New Generator will not start

Page 1 of 2

Hi, was hoping you could help or point me in the right direction. I have a coleman powermate 6250w generator that has been sitting in a box for about 4 years, no gas or old was ever put in. Today, we go to fire it up, fill it with oil and fuel, bit it will not start. The plug is new and when holding near the block, we can see spark plus it has plenty of compression. It sounds like it wants to catch, but it won't. Fuel valve is on and I can smell gas like it is getting flooded. Any suggestions or anything we might have missed? Thanks!
WendyC88 wrote:

I would try removing the plug, dump in a little gas, replace the plug and see if it fires. If it does, you may have a stuck carburetor float
WendyC88 wrote:

It has both a fuel shut-off valve (which must be turned) AND an electrical switch that you have to flip.
The switch on mine is close to the fuel shut-off valve.
In your case, I suspect the switch is the culprit.

Thanks both. Neighbor came over and said something about fuel inlet in the carb has crystallized or something from non-use. Left over gas from the manufacturer test. He sprayed a little carb cleaner in the choke and it fired right up. Only weird now is it runs great, but won't run if the choke is turn from choke to run. I conks out.
On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 17:51:47 -0400, "WendyC88"
start:

My guess is that the fuel outlet orifice is still a bit clogged. Try some more carb cleaner, let the cleaner set a while, then start up and let it run a while.

Liberal use of carb cleaner will help, also, if you run it with some carb cleaner in the gasoline for a while that will also soften up the clog. Just keep running it with the choke closed, and gradually open the choke, every 5 or 10 minutes, until it will run with the choke open.
Be sure to use Stabil in the gasoline when you put the generator away, and either keep the gas tank filled and use Stabil, or run it until the gasoline runs out. If you do the latter, as the gasoline gets low you will need to start closing the choke until it is fully closed and the generator stops. That way you have drained enough gasoline out of the system that it should not clog again. But, you must be sure that all gasoline is gone from the tank. If there are some irregularities in the bottom of the gas tank, even after it stops running, If you should accidently move the generator, some of that gas can get into the carburetor and clog it. So, as it gets low on gas, move the generator around a bit to get ALL of the gas out of the tank and into the carburetor.
Bob Hofmann

It should not be clogged, He DID say that it was new in the box with NO OIL AND NO GAS in it. How the hell can it be clogged? Malfunctioning maybe. Defective possible. People should learn how to read before answering.
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

If it wont run with choke off, it isnt New because carb is clogged. Machines are test run before being sold. His carb needs a cleaning.

There is always some gas in the lines with new engines and the bowl will be full initially.
I seriously doubt that the manufacturers leave gas in, for shipping. The carb gasket is my best guess, from here.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Doesn't really matter what you doubt; that is the case. They are pre-run before shipment by hooking a line up to the carb's fuel input, started, and allowed to run a few seconds, not enough to empty the bowl, and shipped. All you have to do is check on ANY freshly delivered item with a gas powered engine. I even had one lawn tractor that actually started while I was testing the battery connections of the battery I'd just put in. I figured I'd turn it over a couple times to be sure hte battery was up to charge, and it started. Ran for about half a minute or so, too, long's the choke was kept on. Never thought to try that before that one though. Most won't start because the gas is evaporated & floating around in the air, I presume, in the lines & bowl. But it's there if you look; pull the bowl off next time and give it a look-see. I wouldn't suggest that for just anyone but I know you know everything there is to know about such things so you can do it without problems or ruining the gasket.
Twayne

JimR wrote:

Another possibility is the oil level. Fill the crankcase until the oil runs over, then cap it. In my experience, newer generators have a VERY sensitive low-oil sensor. Mine looked full, but wouldn't start until I completely filled it....

that's a great way to blow the seals out.
AZ Nomad wrote:

Worked for me, and the gen's been fine since Ivan...
On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 21:20:42 -0500, AZ Nomad

Many say to fill it completely, there is a fill hole and it is supposed to be to the the top of the fill hole. I have several pieces of power equipment including a generator with that requirement. Overfilling these is impossible, they are designed to be idiot proof and don't even have dipsticks.

OK. The ones I've seen usually have a 2-3" dipstick in the fill cap.

That explains how one idiot makes it work<g>
TWayne wrote:

Did he blow a seal, or is that ice cream on his chin?
A really good idiot will tip the generator on its side, and fill the hole at the top. You want me to overfill your generator? That's a challenge I can accept.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus