'nother plumbing question - strapping pipes

I need to strap up some loose pipes... bought a handful of pipe straps at the local Big Box today, but here's the question - how do I secure them? I was thinking, since I'm strapping up copper pipes with copper straps, shouldn't I use copper nails or screws to prevent galvanic corrosion? Is this common practice, or are regular zinc plated steel nails and/or screws OK? I could have sworn I'd seen copper nails in the past but couldn't find them today.

I also ask because there's obviously loose straps in my basement where it appears that steel nails were driven directly into cinder block and the nails have now disintegrated, would it be OK to use plastic anchors and SS screws there, or are copper screws available/advisable? (don't recall seeing those...)

Yes, I am apparently taking the DIY home-study course in plumbing this winter.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Yes, you should use copper nails with copper straps and they're available at any real building supply yard or quality hardware store.

I'm not sure if you're talking about the copper plumber's tape - the strapping tape that comes in a roll and has holes all along it, or the individual 6" or 12" straps that have screws to clamp on to the pipe, but if it's the latter be aware that the 'copper' straps that are sold at the big box stores are often copper plated steel and have nasty little projections that won't keep their copper plating as the copper expands and contracts with changes in temperature over time.

RicodJour

for practical purposes the galvanized screws will likely last longer than you do, and straps are easy to replace.....

screws wouldnt effect pipe since they will never be in contact

Reply to
hallerb

on 12/17/2007 10:16 PM Nate Nagel said the following:

I bought mine from an Ace franchise hardware/lumber yard two years ago. Have you tried the borgs? They look like roofing nails, but solid copper.

Reply to
willshak

If you're talking about the individual two hole straps, the last time I bought a box of them at my plumbing supply place, they came with a bag of copper nails to match the straps. This was a box of 100, since I always by in larger packages and use the excess to stock my plumbing kit for future projects.

Reply to
Pete C.

I'm actually talking about the little straps that hold the pipe to a wall etc... I did get them at the "big box" and they are pure copper - or at least I am able to shave them with my pocketknife and they don't stick to my magnetic socket holder.

I actually do need some of the copper tape and I seem to be unable to find that locally - all I can get is galvanized. Is this a big deal? I guess I might have to order from McMaster-Carr again although I do try to buy locally when I can. I'm also in need of a 1-1/4" deep socket and can't get that either.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

all right... I swear that I've seen copper perforated hanging tape in the past but it does not appear to exist anymore even online... what gives? I found a very few sources for copper clad steel and that is about as close as I could get.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel