New Cable Drop from Cable Company

Had to call the cable company to install a new service drop to our house after a major remodeling took the old one out. I asked them just to do the outside wiring because I can do the inside no problem. They left the end of the wire coiled up and unterminated, but now alongside the RG6 the company also ran a much thinner wire, looks to be stranded aluminum inside a black jacket. Now what would that wire be for? I know how to terminate the RG6 but not the smaller one because I don't know what it does, would it be for a ground? First time seeing it like this. Called the cable company, no help there, they'd only send a tech out and I won't be there.

Thanks!

Reply to
sleepdog

its a ground wire... should go to a plate on the overhang of house....andthen another ground wire goes to this plate and in my case to the Ground rod in the MUD(ground).

Reply to
dennis bird

Probably not Aluminum; more likely steel. It is used as a mechanical support for the cable and should be terminated by being wrapped around an eye-hook or similar (don't remove the "insulation" - it'll rust).

Look at the other end of the cable for additional clues.

Reply to
HeyBub

That is known in the telephone world as "suspension strand". Of the CATV drops I've seen so equipped, it's a SOLID wire.

While it is often bonded to an earth ground at the house, I have never seen one bonded to anything at the pole.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

dennis bird posted for all of us...

BZZZT wrong answer. Next contestant please - no consolation prize.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Hmm. Mine is attached to the wire-rope that holds up the signal cable. That is, a wire-rope, about 3/8" strings from pole to pole. The signal cable hangs from the wire-rope. Every so often there's a splitter box and the signal cable from the splitter box drops to my house. This signal cable's "suspension strand" is attached to an eye-hook at my house and clamped to the wire-rope at the pole end.

Reply to
HeyBub