Non-auto circuit breaker

Sure, because the sellers were willing to work with you. What you got didn't come from Ebay. The "buyer protection" says something like:

If you buy a book and they send nothing, you'll get your money back If you buy a book, and they send you a crappy book, you're SOL If you buy a book and they send you a doll, you are guaranteed price paid plus original shipping, once you send the doll back. Why should you have to pay for return shipping for the sellers mistake?

Then when you amplify this non protection system, you get a scenario like one I had: Through Ebay, I asked a seller if an implement would fit my skid steer. His reply, "yes it will". (Note: these are new, the seller is a fabricator) I buy the implement , pay for it plus shipping $420. I receive it, and it's not even close to the mount of my machine. I contact him, through Ebay to correct the situation and I'm ignored. I file with Ebay through "buyer protection system". Seller contacts me, offers to pick up implement and refund me or pick up implement and deliver one that fits my machine. I choose getting an implement that fits my machine. Seller neither picks up or delivers promised implement as offered. I go to stage 2 through "Ebay buyer protection", and half an hour later they email me. They've reviewed my claim and rule in my favor. Just send the item back to the seller, and I'll get my $420 back. After about an hour I finally got a human from Ebay on the phone to explain that shipping a 500 pound implement 1000 miles will cost me $400, and to explain to me,why there is no burden on the seller to pay for his mistake. Totally fruitless effort, I may as well been talking to a rock. "That's our policy", and stop yelling at me or I'll disconnect.

Reply to
RBM

Seems like the real issue here is the shipping cost, which is a valid point. You are pretty much always out the shipping, probably both ways if they seller sends you something. And that's why I avoid sellers that have shipping costs that are way high and totally out of line. Not only does it mean you would be out the shipping, but it points to the seller being dishonest. I believe charging higher than true shipping costs is against ebay policy, but I don't see them doing anything to enforce it. You can find loads of sellers where the item is $2, small and the shipping is $8. The seller is making most of their money in that case off the shipping.

Most times the shipping isn't a big issue, but with a 500lb widget, it is.

On the other hand, I have had problems where the seller refunded not only the item cost, but also the shipping. Case in point, I bought a used tire for my Porsche from a guy that shipped it from TX to NJ. Upon mounting, it had a leak. He refunded the cost plus shipping and told me to keep the tire. I later got another one and it was fine.

Reply to
trader4

He doesn't have to say he tested it for you to have a valid claim. The description says that it is "fully functional" and since it is faulty, it is NOT. If it were me, I would contact the seller and ask for a refund, just so they don't get one over on me. Even if it costs $6 to ship it back, you still wind up $6 better off than you are now. That assumes of course they actually refund you the money, which if they have good feedback they very likely will. Also, I have had cases where the seller refunded shipping too. And cases where the seller refunded my money and told me to keep the item.

Reply to
trader4

de quoted text -

Part if that is because ebay charges a percentage of the sale price but nothing out of the shipping. So if you sell an item for 2 with 8 shipping and it really costs you 2 to ship you don't have to pay ebay a percentage of the 6 you made. Since shipping is really shipping AND handling ebay has a hard time proving one way or another that you don't have 6 in "handling" costs. If you buy in bulk isn't all the costs of inventory, preparing orders, etc handling? Some poeple say it is. They can only enforce the rule when it is blatantly obvious like 10 for a diamond ring, 200 for shipping.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Hmmm, Way back some guy used to sll guranteed coat hook ++ Jack nail! There are guys who play with words and guys like you who fall for it.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

[...]

Truth is, most of the folks I've dealt with are just like your tire guy, they really have every intention to do the right thing. I even think, in my case, the seller wanted to do the right thing, but it would have cost him too much so he just blew me off.

Now the good part, and the moral of the story. Couple of weeks after this incident, I'm getting tired of looking at this 5 foot bucket in my driveway, so I figure I'll try to sell it on Craigslist, then this notion pops into my head. I paid for this thing through Paypal, using my Visa card. I wonder if I have any protection through Visa. Sure enough, Visa has a whole pile of "chargeback codes". Google Visa chargeback code 53. All I needed was documentation that the item wasn't as described, which I have through Ebay questions and answers from seller, and within 10 days, $420 went back into my account. The only recourse the seller has is to refute, in writing, every point that I've made, which in this case, they can't. Paypal, like Ebay is a toothless dog. They sort of pretend to try to help the seller out in having the chargeback reversed, but they have no power, or authority, and within a week, they dismissed it altogether.

Because I am honest, I contacted the seller and offered to have him re-list the bucket and have it shipped to the winner from my address, but I never heard from him again. So, buy with a Visa, and always get documentation on what you're buying

Reply to
RBM

It was a $6 item, with $6 shipping. It will cost me $6 to ship it back.

If the seller doesn't refund the shipping (most don't), I end up spending $6 to get $6 back, plus the pleasure of going to the Post Office.

It's in the trash, and the box is in the recycle bin.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken