new primer peeling off

Hello. I have a small bathroom that was painted with Glidden Evermore Satin. The paint had been on for a year or so and had no problems. However, the walls beneath had never been textured for some reason. I did some remodeling and replaced a doorway with a wall, so of course there was new drywall there. I figured this would be a good time to have the whole bathroom textured.

The company that did the texturing used drywall mud that had been thinned down (the regular stuff in the 5 gallon bucket) rather than the boxed texture that you add water too. I don't know if that's a problem or not but I just assumed that they knew what they were doing.

After letting the new texture dry overnight, I put on a coat of the Kilz Premium water-based primer. I then let that dry for eight hours with a fan blowing into the bathroom for circulation. I live in Colorado and this being winter means the humidity is very low. After the eight hours, I noticed a few little chunks in the texture that I decided to remove with a razor blade. When I did that I found that the paint was very pliable and would peel off easily. I then tried removing a piece of painters tape that was used to mask the shower tiles and found that it would pull off large pieces of the new paint. I know that you are normally supposed to use a razor blade to trim along the tape; this was just done as a test.

Now I am concerned that I will have to somehow remove all the new primer and start over. I went back to Home Depot where I purchased the paint and they had no idea what was wrong. One person mentioned that there is a special primer that is meant for new drywall and texture. I looked at it and it was only $8 per gallon, compared to the $19 Kilz. I am assuming that the Kilz should do a better job, especially since most of the new texture was applied over the layer of satin rather than just bare drywall.

Any suggestions woudl be appreciated.

Thanks. Bill

Reply to
mcbill20

My guess is you are in too much of a hurry. I don't think you had been allowing enough time between applications. You also may have used materials that were not compatible. Did you read all the labels.

Frankly, I would never intentionally put a texture on a well, but that is a matter of taste. That taste however I believe complicated your problem.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Makes sense.

Nothing wrong with using pre-mixed All-purpose for texture.

Overnight may have been rushing it a bit, but it sounds like it was probably dry from your description.

You don't say what prep was done to the existing paint before it was textured. Did you (or the taper) clean it with TSP or other suitable wall cleaner? If it was cleaned, was it rinsed well? Was the existing paint roughed up with a light sanding? Maybe wiped down with a deglosser?

Is the primer loose on the new drywall, or just the previously painted sections?

Is the texture coming off with the primer?

(snip)

Reply to
Mike Paulsen

Chances are good that the mud wasn't completely dry before you applied the primer, and the moisture from the mud is causing the paint to peel. The mud that comes in buckets takes a while to dry, often 12 hours or more, especially if it's really thick -- like on a textured wall.

The primer that the [...] at HD mentioned is a low-quality primer that is good enough for new drywall but not much else. It is not meant to solve any problems and won't work better than the product you used.

Glidden is not top shelf paint, so to speak, but I've known people to have good results with the primer. Your best bet is to leave the walls alone for a few days and keep the heat on. Perhaps you could even sand the primer down a bit. This may mess up your texture a little bit, but you need to make sure that the mud dries before painting.

As far as your concern about the tape peeling the primer, that happens a lot. Your case was probably amplified a bit, but since your walls are textured, there shouldn't be too much in the way of negative aesthetic effects.

Reply to
TakenEvent

I just purchased 2 gallons of gripper primer from Home Depot to prime newly topcoted plaster,the can say's to wait 3 days before priming.Mabye that's the problem.

Reply to
Saxman