New Harbor Freight Multifunction Tool

Page 1 of 2

I picked up the one speed model today. While it's simple enough, I don't understand where to use the scraper blade. What can I cut with the large blade? The manual is no help.
There is an extra set of brushes in the box, but the manual does not show how to change them. Presumably they are under the black caps in the sides. How do I know when they need to be changed?

When it stops making noise

Maybe if you posted a link to this tool from the Harbor Fright website, we could all see this tool and be able to help. Yes, brushes go in by those caps.near the rear of all modern power tools that come with the caps. It seems most power tools come with extra brushes now a days, which is good.
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

Is that because they won't be making spare parts when you need them a few years down the line?
Or in this case, is there just no way to get them?

In the case of most of those off brand generic tools, you probably wont be able to get parts. They're throwaway tools. Most of those sold at Harbor Fright are just that. If you want GOOD tools, you'll pay a lot more, but will be able to get parts later on, and they will last longer. On the other hand, brushes for small tools are pretty much all the same, and likely available at motor repair shops and maybe larger hardware stores.
Your average homeowner buys cheap tools, while those in the business buy the good ones. Myself, for tools I use regularly, I have gotten the good ones, but for something I may use once or twice a year I get the cheapies.
Although I have a good name brand plug in angle grinder, I bought a cheap generic one last year at a business that travels around the country selling cheap tools. They do not have an actual store. I bought it just for a spare. (like when I dont want to change the wheel to a wire brush for one minute of use). I paid $13 for it. It ran very slow right from the start, worse yet, it lasted about 13 minutes (literally) before it completely went up in smoke. At a dollar a minute, it was no bargain. It did come with spare brushes though..... Too bad it didnt include a spare motor. I was NOTable to return it, and just tossed it in the garbage.
Since then I bought a Black and Decker one. B&D is not top of the line stuff, but at least I know I can return it and there is a warranty, even if it's not for real long.
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

Buy the cheap tools as loaners.
TDD
Once in a while, I'm trying out a new skill. Not sure if there is the customer base for this or that. Sometimes it's sensible to buy a cheap tool. If I use the tool often enough, I go buy the good tool later after a few jobs.
On the other hand, my 12 volt Drill Master drills are going strong after a couple years.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Exactly the reason I went for the HF Multifunction tool vs a mid or high end unit.

re: "Exactly the reason I went for the HF Multifunction tool"
And at $34.99 with the coupon, that's even more exactly why I'm going with the HF tool.
I love my Dremel, but I'm certainly into trying new things.
(I know it's not a one-to-one comparison)
On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 04:58:09 -0600, The Daring Dufas

Some years ago I was visiting some elderly relatives in another state. The woman had fallen off her concrete porch and was badly injured. Her husband asked me how to install a railing on their porch. I told him I'd go with him to buy one. We bought what was needed, but he did not have a hammer drill, and his small standard drill was not doing the job in the hard concrete. He called a tool rental place and was told it would cost $30 to rent one for one day (minimum one day). I told him we should go back to the home supply store, and price them. I bought an off brand heavy duty hammer drill for $36 and told him I'd split the cost with him. For helping him install the railing, he told me to just keep that drill, and he paid for it. Four or five years later it still works great. Drilling concrete is not something I do often, I have used it more as a regular drill, than using the hammer feature, but for $6 more than the loaner price, I figured it was better to buy it, and I have gotten plenty of use from it. Small tool rental is usually not cost effective. For a few bucks more you can buy them. I only rent large tools, like an earth auger, concrete mixer, or something like that.

The real hardware store near me has a big selection of brushes. I'd just about guarantee it has every size for hand power tools.
I don't think Home Depot or Lowes has any. Ace Hardware probably has a good selection, but I didn't check there.
I went looking because I needed new brushes for my convertible top motor. It had the right size for that too (2.50 a piece) but the woven copper that carried the current was about 1/9th as thick as the original.
HOwever this same real hardware store is cutting back on hardware while increasing its tool rental, all the way up to back hoes. And were it not for that and lawn mower and engine repair, it would probly be out of business.
Baltimore has one very good motor repair shop in the center of town and when the 2nd set of brushes wear out -- and I use most of my tools not enough for that to happen -- I'm sure Electric Motor Repair will have the right size.

-snip-

And if they don't- they have one a tiny bit bigger and a few strokes with a file will fix you right up. BTDT
Jim
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

No need for that. Virtually everybody on this group (as it turns out there may be one exception) knows the tool intimately.

HeyBub wrote:

Lou

Ya gotta get one Lou. Everybody needs to have something around from HF. The Malfunction Tool is like a membership card :-)
Red Green wrote:

LOL
I brought 4 toolboxes to Florida 3+ years ago. Two have never been opened and others hardly used. I do have a fifth "toolbox" which has screwdrivers, pliers etc for household maintenance. I bought a Dremal copy a while back and have yet to use it:-)) BUT I now know where the HF store in Ocala is so may go up during the "yard" sale.
Lou
LouB wrote:

PS I have the little flashlight they give away. It is great:-))
Needs alkaline batteries, and a bit of grease on the tail cap threads. But other than that, yes, it's a great little light.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Don't have one of those. Always forget the coupon when I go. Guess I need it for membership renewal.
I have one of those free flash lights. Worth every penny of it. Some grease on the tail cap threads, and some alkaline batteries. Works great.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus