New granite vanity top discolours when wet?

I just installed a new granite top on my bathroom vanity. The granite is a manly beige coloured variety with brown and black specs in it. I noticed that any water that is left on the surface seems to cause a darker discoloration on the surface. After the surface is dried, it seems to return to normal after a few hours.
I this a normal behaviour for a light coloured granite? What are my options to keep this from happening? I have been searching this forum and have found many opinions on sealing granite. Can anyone comment on whether a granite sealer would help in this situation? If so I am looking for brands I could pick up from either Home depot or my local granite store.
Many thanks,
-Sean
Your granite needs sealing if: water does not bead up on it (as water would bead up on a freshly waxed car). If it is not doing so, the granite (which is porous) is absorbing the water. I suspect that is happening in your case. This is a problem if you were to spill wine on the countertop since it cause a permanent stain.
Contact a local granite supplier to ask for the name of a good sealant.
John Churchill Builder and Instructor at Emory University Author of www.renovation101.com

It sounds like you need to seal it , You only want to seal it about every 6 months or more, When the water no longer beads up on it,then reseal it. If you seal it to often it will become cloudy then you need steal wool.