No water coming from laundry room lines??

We used our machine a couple days ago. Worked fine. Today we went to wash a load of clothes and the washer gave us a NF (NO FILL) error. WE removed the hoses and checked them, they are fine. We turned the water back on with no hose attached and no water came out. Does this sound like a plumbing problem or washer problem? If this is plumbing what would cause the lines to clog or freeze when all other lines in the house are working fine?
Thanks!!!
garynmisty wrote:

If it's real cold where you are, they could easily have frozen if the lines run someplace where cold air could leak in.
Play detetctive and follow the lines back to their source (if that's possible).
If it *is* a freeze problem, you want to know because pipes may have burst and a thaw will flood you out...
Jim

If water comes out of the plumbing, it is a washer problem, most likely the fill valves did not open. Could be the valves, could be the timer that sends the signal for them to open.
Get a meter so you can see if the valves are getting electric when it should be filling. You can find more information at www.applianceaid.com and www.repairclinic.com

He SAID there is no water coming out of the valves. He probably has frozen pipes.

The problem is not with the washer. He says he pulled the hoses and turned the water on. Nothing came out.
Harry K

Right, I mis-read that. OTOH, if no water comes out of the line and you can't figure out if it is the plumbing or the washer, you should not be messing with it.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I agree, sometimes "Fools rush in where angels dare to tread", but the OP was only asking for advice on where the problem was likely to be located.
It would have been unproductive for him/her to call an appliance repair guy in and have to pay for the service call to be told it was frozen pipes.
If the OP is still following this thread, it's a plumber of GOOD handyman you should be seeking if you're still stumped.
Good luck,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

I agree with Edwin that anyone who can't figure that out on his own shouldn't be messing with it.

Could be quite productive in one respect: paying "Idiot Tax" in that manner might encourage him to think a bit the next time something goes wrong. I mean, come on! No water comes out even when the washer is disconnected, and the guy wonders if the washer might have anything to do with the problem!?
garynmisty snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

It was a lot warmer "a couple days ago" than it is now, right?

Think about it...
No water comes out, even when the washer is disconnected. Why is it, exactly, that you think the problem might be with the WASHER??????

That one pipe isn't in the same place as "all the other lines". Right?
Odds are, you have a frozen pipe. And I think you ought to call a plumber to find it and thaw it for you. You don't appear to have the problem-solving skills needed to diagnose and fix this on your own.
On 4 Feb 2007 19:40:54 -0800, "garynmisty"

Do you have any areas where the piping runs that is potentially cold enough to freeze?
tom @ www.FreelancingProjects.com

If the water line is not a quick disconnect fitting , you should be getting water when the washer hose is disconnected .
That means there is a problem elsewhere. You need to follow the water pipes back to the meter and see if there is a frozen spot. Assuming you have had very cold weather overnight.
If the hot water isnt working either , it may make it easier since the hot water line will run back to the water heater.
Watch for any water sounds or leaks since you may have a broken pipe somewhere.
Don't forget that some new washer installations include an electric solenoid that shuts the water off (upstream of the hoses) unless the washer is drawing an electrical current. If the washer plugs into a box instead of directly into a wall outlet, then the box may be contributing to the issue.