Off Topic .... The Olympic closing ceremonies

Completely off topic I know but just admiring the various technicalities and timing control involved in the closing ceremonies of the 2008 Olympic games in Beijing! Sort of interesting to any 'do it your selfer' to wonder how the various effects achieved!

Yes, yes, I know got a dozen thing to do and it's a nice day, again, outside, but hard to not watch this most impressive and international event.

Started watching quite by chance after flipping on the TV around 9.00 AM local time, that's about 7.30 AM Eastern time. Been watching now, live, on various Canadian Channels. In both English and French for over 90 minutes. But not on any of the US channels we also receive?

Wow! Right now it's at the stage of introducing the next city to host the games; London.

Also belatedly recalling seeing some events of the 1948 London Olympics on black-white British TV back then, as a teenager! Quite an achievement for Britain to host that first post-war Olympics in a ravaged, bombed out and heavily rationed post-war Europe; only three years after the end of hostilities.

By contrast when I first went away from home, to work in 1953, I took my Rationing Book which my lodgings landlady would use to buy certain foods etc. And THAT was eight years after the end of the war.

Also a post script": A genuine thank you USA for all the support for Britain even before Pearl Harbour!

Ah; nostalgia! ................................... Let's hope 'never again'.

Reply to
terry

Olympics is some kind of sports gathering, right?

Reply to
HeyBub

Sports -- that's where a bunch of guys stand in a field and play with their balls, right?

Reply to
SteveBell

Yes, and there's only ONE form of 'sports' that require TWO balls. And that is MOTOR sports.

Steve Barker DLT

Is that why Obama said (inter alia) to a NASCAR gathering: "We can't keep going in the same direction"?

Reply to
HeyBub