New Thoughts on basement mildew

You might simply say "I do not understand what you are talking about" and ask a few questions.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Avg daily min 50.5 59.3 67.5 71.7 71.0 65.3 53.7 F

Outdoor air that leaks into the basement in October through May won't condense on the 63.4 F floor. It might in June through September...

If the house is AC'd to 80 F and 55% RH (the most economical corner of ASHRAE-55 2004), with Td = (460+80)/(1-ln(0.55)(460+80)/9621) = 62.5 F and we move air near the basement floor up into the house whenever its RH rises to 60%, the house air that replaces it won't condense in the basement. It will warm the basement floor while providing free coolth for the house :-)

If the house is not air-conditioned, we have at least 5 low-energy dehumidification/cooling strategies: 1) improve house airsealing,

2) fix other basement moisture sources, eg vent unvented clothes dryers, remove firewood stored in the basement, fix gutter leaks and improper grading, and paint floorslabs installed with no vapor barriers, 3) dry out the basement concrete in wintertime by keeping the RH low (this only requires a little warm air from the house), so the concrete can absorb moisture from air leaks in summertime, 4) ventilate the basement with cool dry outdoor air in summertime, on rare occasions when that's possible, and 5) circulate air between the basement and the living space during the day with no ventilation to the outdoors, when the living space requires cooling.

We (not you :-) might tweak these strategies with a TMY2 simulation.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Hell, Nick... Nobody knows what your talking about! ;-) And we are suspicious of the fact that you don't either.

If you can't dazzle them with Brilliance, Baffle them with Bullshit!

Reply to
Don Ocean

This is Turtle.

Nick , Two question here. Nick would you stay in a house at 17ºC and 88% RH ?

If you could lower one of them and live there . Which one would you lower?

If you say you know the hvac business you will know exactly which one you want lower to get by.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Hiya Turtle.

No. Too cold and moldy.

Neither.

Nick

20 CLO = 1'clothing insulation (clo) 30 MET=1.1'metabolic rate (met) 40 WME=0'external work (met) 50 VEL=.1'air velocity 60 PA=0'water vapor pressure 70 DEF FNPS(T)=EXP(16.6536-4030.183/(TA+235))'sat vapor pressure, kPa 80 DATA 62.6,88 90 DATA 71.689,88 100 FOR CASE = 1 TO 2 110 READ TA,RH 120 TA=(TA-32)/1.8 130 TR=TA 140 IF PA=0 THEN PA=RH*10*FNPS(TA)'water vapor pressure, Pa 150 ICL=.155*CLO'clothing resistance (m^2K/W) 160 M=MET*58.15'metabolic rate (W/m^2) 170 W=WME*58.15'external work in (W/m^2) 180 MW=M-W'internal heat production 190 IF ICL
Reply to
nicksanspam

This is Turtle.

NO Nick , you had to stay in this house but which would you lower or raise if you could change just one of them. You can only raise or lower just one of them and not the other. Which one would you raise or lower ?

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE