New and not approved.

Here we are in the land of the tropical storm and hurricane.
Now we have a new way (at least to me) of mounting a small dish.
I suppose we will have a new category to list in the Saffir-Simpson scale.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/HAW2/english/basics/saffir_simpson.shtml
What do you think? Will it blow away in a Cat 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5?
At least I don't live close to this installation.
Here it is at http://tinyurl.com/lacusk
Charlie.

giving much more wind resistance. The job was well thought out taking aerodynamics into consideration. Must be one of the Rocket Surgeons did that.
Next time, compose a more informative and useful subject line.
It got you to look.

Wanna see cinder block fly through the air? Leave it up on the roof during a hurricane.
Charlie wrote:

If at all possible, don't mount a satellite dish on the roof - put it where you can reach it: on the deck railing, on a pole in a pot of concrete, wherever. It's easier to fuss with, take inside, remove snow, re-aim, etc.
Putting antennas up high is a remnant from TV days. The difference between 25,000 miles from the ground and 24,999 miles, 5260 feet from the roof is negligible

and trees between the antenna and the signal source. Sometimes you can achieve that with something on a 6' pole in your yard and sometimes you need it on your roof.
I notice the "yard mounts" in places where the disk "looks" across a public road which means that trees are far enough away that they aren't a problem.
In a town house community I am familiar with, the "dish" folks put them at the peak of the roofs. I suspect that among other things it keeps folks from screwing with it.

Bullshit...Mine is on the roof because of TREES....It was the ONLY spot we could get a clear shot....Unlike an antenna a dish must have an unobstructed view of the satellite...
benick wrote:

Of course. But some people don't realize that you can actually put the satellite dish INSIDE your house - if you can point it through a window...

You would lose some signal through the glass and if the outside of the glass is dirty, you'd lose most of your signal. Putting the antenna in your house would probably also cause you to lose a favorite chair, couch or table. Maybe a bulb and shade could be added so that people would think it's a contemporary lamp.
Sanity wrote:

Well, yeah, but there might be compelling reasons. You might not want the tax man or, God Forbid, the HOA to know you're renting out your garage to a university student.
Charlie wrote:

common on flat roofs. If you were to look at your average shopping center it would have a bunch of dishes all held down by either blocks or sand bags to avoid penetrations through the rubber or vinyl roofs.
George wrote:

Sand bags seem like the better idea.