New commodes do not flush properly - Want the old type!

Page 1 of 2
The very old commodes had external sewer gas traps and almost never failed to flush. Following the external trap models came commodes that had larger diameter traps and very seldom did they fail to flush. Now all the new models have smaller diameter traps (more astetic appearance) and fail to flush once or twice a week. Have to have a plunger always handy to clear the problem. Many of the ultra-soft tissues (e.g., Charmin Ultra) alone will stop up the new commodes. I am trying to find a commode manufacturer that still make the larger traps or external trap models. Anyone know of one?
Add pictures here
βœ–
Consumer Reports tested alot , maybe 30, I have a pressure flush Powermate on a Gerber that has never failed, look for a large glazed trap and read consumer reports.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Buy a Toto brand toilet and throw away your plunger. TOTOΎST.
cm
www.vintagetrailersforsale.com

Add pictures here
βœ–
power flush is noisey.
you can still buy the older 5 gallon flushers in canada.
e bay has them but shipping is expensive
Add pictures here
βœ–
Gerber with Sloan power flush valve is as quiet as gravity flush.

Add pictures here
βœ–
I am "stuck" with 3 American Standard toilets that are pure crap, pun intended. I put them in while redoing all three bathrooms. However, we have found that we can live with them by using the right paper and sometimes double flushing. Different brands of paper make a huge difference. Right now we are using the regular Northern .... not the "extra quilted" or whatever they call it. Also, sometimes a flush before adding paper (don't you likehow I put that so delicately?) is necessary. If I wasn't planning on a move in a year or so, I would start replacing them.
cm wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@SpringHopeConsulting.biz wrote:

Frankly I doubt if your problem is "new" commodes, rather it is poorly designed commodes. Note: price does not get you quality engineering, but rather fancy looks.
Check an independent testing group (like Consumer Reports) or take a look at a couple of specifications. The two most important are the size of the trap (anything less than 2 inches should be rejected) and look for a fully glazed trap. Those two together with using the usual #1 vs #2 flush will take care of almost any problem. The #1 flush is the one everyone seems to know about and use. The #2 involves holding the handle down for a few more seconds to get a full flush.
If that does not do it, then there are the power flush models, I suggest one that uses water pressure to provide the pressure. They do cost more and are more complex, but it appears the current models have reduced the noise problems and improved the reliability. Again check CR or other source for independent test results.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
βœ–
On Sat 13 May 2006 06:20:44a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Joseph Meehan?

Some flappers are designed to always give a full flush, or are adjustable to do so. In the toilets we have that is the only answer, but it does work.
--
Wayne Boatwright @Ώ@¬
_____________________
On 13 May 2006 04:16:15 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@SpringHopeConsulting.biz wrote:

As I recall the Federal gov't forced this on us as an energy saving measure. The newer one's have a glazed trap so they are supposed to handle the waste better with the lower water consumption. The real problem is the low water usage. Since it is illegal to sell used toilets and illegal to sell anything but the lowest water consumption models yoou have a problem. Tell your congressrat.
Add pictures here
βœ–
nothermark writes:

Cite?
Add pictures here
βœ–
It was chalking (fine powder) not caulking. I can run my finger along the siding and get the powdery residue.

βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@truetex.com says...

How about 42USC6295? http://uscode.house.gov/uscode-cgi/fastweb.exe ? getdoc+uscview+t41t42+5182+0++%281.6%20gallon%20toilet%29%20%20%20% 20%20%20%20%20%20%20
(k) Standards for water closets and urinals (1)(A) Except as provided in subparagraph (B), the maximum water use allowed in gallons per flush for any of the following water closets manufactured after January 1, 1994, is the following:
Gravity tank-type toilets 1.6 gpf. Flushometer tank toilets 1.6 gpf. Electromechanical hydraulic toilets 1.6 gpf. Blowout toilets 3.5 gpf.
(B) The maximum water use allowed for any gravity tank-type white 2-piece toilet which bears an adhesive label conspicuous upon installation consisting of the words "Commercial Use Only" manufactured after January 1, 1994, and before January 1, 1997, is 3.5 gallons per flush. (C) The maximum water use allowed for flushometer valve toilets, other than blowout toilets, manufactured after January 1, 1997, is 1.6 gallons per flush. (2) The maximum water use allowed for any urinal manufactured after January 1, 1994, is 1.0 gallon per flush.
Close enough?
--
Keith

Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzz says...

Sorry didn't get this bit pasted:
. . l (II) is applicable to any sale or installation of all products in such type or class of low consumption water closet or low consumption urinal.

--
Keith

Add pictures here
βœ–
Keith Williams writes:

That bit is hard to follow, but it has something to do with new ANSI standards in conflict with state laws, nothing to do with selling used items.
If this is really illegal, then add another federal felony to my lengthy record of crimes. I sold a 1970s vintage Kohler toilet on eBay a few years back. The better quality ones from back then are really in demand.
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@truetex.com says...

No, it says that the ANSI standards (or state laws) that supersede the requirements set down in the law will take precedence.

Once again, illegal <> felony. eBay is *not* supposed to list them though.

Guess why. OTOH, I'll just take a short trip across the border if I need to replace a toilet.
--
Keith

Add pictures here
βœ–
They sell vintage toilets all over on the net.
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@SpringHopeConsulting.biz wrote:

It's various governmental departments working at cross-purposes.
On the one hand, the toilet department wants to conserve water by minimizing flush volume.
On the other, the health people encourage more fruits and vegetables in the diet. This change in food source results in more "floaters" which are harder to flush.
The government needs to recognize reality: One, there's no shortage of water; 70% of the earth is covered with it. And two, vegetables are not food; vegetables are what food eats.
Add pictures here
βœ–
i was told that old style flushers are legal again in the US, after some government agency realized that 2 low volume flushes used more water than a single high volume flush......
they were always available in canada
Add pictures here
βœ–
Toilet Review http://www.calgary.ca/docgallery/bu/cww/map_testing/map_testing_edition_6.pdf
Also check out http://www.terrylove.com /
BTW- Toto is where it's at

Add pictures here
βœ–
You can thank the government for not allowing toilets to be sold that work properly. The US government continues to take away all of our rights and freedoms while they monitor everything we do. If you want a toilet that works properly, vote to get rid of the scum politicians that are now ruining America.
The reason toilets no longer flush properly is because the government restricts the amount of water allowed to flush them. After all, about 10% of the states in the USA have water shortages, so we must all pay the price.
Until they send out the Feds to inspect everyone's toilets, you can still install an old toilet or modify a new one. But just remember, in a few years the Feds will likely demand that everyone have a video camera pointed at every toilet, and have a water usage monitor connected to every toilet.
Remember this, and never forget it...... According to the government, you save water by flushing a 3.5 gallon capacity toilet twice per use (between plunging), rather than flushing the toilet once per use with a 5 gallon capacity. And just for the record, the government hired the best trained professionals in the world to calculate and determine these water saving facts, and since they hired the best, they are always right.
Mark