Newbie plumbing question: sillcock install

How do i connect up an exterior sillcock, it is abou 8" long and has a male threaded end. Inside the wall it is just a copper pipe that runs perpendicularly towards the exterior wall. Do I cut the pipe and buy some sort of adapter? Will there be a problem with the dissimilar metals? My pipe is copper (i think) and the sillcock is a shiny chrome type finish. Do I then solder this? If I have to cut the pipe, is there an easy way without full access all the way around the pipe? The pipe is along a wall and I've only got access from one side. Any advice? Thanks.
snipped-for-privacy@home.invalid wrote:

Get a mini tubing cutter like: http://doityourself.com/store/6964324.htm You can pull the copper away from the wall enough to use it.
Yes, you need an adapter. One end will solder to the copper pipe. Assume the pipe is 1/2" trade size (5/8" O.D.).
The other end of the adapter will have female thread for the sillcock to screw into. Sounds like a "frost-free" type. Many of those have 3/4" male pipe threads. Bring the sill cock to the store to be sure you get the correct adapter.
You can get adapters in either straight or 90 deg style for whatever fits your layout: http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/52-332-copper-adaptors.aspx http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/52-332-copper-elbows-and-tees/1-2-x-3-4-cxf-90-degree-elbow-cast--634989.aspx Jim
snipped-for-privacy@home.invalid wrote:

Most of the frost-proof sillcocks I've seen are visibly threaded but 1/2" copper fits inside. You can go either way depending on your preference.
"Most of the frost-proof sillcocks I've seen are visibly threaded but 1/2" copper fits inside. You can go either way depending on your preference. "
I agree. The ones I've seen have male pipe threads but also are made so 1/2 inch copper pipe will fit inside for a solder joint, so you can go either way. If you go with the pipe threads, then you need an adapter which is female threads on one end, solder on the other.
Thanks for your replies. I'll attempt this over the weekend. I'll try the mini cutter, if not I think a very small hacksaw can get at it. Is there such a thing i can get?
Thanks
--
XBRG

snipped-for-privacy@home.invalid wrote:

The frostproof sillcocks work with both 1/2" copper and threaded connections straight out of the box. This is almost certainly what you have, right? http://www.usahardware.com/inet/shop/item/80540/icn/20-199349/ldr_industries/0206508.htm
There's no need to cut it and cutting it will almost certainly turn it into a paperweight as the valve seat is all the way at the back of the sillcock near the threaded end you want to cut off.
It's possible you have an older type, but unless you know exactly what you're doing, don't go modifying a valve. If you have one that is only threaded, get an adapter.
"There's no need to cut it and cutting it will almost certainly turn it
into a paperweight as the valve seat is all the way at the back of the sillcock near the threaded end you want to cut off. "
I think he's talking about cutting the 1/2 copper pipe leading up to where the sillcock is going to be installed.

For once I certainly hope I misread that! Thanks.