New roof time

It is getting near time for a new roof. I have a medium blown color shingle now. I think I will go with a lighter shade to lower the heat load a bit. Does the color have much of an effect on shingle life? What is a good long lasting brand of fiberglass/asphalt shingle? Do roofers typically charge more for a roof with a steeper slope (45 deg). Thanks

I've been wondering the same thing. I'm going to need a new roof soon but I'm afraid white would show dirt. Here's article about light-colored cooling systems.
http://www.professionalroofing.net/archives/past/oct98/feature.asp
My house has large trees (that shed leaves and stuff) that covers about 1/4 of my roof so I'll have to get a darker colored shingle to keep it clean looking but I'd like to have a white shingled roof.
olddog

lighter colors equal cooler roof with longer life. in areas like phoenix most roofs are white.
add ridge vent, and insulate attic properly for longer life.
in heavy rain freeze areas the membrame replacement for tar paper is a good move
olddog wrote:

I've read that light color roofs have more mold/mildew growth than dark roofs because they don't get as hot. I wish I was up to figuring the benefit in heating costs vs. trying to avoid or clean the crud that grows on a roof :o)

I bet the person(s) who wrote what you read never thought black algae (it's not mold/mildew) is dark and shows up more on a lighter roof!
I don't care what color they are. Summer sun beating on shingles is frikkin' hot. The crud would die on any color if it couldn't take heat.

Most shingles sold these days are "AR" algae resistant. They contain chemicals that algae cannot feed on. There is also a spray that can be applied to retard growths. Don't know effectiveness.
Norminn wrote:

I don't think it's the mold - I think it is simply DIRT. Dirt in the sense of nastiness in the air that settles on everything. Darker roofs just don't show it.
Light colored buildings - such as the marble statutes at St Peter's Basilica - have to be power-washed every so often to clean off the precipitated smog. Maybe the brickwork on your house has a blackish tint? Same thing.
If you live in the country (WAY out in the country) where car exhausts and the like don't pollute the air with solid particulates, maybe a white roof will work. In the city or suburbs, it'll get very visible black deposits. They'll look like streaks downstream of vents and stacks where they don't get as much rain wash-off.
JohnR66 wrote:

GAF has 40 year rated reflective shingles, intended to reduce heat load. Google "GAF cool color". Not cheap though, at least not around here.
--John

I've never seen definitive data on roof color. Summer heat versus winter cold. I do see a lot of light colored roofs with stains though, so drive around and take a look to see how they do in your climate.
Steep roofs do require a bit more skill to work on, but generally not a big deal unless it is a very high roof with a very steep pitch and extra equipment is needed.
JohnR66 wrote:

Before you decide, drive around an look at the lighter-colored roofs in your vicinity.
If they don't look stained, streaked, and just plain disgusting, you might be okay.