New requirement for Electric cars. Straw in the spoke.

When a Prius stops for a rather short time (like at a red light) the gas engine stops.

When it starts moving it is powered by battery-electric motor until the speed gets to a few MPH and the gas engine starts. A Prius is very quiet at slow speed on electric motor only.

Reply to
bud--

And the cake mix that didn't sell, with just add water. They changed the directions to add an egg and water, and sales took right off.

I was cleaning carpet for a restaurant, years ago. Using the unscented detergent. I ran out, and had to use the stinky stuff. The manager came by, and remarked how that stuff really was working. Not sure it really did any better.

.

Sort of reminds me of the old Western Electric company from the early days when they used to make vacuum cleaners. They had an excellent unit, that had more suction than the competition, but couldn't sell them. Why? They were too quiet and the users perceived them to not be as powerful as the noisy competition!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Well, sure. I sorta liked Astro's voice, too.

Reply to
krw

Seat belts were an option on some cars in the early 60's. No one bought them so the car companies may no profit on them. They the government mandated them and the car companies apologized for raising the price of the car and blamed the government for them being able to make a couple of extra bucks.

My '62 Corvair had the bolt holes so you could buy aftermarket belts. IIRC, the attachment system was mandated around that time, belts a couple of years later in 1965. Wisconsin was first in 1961.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

my wife had a ford falcon of that era that had similar mounting plates. Bell Labshad some sort of a deal where we the employees could buy seat belts and then put them in ourselves.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Per HeyBub:

I cannot cite, but somewhere I read a piece where somebody asked how a deceased deaf person died. The answer was to the effect of "They died the same way most deaf people die: hit by a car."

It rang true to me then and now, after being surprised by a few electric cars while riding my bike, it rings even truer.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

The best noise is the sound of the revving motor over a speaker.

Enthusiasts will use more powerful system. Dual stereo pipes.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Glass pack mufflers on the 383s, 390s, and the 396s (CID)from days of yore. Accept no substitutes.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Like the big man's car in the movie "Escape from New York". You always knew when that big Caddy was coming. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

John Carpenter is way over rated as a director. I've never seen one I like.

Reply to
gonjah

That is music! Not like the sound on some rice burners today. God, it is nauseating to hear some of them.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

IN the UK people pay road tax for that.

If they use taxes as teh excuse to clean up the enviorment by including a tax on petrol then if yuo're not using petorl it's not fair to replace that tax by taxing water, toilet paper or anything else is it ?

Reply to
whisky.dave

tax on petrol then if yuo're not using petorl it's not fair to replace tha= t tax by taxing water, toilet paper or anything else is it ?- Hide quoted t= ext -

Who says the taxes on fuel in the USA are used to pay for cleaning up the environment? AFAIK, the federal tax goes straight into the govt hole with all the rest of the revenue. And the state taxes on gasoline are usually used for roads. Here in NJ, that's where the fuel tax goes.

Reply to
trader4