Off Topic: Sign this petition if you're sick of high gas prices (Drill Here. Drill Now. Pay Less)

Page 2 of 2
You can drill in ANWR, off the coast of Miami Beach, and in my front yard, as long as the fat asses with the "Support our Troops" bumper stickers on their SUVs are forced to give them up.
A complete bunch of hypocrites.

So anything can be done as long as those you don't agree with are somehow punished ahead of time? And you call THEM hypocrites.

"Punished" is giving up your SUV???
What a supreme sacrifice.
Well, gotta go weed the victory garden. Keep em flying.
Buck Turgidson wrote:

Give up our troops? Taliban pig!

Nothing wrong with hypocrisy. 85% of gynocologists are men.

Yea but 100% of them are gender prejudice. No male patients.

Except when they are the ones treating infertility. Then they tend to work with both (much to the chagrine of the urologists).

Ahhh yes. My ignorance in this arena glows brightly.

No big deal. I just happen to be writing an article on infertility right now and am catching heck about the incompetence in the area of the OBs from urologists and vice versa. A lot of "If all you have is a hammer, everything not only begins to look like a nail, but you have to rather vehemently proclaim that screws don't really exist" on both sides (g).
Kurt Ullman wrote:

You're absolutely correct: in many cases it's the lack of sufficient screwing that contributes to infertility.

Brings to mind Occam's Razor.
On 7/4/2008 10:46 AM HeyBub spake thus:

Sure you don't mean insufficient *nailing*?

Considering the time it takes to get a new well on line, it is not going to help much or help any time soon. In the ten or more years it will take, the landscape is likely to be far different.
So what to do. Well we are starting to do it. People are feeling the pinch and are starting to conserve. There are few people who can't cut their energy use both in the short term and long term.
Nothing new, the same things we use to do before cheap oil and two SUVs in every garage. Consolidate trips shopping or visiting and consider car pools. Take public transit where available. Turn down the heat or A/C Turn off those unneeded lights like you dad told you when you were a kid. Shorter showers. The list is long, but easy to do.
In the long term (ten years is a long term) get rid of those oversized cars, get a job close to home or a home close to work and shopping. Push for laws allowing more dense housing and jobs, shoppin and homes closer to each other.
Don't profit the oil companies and car industry, Conserving benefits you. Do it for yourself.
snipped-for-privacy@columbus.rr.com wrote:

True. The agitation for drilling in ANWR started during the first years of the Clinton administration, some 15 years ago.
The resistance then - which continues 'til this day - contributed to the mess we're in today.
Some great worth once said: (paraphrasing) "It is not your duty to complete the goal; but it is not your right to delay beginning the task."

And the big pools off shore such as parts of the Gulf of Mexico have been off-limits even longer.

That's not any reason to not drill now.

and if we had drilled back then,we would be having that oil now.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Considering the time it takes to get a new well on line, it is not going to help much or help any time soon. In the ten or more years it will take, the landscape is likely to be far different.
The fact remains that the bit of oil they will get from trashing the environment of pristine places will make NO significant difference in prices.
And then there are the hundreds of thousands of acres of oil leases that are stockpiled for future profits. Why not develop those first? I wonder?
And maybe outlaw the exportation of alaska oil.(Again)

Maybe, in which case the evil oil companies will have spent all that money for naught. It also could be far different in that the oil is needed even more. As I mentioned earlier, the same things have been said for more than the 15 years it would have taken to bring the fields on line. So why continue to institutiionalize short sightedness?