Oil paint no longer available

Hi,

I wanted to paint some of the spots on the outside of my house that was pealing a bit. The paint that was used was Benjamin Moore's 110, Alkyd, Oil based, Outside White paint. The local supply store said that they can no longer sell this paint because of polution and VOD regulations. I am in New York State. What is the correct replacement paint that I should use?

Tasking:

Residential Exterior Plastic and Wood Trim

Many thanks

Reply to
hobbes

hobbes wrote on 25 Feb 2008 in group alt.home.repair:

The person you spoke with at Benjamin Moore is in the best position to answer your question. Go see him again.

Reply to
Steve

You may still be able to buy non-compliant VOC paint in quarts.

RicodJour

I'm in NY as well, and equally screwed. I'm biting the bullet and slowly replacing all the clapboards on my house, priming all sides and using stain. Non-oil based paint just doesn't last. I used to paint one side of the house at a time, as needed, and that's how I'm doing the replacement siding.

Reply to
<h>

Don&#39;t settle for second-best. The paint you want is available from hundreds of dealers on-line.

Reply to
HeyBub

I was told my B Moore here in Virginia the same thing. I wanted to buy a gallon of their polyurethane to refinish my HW floors. They told me they could only sell it in quarts due to VOC rules.

Yet 1 mile down the road, Home Depot sells Minwax poly by the gallon. I think they even have a brand of poly in 5 gallon cans in their tool rental department.

Not sure I get it. Maybe Minwax is VOC compliant?

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

Seems to be a lot of confusion and the regulations are wacky too from what I&#39;ve been told.

Certain stores have an exemption for some period of time, some regions have exemptions for some period or time. Some manufacturers have already decided to phase out the oil base while others will continue for a while. Old stock can continue to be sold.

Of course, that does not directly answer your question either.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

It&#39;s the best explanation I&#39;ve had so far! Thanks as always EP.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

That is probably true, but if you do purchase and use it, technically you are breaking the law. It is not just the sale of the product, but that use that is illegal.

paul oman progressive epoxy polymers, inc.

Reply to
Paul Oman

From what I read, at least in some places it&#39;s only the 1 gallon containers that are banned. 5 gallon and quart containers are still available.

And everything oil based is harder to get these days since almost everyone is using latex for everything (even stuff they really should be using oil based paint for). I have not previously heard of anyone having provlems getting oil based polyeurethane though. I live in one of the offending states and have no problem finding gallons of oil based polyeurethane.

Reply to
scott21230

--------------- &#39;oil&#39; based is really a way of saying solvent based....

The one quart exemptions are still in place except in California.

5 gal units not except.

many urethanes are being reformulated with lower VOCs, still in many places you can paint your car with coating X but not your outdoor grill because the car is &#39;mobile equipment&#39; but the grill is not.

I have a web page that explains a lot of this...

paul oman progressive epoxy polymers

Reply to
Paul Oman

Assuming it has been previously painted, I&#39;d likely prime it with Fresh Start Alkyd primer then top coat with Moorglo.

Reply to
Bonnett Decorating