New 16 In. electric saw/OIL?

I just purchased a Craftsman 16 In. electric chain saw. Question: It does not say what kind of oil to put in for lubricating the chain????? It did not come with a sample of oil. Can I use regular motor oil??

Reply to
edb

not really. get chainsaw bar oil. i've used motor oil in a pinch and as i remember it is too thin to really lubricate the chain well. chainsaw bar oil has a lot of wax in it to make it sticky.

Reply to
marson

What does it say in the manual?

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan

No, but your owner's manual says to use bar and chain oil.

Reply to
Bob M.

Not always. I bought a 10" electric "chainsaw on a stick" for cutting limbs. Regular chainsaw oil wouldn't go thru the oiler so I resorted to reading the book. It said to use 30W automotive oil. I did and it did.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

any oil is better than no eoil, the purpose of the oil is to dissipate heat which is waht dulls a saw. the only difference between automotive motor oil and chain oil is the ingrediant they put in chain oil to make it stick longer and not fly off the chain.

Reply to
steve

Buy chainsaw bar oil at Walmart for the best price. A gallon is about $5 and should last a long time or buy a quart for about $1.50.

You can use regular motor oil but you have to mix in one of the heavy oils used for old engines, e.g. Motor Honey. Mix ratio should be around 4 oz of heavy oil to a quart of motor oil. Much easier to just buy the stuff from Walmart.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

replying to edb, hook1 wrote: craftsman electric chainsaws use only 30 w motor oil bar oil is to thick for oiler

Reply to
hook1

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

I wonder how the gerbils are dealing with holidays? Tragic...

Reply to
Tekkie®