off topic computer question

Page 2 of 2
On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 13:10:26 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Which is why it is quite safe to assume that his hard drive is much faster than his USB drive, even without seeing his computer. <G>
Add pictures here
✖

I don't have to see your system to know that the hard drive is faster than the USB interface.
Add pictures here
✖
Simply no clue. The drives, he got off the internet, I'm guessing.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

From what you've said, the dude has a bigger problem. He is not making backups. If he were, you could backup one machine and restore to another. The solution with to get an external hard drive and copy everything to it. The pick and choose what you want to move between computers after everything is on the external drive.
However, putting in a small (cheap) network is a better idea in the long run but doesn't address the backup issue.
Add pictures here
✖
Oh, that opens up a heck of an idea. I wonder if he could get a free trial Carbonite account. Load everything up. And then load it to the other computer. Send me the log and pass. I can then load up to the Carbonite a lot of stuff, and then make a backup of his stuff.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Or better yet, use the paid carbonite. Upload all of his stuff. Get his id and pass. Then use it yourself with his payment to you for helping him being that he just paid for a year of carbonite. if I refer you I get a free month or something like that.
It's a little slow on the upload, so a small network and a NAS might be a better solution for him as primary backup.
Add pictures here
✖

slower upload speeds. Just network the two machines together and be done with it.
Add pictures here
✖
If both computers have network cards, use what's called a crossover cable. this will eliminate the need for the router someone mentioned Be sure both computers are set to the same workgroup and both have file sharing enabled
Add pictures here
✖

folder has to be listed somewhere? I've never done this, but I think I read that somewhere?
As to USB2, wouldn't having a faster USB port also speed up the flashdrive? Even if it doesn't, I don't assume he's moving the whole system and I don't see a problem using the flash drive. When I had dial up, while webpages downloaded, I read my email and my newsgroups.
He can get an 8 gig flashdrive, or a 4 or 2 but the big one isn't that much more money. They may have 16 by now, or greater. Soon 8 will be the smallest and they'll be giving 4 away as premiums. Ilike my sanza flashdrive with U2, I think it is, because data and qualified programs can both reside on it, and all I have to do is plug it into any XP or higher USB port and I can run my programs with my flashdrive without bothering their hard drive. Plus there is plenty room for other storage.
Add pictures here
✖

Just right click on the folder you want, select sharing and share it I just have one called backup on my server machine and drag every thing into it I want to backup from other machines. That is on a RAIDed pair of drives (mirrored)
Add pictures here
✖
mm wrote:

On a machine containing stuff you want others to use, you announce to the network what "resource" you will share with others. You give that resource a name by which it will be known to the network. That resource could be a printer or a disk folder (directory).
For example, if you want others to be able to view your "C:\\BadFarmGirlsAndGoats" folder, you right-click the "BadFarmGirlsAndGoats" folder name, pick the "Properties" option, then select the "Sharing" tab. This allows you to assign a network name (i.e., "DailyPrayers") to this folder and set a couple of other options.
Thereafter, other users on the network have the capability of adding access to this shared resource to their own machines. On these other machines, you'll use the "Map Network Drive" function.
Add pictures here
✖
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Most folks used to us Lap-Link for the purpose but it's so easy now with what's already there. Small network switch or cross over cable will do the trick. Google "how to share files on win computers", there is so much available on The Internet now that I can't get most folks to pay me to set it up for them, DARN!
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 28, 8:33 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

Spring for a bigger flash drive... or something.
Your task should take only a few minutes.
A DVD burns in just a few minutes. -----
- gpsman
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 20:33:41 -0400, against all advice, something
to say:

He wants a crossover cable plugged into the network ports, and the hard drives set up for sharing.

No.
Not only no, but hell no.
--

Don\'t worry about people stealing an idea. If it\'s original, you will
have to ram it down their throats.

Temporarily install the "source" drive into the computer he is moving the files TO.
Add pictures here
✖
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Did he buy the flash drive at harbor freight? I know lots of folks think if it looks the same it must be the same but there is a huge difference in speeds of flash drives. It becomes very, very evident when you are dealing with lots of data.
Suppose he takes a USB cable, from one computer to the

Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 20:33:41 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

A hub will do the job. It can be Ethernet or USB. Both machines need to set up a shared folder and Vista has some security options you may need to change for it to be visible on the local LAN. If there only a couple files, a flash drive is the way to go. There may be a crossover cable that can be used for two computers, instead of a hub. A USB cable can supply a few watts of power, not enough to power a typical PC.
Add pictures here
✖