tech, and people like me, a landlord with limited skills, no training, and little experience can figure come up with a plan to troubleshoot this, such as:
1) Confirm the breaker is on and you have 115v at the switch (disconnect). 2) Make sure the switch is on. 3) Make sure the lower door is on to hold the door switch down and make sure that switch is passing 115v through 4) Check for 24v at the transformer secondary. 5) Check the fuse on the circuit board
Geez
JK
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Liar you have no friends--oh and quit killing my grandkids kittens you fucking asshole.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:God-kills-kitten.jpg

Yeah, yah. Is that your best shot? Why don't you be creative, and mention my testicles or something? Oh, no, I guess that's old, too. I guess you could mention my religion, no, well, that's been done.
Maybe you better stick to kitten insults. They are relatively easy. Anyhow, you're welcome to flame me again.
--

Christopher A. Young;
.