New commodes do not flush properly - Want the old type!

The very old commodes had external sewer gas traps and almost never failed to flush. Following the external trap models came commodes that had larger diameter traps and very seldom did they fail to flush. Now all the new models have smaller diameter traps (more astetic appearance) and fail to flush once or twice a week. Have to have a plunger always handy to clear the problem. Many of the ultra-soft tissues (e.g., Charmin Ultra) alone will stop up the new commodes. I am trying to find a commode manufacturer that still make the larger traps or external trap models. Anyone know of one?

Reply to
Tony.Fulford

Consumer Reports tested alot , maybe 30, I have a pressure flush Powermate on a Gerber that has never failed, look for a large glazed trap and read consumer reports.

Reply to
m Ransley

Buy a Toto brand toilet and throw away your plunger. TOTO=BEST.

cm

cm

power flush is noisey.

you can still buy the older 5 gallon flushers in canada.

e bay has them but shipping is expensive

Reply to
hallerb

Frankly I doubt if your problem is "new" commodes, rather it is poorly designed commodes. Note: price does not get you quality engineering, but rather fancy looks.

Check an independent testing group (like Consumer Reports) or take a look at a couple of specifications. The two most important are the size of the trap (anything less than 2 inches should be rejected) and look for a fully glazed trap. Those two together with using the usual #1 vs #2 flush will take care of almost any problem. The #1 flush is the one everyone seems to know about and use. The #2 involves holding the handle down for a few more seconds to get a full flush.

If that does not do it, then there are the power flush models, I suggest one that uses water pressure to provide the pressure. They do cost more and are more complex, but it appears the current models have reduced the noise problems and improved the reliability. Again check CR or other source for independent test results.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
Art Todesco

As I recall the Federal gov't forced this on us as an energy saving measure. The newer one's have a glazed trap so they are supposed to handle the waste better with the lower water consumption. The real problem is the low water usage. Since it is illegal to sell used toilets and illegal to sell anything but the lowest water consumption models yoou have a problem. Tell your congressrat.

Reply to
nothermark

It's various governmental departments working at cross-purposes.

On the one hand, the toilet department wants to conserve water by minimizing flush volume.

On the other, the health people encourage more fruits and vegetables in the diet. This change in food source results in more "floaters" which are harder to flush.

The government needs to recognize reality: One, there's no shortage of water; 70% of the earth is covered with it. And two, vegetables are not food; vegetables are what food eats.

Reply to
HeyBub

i was told that old style flushers are legal again in the US, after some government agency realized that 2 low volume flushes used more water than a single high volume flush......

they were always available in canada

Reply to
hallerb

Cite?

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

It was chalking (fine powder) not caulking. I can run my finger along the siding and get the powdery residue.

Reply to
hallerb

Toilet Review

Also check out
BTW- Toto is where it's at

Reply to
CraigT

You can thank the government for not allowing toilets to be sold that work properly. The US government continues to take away all of our rights and freedoms while they monitor everything we do. If you want a toilet that works properly, vote to get rid of the scum politicians that are now ruining America.

The reason toilets no longer flush properly is because the government restricts the amount of water allowed to flush them. After all, about

10% of the states in the USA have water shortages, so we must all pay the price.

Until they send out the Feds to inspect everyone's toilets, you can still install an old toilet or modify a new one. But just remember, in a few years the Feds will likely demand that everyone have a video camera pointed at every toilet, and have a water usage monitor connected to every toilet.

Remember this, and never forget it...... According to the government, you save water by flushing a 3.5 gallon capacity toilet twice per use (between plunging), rather than flushing the toilet once per use with a 5 gallon capacity. And just for the record, the government hired the best trained professionals in the world to calculate and determine these water saving facts, and since they hired the best, they are always right.

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

I have one of those air assited flushers after several "floods" in a downstairs bathroom. No worries or plunger anymore. If you live near Canada just hop over and buy one ( the old 5 gal type) , they'll let you through customs with it.

Reply to
Gary Niskanen

Buy a toilet with a Sloan pressure valve and that will take care of your problems. The Gerbers are quiet but have a high water level so buy the extra tall one. Kohler with Sloan valve are a bit noisier. No flappers to maintain and in 9 years with 4 toilets, only one has required any service whatsoever and Sloan sent me the replacement part for free plus some extras for the future.

Reply to
Art

Gerber with Sloan power flush valve is as quiet as gravity flush.

Reply to
Art

On Sat 13 May 2006 06:20:44a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Joseph Meehan?

Some flappers are designed to always give a full flush, or are adjustable to do so. In the toilets we have that is the only answer, but it does work.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

How about 42USC6295?

(k) Standards for water closets and urinals (1)(A) Except as provided in subparagraph (B), the maximum water use allowed in gallons per flush for any of the following water closets manufactured after January 1, 1994, is the following:

Gravity tank-type toilets 1.6 gpf. Flushometer tank toilets 1.6 gpf. Electromechanical hydraulic toilets 1.6 gpf. Blowout toilets 3.5 gpf.

(B) The maximum water use allowed for any gravity tank-type white 2-piece toilet which bears an adhesive label conspicuous upon installation consisting of the words "Commercial Use Only" manufactured after January 1, 1994, and before January 1, 1997, is 3.5 gallons per flush. (C) The maximum water use allowed for flushometer valve toilets, other than blowout toilets, manufactured after January 1, 1997, is 1.6 gallons per flush. (2) The maximum water use allowed for any urinal manufactured after January 1, 1994, is 1.0 gallon per flush.

Close enough?

Reply to
Keith Williams

Sorry didn't get this bit pasted:

. . l (II) is applicable to any sale or installation of all products in such type or class of low consumption water closet or low consumption urinal.

Reply to
Keith Williams

That bit is hard to follow, but it has something to do with new ANSI standards in conflict with state laws, nothing to do with selling used items.

If this is really illegal, then add another federal felony to my lengthy record of crimes. I sold a 1970s vintage Kohler toilet on eBay a few years back. The better quality ones from back then are really in demand.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch