Mildew/mold in basement behind panel

Another question that I hope someone can answer.
I have a small section in my basement that is covered by a really ugly, 70's era wood paneling. There is a little mildew / mold on it now and I'd like to fix that. How does one go about that? The paneling is ugly enough that I don't mind replacing it with something nicer. How does one go about this? Do I just get someone to tear it down, caulk any leak, and then put something new up? What do you put up in it's place?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
Add image file
Upload is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.