New Home Owner Suggestion

Page 2 of 2
On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 13:52:48 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I find it funny that now you are explaining this to me. Like what the hell do I care. You're so wrapped up in your confrontations in here that you missed the whole point. I think you are a wanna be moron. You think that EE degree makes you something special and in reality all it does is make your BOORING!!! But like all EE's such as yourself, it can be quite entertaining at times. Bubba

And I find it funny how you're so huffed up over my having the Aprilaire 760 humdifier for 10 years, liking it and recommending it that you're now following me around in other threads like a juvenile and making an ass of yourself.
You obviously must care, cause you keep posting crap and taking pot shots. Like entering this thread, huffing and puffing with personal attacks after I simply pointed out that the poster that told the OP he can't sue the builder but must sue his insurance company is wrong. That was simple and correct, yet you chose to attack me over it.
On Dec 10, 9:31 pm, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

How long have you two been married anyway?
On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 19:31:54 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Boo Hoo. It sounds to me like you would like a little cheese with that whine. Grow some balls you little girl. and there is NOTHING simple OR Correct about anything you post. It looks more like you just like to see the alphabet (and lots of it) printed on a white background. Bubba

How do you not archive messages? I found out this used to be wetlands that they built on-that's why I have wet clay 6 feet down.
On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 13:13:52 -0800 (PST), hands on

Yeah, I need another drink too. Bubba

Well the lawyer said I have a good case. Veranda Homes has 7 homes they built without a buyer that they can't sell-they have cracks in the concrete slabs already.

The builder has 7 homes he built with no buyer. I get the feeling he is trying to finish this up so he can fold the company. Many owners are having the same problems. Also problems with water leaks and concrete driveways cracking. Builders like this make them all look bad.Funny thing, I asked for copies of all public records for my house- (like building inspections),asked in person 3 times, phoned 5 times and sent a registered letter last week. I think someone in the town is trying to hide something.

Call the newspaper and ***all*** your local TV news departments NOW. If you're in a small city like mine, they love stuff like this.
Public employees often do better work when faced with embarrassment and humiliation. Television can help with this.
On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 13:15:01 -0800 (PST), hands on

I live in the Mojave Desert. Builders took a beating some years ago, because some homes were actually sinking into the ground. Elevation 2100 feet.
A person I know collected a large sum, made the repairs himself and sold the house.
His lawyer may have been from out of town - not sure. Google house defects +LAS VEGAS +Attorney. (or some such, post 1996)
On Dec 5, 12:01 pm, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

They tested the soil right next to my foundation. They went down 6 feet/ nothing but sand and wet clay. After reaching 6 feet the soil impact tester dropped out of site at 2 spots with no resistance. Time to "lawyer up"
hands,
You probably should seek the advice of a lawyer and check to see if the builder is still in business. Your post is a bit confusing since you claim the house is not able to bear it's specified load but you prove this with soil tests. I suspect that you mean that the foundation has problems. As others have said a house with a bad foundation has little value. You'll need to fix this. With luck the builder will pay.
Dave M.

Have there been foundation failures in your immediate area? Are there any indications that there is settlement? What prompted you to have the soils analyzed 2 1/2 years later? What did the test results indicate is the bearing capacity of your soil?

hands on wrote:

Do you have fire insurance?
Just asking.
HeyBub wrote:

I find this subject fascinating, I am thinking of buying a new home and never thought this a problem. I assumed that this test was run by the builder before construction. I guess I should never assume anything. Other posters suggested fixing the problem and my question is how do you "fix" this problem? The OP sounds like being stuck with a "defective house" means it cannot be repaired. Did the engineer tell you this? Also, what kind of foundation do you have? Full basement, concrete slab, crawlspace?
Inspector,
There are lots of businesses that do foundation repair. The solution to a problem depends on the problem. From the OP's post it sounds as if his home was built on poorly compacted fill dirt, the house is now compacting the fill dirt, and this is happening unevenly thus causing foundation cracks. So someone needs to dig or push down to good, well compacted, soil and pour some piers under the sagging foundation. Not cheap but the house is repairable unless it was actually built in a swamp or someplace without good soil within a reachable depth..
Dave M.
David L. Martel wrote:

Thanks for the info

How do you know? Did someone dig down to the footing and test the soil or did you test the backfill next to the foundation? Are you using information from the lots next to you and not your own? Lou