Digital TV on a computer ( off topic I suppose)

Please forgive me for this. I did ask on the proper newsgroup but I made a spelling error and some thought it was funny enough to comment on that rather than offer help. I know people here are generally nicer.

I run my main TV from a digibox attached to an indoor aerial. I have always supposed we have a pretty strong signal because we get all the digital channels quite easily.

I bought a singing and dancing computer which is supposed to run digital and analogue TV from an aerial socket. I have this in a different room . I am not technical I dont know how it works. It came with a stick thing aerial. I plugged it in and picked up 23 channels. Then suddenly they disappeared - or rather they were all blank, happened over night.

Since then I have been trying all things to get the channels back ( swing aerial etc) and have even put a larger indoor aerial on the computer to see if that works. To date I have only managed to get a noisy analogue picture with a UHF aerial on three channels and no joy at all on digital.

If I got a new aerial ( bigger one with a booster or whatever) might this fix the problem or does this all singing monster have to be sent packing back to its makers?

Any advice on this? Any experience of this?

Reply to
Someone

Just try uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers for the "stick thing"

Hope that helps,

John.

Reply to
John

Something is obviously amiss if you are picking up only 23 channels. That room is a bad location for your aerial, possible that the aerial in the other room is better placed to get a decent signal.

Get a two output aerial amplifier like the link and some CT100 'satellite quality' cable, and aerial plugs.

Screwfix probably are a good source as well (haven't checked!)

The purpose of this amplifier would be to boost whatever signal you receive from your indoor antenna, and split it to supply your two set-top boxes - also overcoming the noisey interference that PCs radiate and whatever detrimental effect that the length of the cable may make (though probably not much). Keep the aerial cable tied away from the two cables leaving the amplifier.

A 'better' solution would be a distributed setup using a roof or loft aerial, but more expensive - and come digital switchover (with increased signal available) probabaly unnecessary in your already strong location as you have described.

-- Adrian C

Reply to
Adrian C

The most obvious thing to do is take the aerial from your main TV and plug it into the computer. Basically, the signal strength depends on the size/shape of aerial (all other things being equal) and the "stick" aerials that come with PC tuners pick up less signal than a wet string.

If your aerial works on the PC, then just buy another one the same from Argos and be happy. If your TV aerial doesn't work on the PC (after you've tried moving it around, holding it high up, etc) there must be an obstruction blocking the signal if the same aerial works elsewhere in your home (or the tuner in your PC isn't very good). You'd then need to look at running a cable to a remote aerial, or use a booster, or both. The best place would be on the roof, of course, but you might as well just run the cable to your main TV aerial and buy a distribution amp from e.g. Argos for about £20:

$cip/49573/Trail/C%24cip%3D49573.htmAntony

Reply to
Antony Jones

Daft question I suppose. Is it possible to use an outdoor aerial indoors? Could I set it up in the sitting room for example instead of on the roof? Since I live in a bungalow the roof isnt exactly sky high above me to get a better signal is it?

Reply to
Someone

Yes and it doubles as a clothes airer.

Reply to
Max Demian

You can do. It will, if it is a half decent aerial, seem a lot larger and much more cumbersome (and ugly) once indoors than it would on the chimney or gable!

The aerial should really be mounted outside in the clear. All yagi type aerials suffer from being mounted near to other conducting objects and you moving around in the room.

Also at ground level there will be many reflected signals so lining the aerial up accurately on the transmitter could end up as a game of chasing your tail.

It might work but you would probably be best putting it outside.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I'm sorry you were put off when you posted in uk.tech.digital-tv. As you must have discovered if you've been using the newsgroups for anytime there are some people who think it funny to post idiot comments!

Best to just ignore them, they feed on replies to them.

I've read the thread and you've got more than enough information from some well respected and knowledgeable people.

I know it's difficult to understand the information if you know nothing at all about such matters. It's also difficult to find a way of giving you what you want to know!

There was a suggestion to try the PC & PC card in the room with the decent aerial. Have you tried that yet? This would show the capabilities of the PC card!

You say you get noisy analogue pictures. This could well indicate that there is not a high enough level signal available. All that any amplifier will give you in this situation is a noisier picture. They only amplify what's there. They cannot put back what's not there!

I read somewhere that the relevant government dept. is saying that restriction on outdoor aerials will be outlawed, though I can't find that reference.

This sounds like your only solution, unfortunately.

Sorry not to be of more help!

Reply to
Dickie Mint

It would probably help if you found out where the signal is coming from so you can determine whether it has an 'easy path' to the aerial. (ie through window ) (look at nearby aerials)

Reply to
Turkey Cough

There are no aerials . No one has a roof top aerial in the area, they are not allowed. so it has to be pretty much guess work based on my own indoor aerial in another room. It would be really good if I did have something to line up with. What I do is point in roughly the direction I know the mast is in. I can see Plymouth clearly from my house on the other side of the valley and have to use that as a location finder for the mast.

Reply to
Someone

You will probaly find his site very useful

(main page)
a map or compass to get the bearings.

Guessing it might be this one

Turkey Cough