New garage door question(s)

Page 1 of 2
I'm looking at replacing my 40 year old wood garage door with something new. I'm in So.Cal so things like insulation are not important. What are the pros and cons of various types of materials such as wood, vinyl, steel and such? Top of the line is not what I'm after but would like something that will last for at least ten years.
Thanks,
Harry
on 9/29/2007 7:37 PM havan'at'earthlink.net said the following:

My wooden one has lasted more than 23 years, but it's under an overhang. :-) I would look for a vinyl or aluminum one. Both are light in weight. Steel can rust and is heavier than the others.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
<havan'at'earthlink.net> wrote in message

Any new door should last well over 10 years, even the mid line ones. .
I chose a steel door because it was insulated (I need that) and the finish was guaranteed for many years. Wood can look good, but is more prone to need paint, or to rod and just need more maintenance than the other materials. I'm not familiar with vinyl on doors, but it should last for many years, the color is solid so it won't scratch and does not dent easily.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

havan'at'earthlink.net wrote:

Steel with foam core for insulation which is for cold and warm climate.
<havan'at'earthlink.net> wrote in message

Attached garage?

Why should that matter?

Around here, there's been a rash of burglaries involving UNattached garages. They literally kick in the bottom panels of lightweight garage doors and make off with a lawnmower and other stuff. The cops figure they choose UNattached garages because the homeowner is less likely to hear the noise.
A heavier door might be indicated for unattached garages, unless you store your yard equipment in your living room.
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 16:37:12 -0700, havan'at'earthlink.net wrote:

What's the size? I am the garage door master.

Size? It's a standard single door for a two car garage.
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 21:35:00 -0700, Harry Avant wrote:

Single sided steel door is fine then.
havan'at'earthlink.net wrote:

Wood rots and needs painting.
Vinyl looks like vinyl.
That leaves steel.
On Sep 29, 6:37 pm, havan'at'earthlink.net wrote:

I always regretted not getting a row of lights (windows) on my garage doors, makes the garage brighter.
RickH wrote:

Get shades. Else strange folk can look in and see your stuff.

I greeted a stranger about a month ago, with a gun barrel, but it was the front door.
-- Oren
"I didnt say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."

Did he find that interesting? :-)
On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 21:57:46 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Eye balls widened and the comment was - "never mind" :-)) !
His female partner made the comment.
-- Oren

What was the reason for your metallic response? (And, I'm *not* about to be critical about that. I'm just curious.)
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Doesn't everyone?

Do you mean "isn't everyone?"
On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 23:30:34 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Call it a gut feeling, observations at the moment, training or whatever.
Some years ago, two cops (Las Vegas) were shooting pool in the open garage and two gang bangers decided to encroach and rob them. One was shot dead, the other went to a hospital jail.
Let this stay here (in Vegas) :-)
-- Oren