oil change

Page 2 of 5

You never thought of looking in the Owner's Manual? Oil-change instructions are usually given in there.
--
Tegger

Tegger,
Oil change instructions are not usually found in an owner's manual. Checking the oil is discussed but changing it is not. What car do you have?
Dave M.
David L. Martel wrote:

Hi, If OP has to ask about it, better not do it himself I don't do it, I don't want to take care of used oil and filter,etc.

Just flipped through the Owner's Manual for our freshly-bought (this week) 2013 Toyota RAV-4, and you're right. The Manual tells me how to jack up the vehicle, and what to do with used filters, but makes no mention at all of how to change the oil amd filter.
So I counter with a Google Search: https://www.google.com/#q=dodge+caravan+oil+change
I wonder why the OP wouldn't have thought of that before posting.
--
Tegger

Tegger wrote:

Hi, Being lazy or to save time.

I guess we could ask you the same thing.

Yep, right you are. On Page 609 of the 2014 Grand Caravan owner's manual, there's a section entitled "Change Engine Oil" with some very detailed instructions.
I quote:
Change Engine Oil
The Oil Change Indicator system will remind you that it's time to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance.
http://www.chryslercommercialvehicles.com/dodge/download/pdf/manuals/2014-Grand_Caravan-OM-2nd.pdf
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Hi, Right. After changing oil, reminder has to be reset. Does it tell how?
On 11/22/2013 9:06 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Wondered if this would come up in thread. Happened to a friend of mine who changed his own oil but indicator came up. He had to ask the dealer how to reset it. It was not intuitive and probably built into the cars computer system.
Also, as note to op or anyone else, if you do your own work, keep a log and receipts in case you need warranty work which could be rejected if proper maintenance schedule was not kept to.

Yes.
pssst...there's an index in the document I linked to.
On 11-22-2013, 13:04, herb white wrote:

If you are unable to recognize them, perhaps tampering with them would be unwise.
--
Wes Groleau

“In the field of language teaching, Method A is the logical
On Fri, 22 Nov 2013 10:04:59 -0800 (PST), herb white
Last time this mattered for me, maybe 30 years ago, the owner of a car still under warranty had to keep a record of oil changes done, so if the engine needed warranty-paid service, he could prove he'd changed the oil as often as they require.
That doesn't mean the dealer has to do it -- any shop can do it, if they give you a dated receipt referring to the car in question on letterhead paper. But I'm not sure it's enough for you to just have a receipt for the oil from Pep Boys. That doesn't prove you changed the oil on this particular car. It doesn't even prove you used the oil or the filter. .
Better read your warranty before you trash the warranty.
On Fri, 22 Nov 2013 10:04:59 -0800 (PST), herb white
Here's my 2cents and I do almost all my own oil changes on my old vehicles...... Unless the dealer charges an arm and a leg just take it to the dealer while its in warranty. The owners manual for my PT, for example, calls for oil changes every 6000 miles or 6 months. The dealer, of course, would like to have you do them every 3000/3 but there's no need to. If they were ever to challenge you just say that you read the manual and your driving fits the usage profile for 6000/6 mile changes. Don't argue with them about your driving style, just say you never drive it hard or in dusty conditions. They are not likely to care anyway. So you are only looking at 2 oil changes a year if you are anywhere near a typical driver. For me, I usually have a coupon for a $20 change so it doesn't even cost me more the what I'd pay for the oil and filter to do it myself plus the dealer does an inspection and has found stuff and fixed it under warranty that I didn't even know was wrong. I'm also letting the dealer do the 30K and such service like changing plugs and wires as called for. It's also pretty cheap.
By always taking it to the dealer you also have a permanent record of the services should a major problem develop. A lot better then pulling out your shoe box of receipts to prove you've been changing the oil and antifreeze if you get into a dispute.
Another thing you may not have noticed if you didn't read the fine print in the manual and you plan to keep the vehicle for a long time is that if it's like mine with the very long warranty on the power train, there's a required inspection around 60K or so that you MUST have the dealer do to maintain the warranty.

I'd use the dealer if he was closer. An oil change is usually about 1 1/2 to 2 hours door to door. I have a local guy I've been using for about 20 years that is the same price. He is five minutes from work so it is about 30 minutes door to door. Cost about the same for both.
Ashton Crusher wrote:

Hi, I just take it to dealer when maintenance reminder code appears. Oil change reminder comes depending how I drive, weather condition, terrain, etc. Some times it comes on at 5 months, some times at even 10 month. Oil change costs 75.00 using OEM 5W-20 oil and filter plus general look over underneath, check tires, etc. And car wash and interior vacuuming. But there are crooked dealers too. Mine is family owned. The guy who started the dealership dies few years ago, now his wife and daughter is running the business. Very dependable, trust worthy outfit. Acura and wife's is Subaru also family owned long serving outfit.
...snip....

$75 dollars will get me 3 car washes, 3 oil changes and a discount on gas when purchased together. All other fluids and tire air are topped off.
Vacuuming is something I do on my own. While I'm at it I wash the inside of the windows, clean the dashboard and perform other general cleaning.
On 11/24/2013 10:18 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Sure, for most of us, but not at an Acura dealership. Or Lexus, Infiniti, . . .

Anyone that is paying around $ 40,000 or more for a car should not have to worry about changing their own oil or the price for it being done.
Seems that often dealers of the higher priced cars charge more for the same parts and service of lesser priced cars. Goe to one of the independant or oil change special places and they are much less for the same oil and filters.
On 11/24/2013 2:23 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Maybe they don't have to worry about the cost but it is unfair to charge more just because they have more. Do you think it would be OK for supermarkets to have a surcharge depending on your income?

I did not mean they should charge more, just that they seem to. You are free to take your high dollar car to the cheaper places.
Just as around this area there are supermarkets that charge higher ammounts for name brand items, and there are some around here that seem to stock mostly gerneic or non brand items. Same for drug stores, you can pay a lot more for a name brand or less for the generic drugs.
Too bad the doctors do not post the prices of standard operations. Say so much for a gall bladder removal or a dentist posting filling prices.