oil change interval

Page 2 of 4
On 8/30/2015 1:22 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Yes. We buy the oil in 5q containers with the "gauge" on the side and just pour out what the car will take. But, putting it all in the engine results in at least a pint "high" -- the oil that would have to get *pushed* into the filter.
It's relatively easy (and better for the engine) to just fill the filter from that same premeasured batch.
On 8/28/2015 10:25 PM, rbowman wrote:

My van has an oil leak, and I'm currently in the process of looking for an affordable part. The dealership was going to charge $590 for the parts to fix the oil filter adapter, and about $100 in labor. Right now I just add more oil to it occasionally.
I've heard that older vehicles are held together by the old oil and if you change it the motor thinks the world is coming to an end and won't start any more.
--
Maggie

On 08/29/2015 10:47 AM, Muggles wrote:

how old is old? Back before detergent oil you definitely didn't want to stir the shit up. Back when you adjusted valve clearance, I've pulled valve covers to find what looked like a thick coating of grease. suddenly introducing them to detergent oil wasn't a good idea. I think that's where the paranoia about going from dino to synthetic came from.

Back then yhou had to work on cars more often. Now outside of oil, brakes, tires, filters and lights there is nothing to do for around the first 100,000 miles. The old cars required work every 10,000 or less.
On 08/29/2015 07:00 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Yeah, I've got a dwell tach, timing light, and vacuum/pressure gauge that are getting really lonely. I checked the valve gap on one of the bikes a few weeks ago just for old times' sake but they were good.
On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 14:50:09 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster

Sometimes twice BEFORE it got out of the driveway - - -

Not recycled oil back then. Sometimes it was inferior oil - but when I worked at the service station we still had the bulk tank and the glass jars - and the bulk tank was filled with the top quality havoline engine oil, just like the bulk grease dispenser had the top-line Marfak grease. Exactly the same stuff that came prepackaged, but at about half the cost.

That is a name I haven't heard in a long time...
--
Tekkie

It's been a LONG time since I was an apprentice mechanic - - - -
On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 13:58:07 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster

They had to be - because you were ALWAYS working on them.
On 8/29/2015 1:03 PM, rbowman wrote:

17 year mini van

I'm just happy the old girl starts every day.
--
Maggie

On 08/31/2015 10:49 AM, Muggles wrote:

That's probably always had detergent oil.
On 8/31/2015 9:57 PM, rbowman wrote:

I dunno. I was told to put 5w30 oil in it.
--
Maggie

Never been a non-retergent 5W30
On 9/1/2015 11:52 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I don't know what sort of oil it is, just that's what I was told to put in it because of it's age.
--
Maggie

5w20 or 5w30 was specified by the factory. Depending where you live 10W40 might be a good alternative in the summer if it has high mileage or is staring to use a wee bit of oil (not lose it) - and if in Texas or Arkansas or other hot place, even 20W50 for the summer.
On 9/1/2015 3:49 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

The mileage on it is 110,187. Is that considered high or low miles for a '98 van?
--
Maggie

On 09/01/2015 09:02 PM, Muggles wrote:

Around here, that's referred to as 'hardly broken in'. In a state where the towns big enough to have a Burger King are 100 miles apart, it adds up fast. Because of that most of the mileage is accumulated at 80 mph with very little stop and go driving or idling in endless traffic jams. A Boston van that never saw the other side of 128 and had 110,000 would likely be ready for the crusher.
On 9/2/2015 8:40 AM, rbowman wrote:

I'd say about 80% is highway miles. The rest accumulated around town.
--
Maggie

On 9/1/2015 11:02 PM, Muggles wrote:

Below average. Most people put 10,000 to 12,000 a year.