New 13L toillet not flushing well

I just bought a new American Standard Cadet III toilet. I installed it myself, using a wax ring with a plastic horn. For some reason it does not flush well. I played with the flapper chain and water level float, and even when I get a full flush with flapper up during full flush, it seems to flush slowly. When the bowl is full, I always require several flushes to get the stuff down. I even tried to use a pail, to flush down solids and it required two pails full.

I don't remember having any problems with the previous toilet. The only reason I changed the toilet was because my wife wanted it to match the color of the new bathtub.

What could the problem be? Before removing toilet, could the wax seal even be a possible cause? (incorrect seal between the wax ring and toilet). I don't see any leaking.

The bathtub which uses the same waste pipe (about 5 feet away) seems to have good drainage, so I can't imagine it being related to a vent problem.

Reply to
martini

Plastic horn (funnel) pointing down right. Sure, the wax ring may have extruded into the drain opening and partially obstructed it.

To make any progress you're going to have to remove the toilet and test the drain and toilet seperately. Just take the throne in the back yard and bucket flush it there if an obstruction in the drain dosen't become obvious.

Might you or an assistant have plugged the open drain with a rag while the toilet was off and forgot to remove it.

Reply to
PipeDown

Thanks,

I'll try removing the toilet this weekend and let you know. Hope it is something simple. If a rag did end up in the pipes, I'll probably have to call a plumber to snake it out or push it through.

I hope not, Steven

Reply to
martini