Oak face drawer screwed up...I did it all by myself.

Oak face drawer screwed up...I did it all by myself.
It seemed like a good idea at the time. In retrospect, it wasn't.
Have some oak cabinates / drawers.
Had a "splot" of oven cleaner on a drawer. EastOff Oven Cleaner.
Don't ask.
Just a 2 inch diameter blot of oven cleaner with assorted oven crud on he drawer face. Didn't notice it until the next day,
The finish was not lifted, but there waes just the "blot" on the drawer face.
Tried to neutralize with plain white vinegar on a sponge..
No effect.
Tried water wih plain soap pon a sponge.. No effect.
Tried rubbing alcohol on a sponge. No effect.
The pasty "crud" from the oven spray was still there.
Soaked Fine ought (#00000) steel wool in white vinegar, rubbed on face of drawer.
That removed all the oven cleaner crud.
Left a really ugly black residue in the circle where I riubbed the steel wool. Its a black crud from the steel wool.
I raelly need to get rid of the steel wool crud.
Figured before I dug this hole ant deeper, i'd better ask for advice.
Thanks.
--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
Jim McLaughlin wrote:

You should've used just 0000 sand paper.
Tony Hwang wrote:

Well, you dumb shit git, there is no "0000" sandpaper. The finer the grit for sandpaper the LARGER the number. Exactly th opposite of steel wool, where the SMALLER the number, he finer the wool. Your suggestion aout what I should hav done is assinine, and also non responsive, since requested not second guessing -- at which you are a master of misinformation -- but suggestions about reair.
You should ask this question over at "rec.woodworking". Someone over there will likely be able to help.

Tony Hwang wrote:

Well, you dumb shit git, there is no "0000" sandpaper. The finer the grit for sandpaper the LARGER the number. Exactly th opposite of steel wool, where the SMALLER the number, he finer the wool. Your suggestion aout what I should hav done is assinine, and also non responsive, since requested not second guessing -- at which you are a master of misinformation -- but suggestions about reair.
Boy, that was a mature response....
Jim McLaughlin wrote:

Jim McLaughlin writes:

Sounds like metal oxide from the steel. Barkeeper's Friend (oxalic acid) or CLR (various acids) and light scrubbing should take that out.
Tannins in oak and some other woods turn black when confronted with steel and moisture. The stain is reversable with Oxalic Acid. Don't breath the acid dust. Ask www.refinishwizard.com forum and support the question with pictures if possible. I have the acid in a package labeled Wood Bleach bought at a paint store.
On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 22:42:06 -0700, "Jim McLaughlin" <jim.mclaughlin> wrote:

Jim McLaughlin wrote:

many "experiments" on the drawer, a couple more won't hurt. I think you mixed up some iron oxide .. try rust remover? Probably time to sand the drawer down to clean wood and try to finish it close to other cabinets.